Turkey Decoys counterproductive?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Luziano
Hunter

Turkey Decoys counterproductive?

Post by Luziano »

Ok, I recently bought some turkey decoys and decided to give them a try. The problem I have is the following:

For max. efficiency killing turkeys bow shots at their chest drops them instantly. That is why I always hunt them from a ground blind (100% camo, so they dont see me, and as they head straight towards the blind from where I am calling they present their chest for my arrows...

Now enter decoys. Whenever they see the decoys, they turn away and head towards them, no longer giving me their sweet chest and instead most of the times, showing me their sides (which we all know, side shots on turkey on this game are a no no since they fly fly and spook everything around.

My conclusion is that Turkey Decoys are counterproductive.
What has been your experience with them so far?
trulight
Scout

Re: Turkey Decoys counterproductive?

Post by trulight »

Mostly used to put them at the exact range you want, And i always shoot side shots off mine, and they drop instantly. most of the time.
Luziano
Hunter

Post by Luziano »

As I see absolute no scenario where adding a decoy to a setup would be helpful, I think they should add a bonus to prevent the dying turkey from spooking those around him. That way they would be useful instead of a waste of money and more important, time.
Luziano
Hunter

Post by Luziano »

trulight wrote:Mostly used to put them at the exact range you want, And i always shoot side shots off mine, and they drop instantly. most of the time.
With a bow? Where do you place your arrows? I have 100% drop chance from the front.
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

Luziano wrote:
trulight wrote:Mostly used to put them at the exact range you want, And i always shoot side shots off mine, and they drop instantly. most of the time.
With a bow? Where do you place your arrows? I have 100% drop chance from the front.
Honestly just dead center of the bird, If the shot is at the zerod distance of the pin (And they are at zeroed distance as the decoys make sure of that), and not long distance it will kill instantly no matter where it hits.
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

Also keep in mind, i usually set my decoys at LEAST 30m--40m from me, so the sound of the bow don't spook either ;)
Luziano
Hunter

Post by Luziano »

Oh you must be using Pulsar or Python thats why. I use recurve at 20 meters (They only spook at 5 meters).
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

Luziano wrote:Oh you must be using Pulsar or Python thats why. I use recurve at 20 meters (They only spook at 5 meters).
That explains why you think the way you do about having to have a heart shot, the other bows hit harder, therefor side shots are effective.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Treestand. 1 decoy. Crossbow pistol. Turns turkey hunting into an arcade shooter. The only challenge left is to not shoot them when they are too close to each other, or too far away. Otherwise, chest, side, head, what every you hit, boom dead.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

Hoo, you just described my final day getting the fool turkeys! :lol: The same setup works well with the grouse as well.

That crossbow pistol is great fun! :)
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

Return to “General Chat”