Turkey Decoys counterproductive?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Luziano
Hunter

Re: Turkey Decoys counterproductive?

Post by Luziano »

trulight wrote:
Luziano wrote:Oh you must be using Pulsar or Python thats why. I use recurve at 20 meters (They only spook at 5 meters).
That explains why you think the way you do about having to have a heart shot, the other bows hit harder, therefor side shots are effective.
Yes, I guess that's it. I´ve tried Pulsar, but discarded it because of its noise spooking the turkeys. So for using that bow I need to be further than 30m away?
calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

no !
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

Luziano wrote:
trulight wrote:
Luziano wrote:Oh you must be using Pulsar or Python thats why. I use recurve at 20 meters (They only spook at 5 meters).
That explains why you think the way you do about having to have a heart shot, the other bows hit harder, therefor side shots are effective.
Yes, I guess that's it. I´ve tried Pulsar, but discarded it because of its noise spooking the turkeys. So for using that bow I need to be further than 30m away?
No, that's just works for me, I don't know what the spook distance is, nor do I remember for all bows but 30-40m seems to be a good medium for all bows :)
Luziano
Hunter

Post by Luziano »

trulight wrote:
Luziano wrote:
trulight wrote:
No, that's just works for me, I don't know what the spook distance is, nor do I remember for all bows but 30-40m seems to be a good medium for all bows :)
I gave your suggestion a try and indeed, you are right at 30 meters they dont spook to the Pulsar (The bow I tested with) and it drops birds easily (although my rate is about 80% of insta drop, either Im not as accomplished a shooter with it as I am with the recurve)... Will need further testing.

Now the problem I find besides not being able to rangefind the decoys themselves to set them at the right distance... is that you need to already know where the turkeys are in order to place the decoys accordingly. Something that I, as hunting from a blind I never cared about. That or create a circle of decoys around you... which I did, but found it somewhat annoying.

How do you deal with that situation yourself?
Luziano
Hunter

Post by Luziano »

I was thinking, and I guess the problem arises in particular when you try to match blind + decoys. Because with a blind you already have 100% camo. The decoys camo bonus adds nothing in that scenario.

They may be useful for shooting birds from the ground or a treestand, where your camo bonus never reaches 100%.
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

All good, as far as strategies wasn't referencing it as in the setup themselves, just that the decoys are particularly good at getting the birds where you want them, and out of spook range, and the heavier bows will take them down on side shots. Wanted to cover it doesn't have to be head on. "I THINK, this is my oppinion from what i've seen" That weapons have initial impact damage, plus the bleed factor is different. Most of the heavier bows on bird hits will kill them instantly just from the initial hit. Now take for instance a rabbit and the weak 22 handgun or rifle and you hit them in the ear, they just keep trucking away. HOWEVER if you hit them with a compound bow in the ear they drop on the spot. Gotta be something in the mechanics. Just something to chew on.

Same as the reference to the longbow (Another weak bow weapon) Hit a canadian goose in the wing or non vital it flies away with your arrow. HIt it with a heaver bow in the wing, or a non vital, it drops on the spot. That's why i think it's impact/penetration damage figured on initial impact. Which needs to be improved on a lot of the weapons vs small animals/birds. Makes the longbow mission a PITA to hit a flying canada goose, and then when you do you watch it fly away with your arrow (Which isn't suppose to happen). Credit to support for everytime I turn this mission in with the binocs on a goose with an arrow in it, they credit the mission/
Luziano
Hunter

Post by Luziano »

As I explored other ways of hunting turkey (namely shotgun hunting them without blind or Treestands) I realized how useful they are.

So if they do not make much sense if you happen to be using a blind (you already got all the camo you can get) they are invaluable for hunting turkeys on the move.

Return to “General Chat”