Bear Baiting?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Serengetti

Bear Baiting?

Post by Serengetti »

Hi Guys,
The bait supply says it's good for 50 times. Does that mean 50 hunts, 50 bears , 50 days, or what? If I set up a bait site, and don't use it for several days, does it get used up while I'm not playing the game? Any other advice about how to best use the bait barrel and bait would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
splainin2do
Outfitter

Re: Bear Baiting?

Post by splainin2do »

As soon as you put bait in a feeder/barrel, it begins to go away. It takes 4 (real time) hours before the feeder begins to attract.

You do not have to fill the feeder completely; you can put in a set number of units. Each unit lasts for 2 hours + 20 minutes (real time). That means if you log in to your account through a web browser at 2:00 pm to use 'Settings/Game management/bait sites' to put 4 units in a feeder, at 6:00 pm your feeder is active and attracting animals, and will stay active until a bit after it's time to go to bed at 11:00 pm.

Not that I log into my account while I'm at work simply in order to set up my map for hunting once I get home... :roll: :lol:
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

Serengetti

Post by Serengetti »

[quote="splainin2do"]As soon as you put bait in a feeder/barrel, it begins to go away. It takes 4 (real time) hours before the feeder begins to attract.

You do not have to fill the feeder completely; you can put in a set number of units. Each unit lasts for 2 hours + 20 minutes (real time). That means if you log in to your account through a web browser at 2:00 pm to use 'Settings/Game management/bait sites' to put 4 units in a feeder, at 6:00 pm your feeder is active and attracting animals, and will stay active until a bit after it's time to go to bed at 11:00 pm.

Thanks! I think I get it now. So, the bait starts wearing out from the moment it's placed in the feeder, but doesn't start attracting animals until it's been out for 4 hours. Each unit lasts 2hrs. and 20 minutes and you get 50 units in each purchase of bait. Is that correct?
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

Serengetti wrote:
splainin2do wrote:As soon as you put bait in a feeder/barrel, it begins to go away. It takes 4 (real time) hours before the feeder begins to attract.

Thanks! I think I get it now. So, the bait starts wearing out from the moment it's placed in the feeder, but doesn't start attracting animals until it's been out for 4 hours. Each unit lasts 2hrs. and 20 minutes and you get 50 units in each purchase of bait. Is that correct?
If you put in 50 units after four hours and it goes active it will last 100 hours real time.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

10 units are consumbed over 24 hours.
50 units last 120 hours.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Serengetti

Post by Serengetti »

So, I bought the feeder and bait, but can't set it up. The barrel is like a tent - hard to get the white outline even on very flat clear ground. What's with that? I have the bait in my inventory, but how do I get it into the barrel? Will someone PLEASE outline the whole process step by step. This dummy thanks you in advance.
splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

Serengetti wrote:Thanks! I think I get it now. So, the bait starts wearing out from the moment it's placed in the feeder, but doesn't start attracting animals until it's been out for 4 hours. Each unit lasts 2hrs. and 20 minutes and you get 50 units in each purchase of bait. Is that correct?
Perfect! You've got it! :D
HooCairs wrote:10 units are consumbed over 24 hours.
50 units last 120 hours.
Thanks, Hoo. I knew the other math was off, but was having brain farts trying to do that in my head.

But wait... now I'm thinking my math is off...!
(Gets pen & paper...)
If 50 units lasts for 120 hours, then each single unit actually lasts for 2 hours 24 minutes!

Now I remember what I did... it was easier to do quick math by rounding the time into the 20 minute (1/3 hour) blocks. 3 units last 7 hours, 6 units last 14 hours, etc. Having a few extra minutes to spare was no big deal, compared to wasting whole units of bait while I couldn't be hunting! ;)

splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

Serengetti wrote:So, I bought the feeder and bait, but can't set it up. The barrel is like a tent - hard to get the white outline even on very flat clear ground. What's with that? I have the bait in my inventory, but how do I get it into the barrel? Will someone PLEASE outline the whole process step by step. This dummy thanks you in advance.
The barrel cannot be put up too close to a tent... and that is quite a bit of distance. It will let you know how "too close" you are when you try to place the barrel.
I distinctly remember as a newbie, trying to set up my first bear barrel. I put the tent down, got my barrel out of the tent, tried to put it down, then having to put it back in the tent, pick up the tent, run far away with the tent, put the tent down, get the barrel, run back to where I wanted to place it, discovered I was still too close to the tent, run back to the tent, move the tent some more.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

Once you finally get your barrel placed, you may want to put the bait in the barrel while you're right there next to it. To do that, you will need to have the bait actually with you, as an item you can use, not just purchased (that was my other newbie mistake! Run back to the tent again... :oops: ). When you have the bait with you as a usable item and hit the "E", you can fill it with single or multiple units, or move/remove the barrel.

My preference for filling the barrel is actually doing it OUTSIDE of the game, through the website. Log in at http://www.thehunter.com, then go to Settings, Game Management, Bait Sites. For just 85 gm$, you can put as many units in your barrel as you want, without spending any time "in game" to do so.

JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Hoocairs and his wonderful team of wiki monkeys have outlined in detail how baiting works in the Wiki. The Wiki is the best online resource available for all things Hunter Classic!! Thank you Hoo!! And thank you Monkeys!! :)

https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/Baiting
TurboKid
Tracker

Post by TurboKid »

splainin2do wrote:
Serengetti wrote: I distinctly remember as a newbie, trying to set up my first bear barrel. I put the tent down, got my barrel out of the tent, tried to put it down, then having to put it back in the tent, pick up the tent, run far away with the tent, put the tent down, get the barrel, run back to where I wanted to place it, discovered I was still too close to the tent, run back to the tent, move the tent some more.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

Once you finally get your barrel placed, you may want to put the bait in the barrel while you're right there next to it. To do that, you will need to have the bait actually with you, as an item you can use, not just purchased (that was my other newbie mistake! Run back to the tent again... :oops: ). When you have the bait with you as a usable item and hit the "E", you can fill it with single or multiple units, or move/remove the barrel.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

oh man that brought back some memories

Return to “General Chat”