Animal Positioning On Trophy Shots

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Modifly1
Tracker

Animal Positioning On Trophy Shots

Post by Modifly1 »

Okay, this is one I've been meaning to ask for a long time now. How do you manually position an animal during a trophy shot? I know about clicking the mouse and dragging but I find it an absolute nightmare to get the position I want. It tends to just make the animal do some really weird things half the time and is a real struggle. I had a whitetail once that I spent about 5 minutes on just trying to get the head raised so that I could hold it in the 'Deer Hunter' pose. How does one easily position the animal to where you want it without all the difficulty, especially when I don't have a predefined pose? Rather, how does one master the mouse movements to get it where one wants. The video on the wikia makes it seem so easy.

-Thanks.

This is my rifle...it's a Mauser...it mauses.
Swampfox
Outfitter

Re: Animal Positioning On Trophy Shots

Post by Swampfox »

Hi Modifly1, if you go to the Hunter Store and scroll down the left column to the Trophy Shot Poses listing, there are Animal Shot Trophy Packs which you can purchase with em$s for every Animal Species, including Birds and all Waterfowl, that are in the Hunter Classic Game.
Also worth purchasing are the Hunter Trophy Poses which give you quite a combination of different poses for your Trophy Screen Shots.

Purchasing these will save you some time during a hunt while trying to get that perfect screen shot with your Trophy Animal but the cost for the Animal Trophy Pack is 150 em$ so best just to select and purchase those over time or check out the Bundles items in the Store.
That can save you some $$$ while collecting several species included in a Bundle. 8-)
Spoiler:
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Here is a video with tips and tricks how to position animals. It was made before the trophy poses came along.

My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Modifly1
Tracker

Post by Modifly1 »

Well I have already started buying some. But as I say, it's the trick for manual that I'm looking for. I'll check the video.

xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Definitely watch the video. But it's mostly just patience and trying different things. With most animals, I pose the body first (lay it on one side or prop it upright, position it where I want it in the frame). Next thing I do is adjust the limbs and tail so they're not bent in unnatural positions or clipping through each other. I do almost all of this with the camera in the position I intend to take the picture from. The last thing I do with the animal is swing the camera around so I'm facing it's back, and grab one of two things depending on the species. If it is a species that has a hitbox on it's horns/antlers (not all of them do), I'll grab the antler that will be closer to the body with an upright head, and use that to position the head. If the head is in a good position but looking too upright or downwards, grabbing the back of the head quickly (as in, just clicking, not clicking and holding) can sometimes bump it into a better position. If the animal doesn't have horns/antlers or they don't have hitboxes, I'll use the back of the animal's head to adjust the head position. It really is just a lot of trail and error and patience.
splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

xOEDragonx wrote:Definitely watch the video. But it's mostly just patience and trying different things. With most animals, I pose the body first (lay it on one side or prop it upright, position it where I want it in the frame). Next thing I do is adjust the limbs and tail so they're not bent in unnatural positions or clipping through each other. I do almost all of this with the camera in the position I intend to take the picture from. The last thing I do with the animal is swing the camera around so I'm facing it's back, and grab one of two things depending on the species. If it is a species that has a hitbox on it's horns/antlers (not all of them do), I'll grab the antler that will be closer to the body with an upright head, and use that to position the head. If the head is in a good position but looking too upright or downwards, grabbing the back of the head quickly (as in, just clicking, not clicking and holding) can sometimes bump it into a better position. If the animal doesn't have horns/antlers or they don't have hitboxes, I'll use the back of the animal's head to adjust the head position. It really is just a lot of trail and error and patience.
LOTs of trial and error and practice and especially patience!! :lol:

There is at least one thread on the forum here somewhere when they had (weekly?) trophy shot contests, which was back before they offered the poses for sale. They are fun to look through, and you can see where some efforts in manually posing can make for some nice photos!
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

Modifly1
Tracker

Post by Modifly1 »

Well that's it. I was trying today since the poses for whitetail didn't quite have the look I was aiming for. What animal is the 'Reverent' pose with holding antlers useful for? Since I could never make it fit the Whitetail. Every time I tried to get the head into position either my character would 'scoot' away from it due to collision detection or would just straight up do some weird things with the animal's head.

xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

I recommend moving your avatar away from the animal at the start of the trophy shot. Pose the animal before you even mess with the human at all. That will reduce the chances of that odd collision thing even triggering. Once it happens, there's no fixing the collision thing and your avatar will continue to slide away from the animal making any of the poses where you hold something useless.
Modifly1
Tracker

Post by Modifly1 »

I'll give it a shot next hunt.

Return to “General Chat”