Shotgun for Turkeys?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Luziano
Hunter

Shotgun for Turkeys?

Post by Luziano »

I always hunted turkeys with bows, so I have no experience using shotguns for turkey. Quick question for those of you who hunt them with shotguns, does the noise spook birds that are not near by just like shot noises spook deer, etc? If so you can you spook birds out of render range? Ej. You shoot, spook them and fly away lets say 120 meters. You shoot again and then they will flee away another 120meters, putting them outside the range of your calls.

Thanks for the info!
Dr_ViEr
Hunter

Re: Shotgun for Turkeys?

Post by Dr_ViEr »

Luziano wrote:I always hunted turkeys with bows, so I have no experience using shotguns for turkey. Quick question for those of you who hunt them with shotguns, does the noise spook birds that are not near by just like shot noises spook deer, etc? If so you can you spook birds out of render range? Ej. You shoot, spook them and fly away lets say 120 meters. You shoot again and then they will flee away another 120meters, putting them outside the range of your calls.

Thanks for the info!
Yes
Spoiler:
Dr_ViEr
Hunter

Post by Dr_ViEr »

Best for turkey is the xbow-pistol
Spoiler:
Luziano
Hunter

Post by Luziano »

Thank you. Yes I have experience with the xbow pistol I wanted to try something new.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

You might like to consider the .22 grasshopper pistol for turkeys as well . It is zeroed at 100m with the big pistol scope and does not spook anything outside of 100m.
If you are shooting closer than that you will need to aim lower, eg at 25m just use the first checkmark above the crosshair, and adjust your sighting dropping back to the crosshair gradually, as you increase back to 100. I have shot Turkeys right across the lake on whitehart, 200m plus.
Works exactly the same with the wood grouse and rabbits..
Also takes up way less room in the backpack than the shotgun and can go in the pistol slot.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Luziano
Hunter

Post by Luziano »

DanthemanBoone wrote:You might like to consider the .22 grasshopper pistol for turkeys as well . It is zeroed at 100m with the big pistol scope and does not spook anything outside of 100m.
If you are shooting closer than that you will need to aim lower, eg at 25m just use the first checkmark above the crosshair, and adjust your sighting dropping back to the crosshair gradually, as you increase back to 100. I have shot Turkeys right across the lake on whitehart, 200m plus.
Works exactly the same with the wood grouse and rabbits..
Also takes up way less room in the backpack than the shotgun and can go in the pistol slot.
I have it, but havent used it that much. Will give it a try!

BTW still doing some testing. Shot 2 turkeys right on my decoys, then after about 15 seconds shot another bird, the turkeys left alive were still within the 220 range... Will be testing some more.
Luziano
Hunter

Post by Luziano »

I have to admit I glady trade the # of birds for the rewarding puff of feathers...
But that's just me...
splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

Luziano wrote:I have to admit I glady trade the # of birds for the rewarding puff of feathers...
But that's just me...
It all depends on your goal that hunt. I also enjoy the feather explosion as much as I do watching the other birds fall out of the sky. :D As non-airborne turkeys count in competitions, though, I do like the crossbow pistol for them the best, and the .22 grasshopper next.
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

Luziano
Hunter

Post by Luziano »

Yes, I have been using the xbow pistol so far as imho its the most efficient way to deal with turkeys, but the most boring also. Glad I discovered the shotgun. Killing 3 birds with one shot is priceless.

Return to “General Chat”