How To Aim Correctly

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Modifly1
Tracker

Re: How To Aim Correctly

Post by Modifly1 »

Right, this photo is of one of my last kills today. I ran out of my Mauser rounds since I used 3 of 'em on 1 Moose today plus a few others I got. But this one whitetail has really irritated me. Bear in mind that I spent a good portion of my hunt at the addictions range practicing from all kinds of angles on the whitetails and generally hitting some kind of organ for all shots I tried to actually hit well on. This shot was taken with the .243 from approximately 80m and shows a hit roughly where I was aiming. I was slightly downhill of him and my Angle On Bow relative to him was around 135 degrees to starboard. I was practically anywhere in the 3/4 view range from behind. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how that shot didn't hit a damn thing. I use 'Hunting Simulator' for the phone which I paid for and is designed to have actual organs with a x-ray view and realistic dynamics, I very rarely hit nothing on that sim. So can someone tell me where I went wrong here?

This is my rifle...it's a Mauser...it mauses.
Modifly1
Tracker

Post by Modifly1 »

Okay, admittedly, this might be why. Yes? No? Maybe? I dunno, that shot still seems hard not to hit right. you can see the little white line going into the top of the spine and going clean out. If that was a genuine miss, then I guess I keep aiming too far forward.

xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

In the real world, I'd tell you that shot is a bit high. There's a spot on a deer just above the lungs and just below the spine that is generally considered a non-lethal area (for bow hunters mainly). A lot of folks call it "no man's land." Some seem to believe there is hollow dead space there, but that is not the case. It's simply an area where it is possible to skip overtop the lungs and barely touch the bottom of the spine. With a firearm, this spot is still usually lethal due to the trauma of the bullet impact. Many deer can survive a bow shot to the area though.

My assumption is that there is a theoretical "no man's land" on the deer model, and many other animal models in the game. In the real world, most organs touch and overlap. In videogames, that's not always the case. A polygon of some sort exists inside the model representing the lungs and other vital organs. A separate polygon exist for each spine section. There is likely just a blank, empty space between the polygon of the lungs and the polygon of the spine, and you happened to find it.

But like I said, the short answer is that your shot is slightly high.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Yup! You missed.

Why did you aim so high and a bit forward too?

Always aim for the far leg, center lung.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Modifly1
Tracker

Post by Modifly1 »

I didn't even think that was too forward. I am aware that from that angle I fired from, aiming further back will obviously allow for such an angle, but that shot was the back of the foreleg? I thought that would have been far back enough? As for being high, probably my mistake, I'm not the steadiest with the .243, I tend to prefer my 8mm which was out of ammo. Also, what do you mean when you say 'far leg, center lung'?

Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

Modifly1 wrote:Also, what do you mean when you say 'far leg, center lung'?
He means imagine you can see through the animal and aim for the shoulder/leg on the far side of the animal. This would place your shot further back in the 3/4 view you described. A full broadside side shot where you hit may have been okay (hitting shoulder blade and then lung) but from the 3/4 view described your shot needed to be further back.
Modifly1
Tracker

Post by Modifly1 »

Aah dang it. What irritates me is that when I practice I usually do alright. I always seem to make mistakes when it's the real thing. I guess it's because my time is limited. If I wait too long they walk off and walking shots don't tend to pay off from my experience. Or worse, they flee. But I tend to prefer ending a hunt wishing I took the shot than to ending a hunt wishing I didn't. I'll just have to keep working it and get better with time.

One other thing by the way, I took a shot on a Moose with my Kar98 and didn't realise how far off I was. I took a shot from 244 metres which meant my bullet when rather low. Very low. It hit the leg. Now I have got the aforementioned hunting sim on the phone but I don't know the ballistics model used in game. Is there anywhere where I could find a chart for the drop vs range in this game?

Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

I don't think such a chart exists, I just judge on experience with various guns. Some guns perform quite well at range with little drop (.300, 7mm, .30) others are horrible and have drastic drop (9.3x74R). I tend to avoid using the really bad ones beyond 150m. From what I remember the Kar98 is not that bad but def need some adjustment at that range.
Modifly1
Tracker

Post by Modifly1 »

and at what range does the 4x42mm scope zero at? I was led to believe it was 100metres? Metres or yards?

Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

Modifly1 wrote:and at what range does the 4x42mm scope zero at? I was led to believe it was 100metres? Metres or yards?
Per the wiki 100m: https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/8x57_ ... tion_Rifle

Return to “General Chat”