Disappearing tracks

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Knoeyedea

Disappearing tracks

Post by Knoeyedea »

Several times now I'll be on the track of a wounded animal, and while tracking it down, I get a chance to bring another animal down. After retrieving that animal I go back to start tracking the wounded one again, and the tracks have disappeared. Poof.. gone. Anyone else experience this? I guess it's not a bad glitch, but I hate being chastised by Doc, if you know what I mean.
BTW...I love this game.
splainin2do
Outfitter

Re: Disappearing tracks

Post by splainin2do »

It happens most often in Hemmeldal and Whiterime, if a game has ben ring for a long time and/or is a multiplayer game. But, it doesn't always happen. I'm wondering why it's happened to you "several" times?
BTW: I love this game, too! :)
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Tracks will disappear if you leave it too long to follow them up. In order to save computer loads tracks start disappearing as new tracks are laid by the animals moving around in the game. Best time you can expect tracks to last is an hour game time but depending on how many tracks there are out there it may be less.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Bonedigger777
Tracker

Post by Bonedigger777 »

I had that happen in TGT. I shot one mule deer a single lung shot with the bow. It ran off one way. Then I hit another one a body shot with the bow and it ran off in the opposite direction. I figured the lung shot would be fairly close and easy to find so I started tracking the body shot. By the time I tracked it down my treestand where the lung shot blood tracks were was out of range of the huntermate. When I got back all of the tracks including the blood tracks had disappeared. I figured it was because I got out of render range.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I've had it happen but only when it's taken a long time to track an animal. When a good shot registers as a body shot. How in the world can a frontal center chest shot be a body shot? It has to hit vitals before it stops penetrating. Especially, if you're shooting a gun with enough power to reach intestines. It seems to happen mostly with deer. I can't remember taking a frontal shot on an elk that didn't drop it on the spot. In real hunting we called it a DRT hit. (Dead Right There)

Tracks seem to disappear between 45min-1 hr.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

There are two different things being discussed here. One is a function of the game, where old tracks disappear after a while to accomadate new tracks being made on the map (if old tracks didn't disappear eventually, maps would be a mess after 2-3 hours). The other is an actual bug where fairly new tracks (even less than a minute real time old) disappear right in front of you.

I'm not sure which is applicable to your situation Knoeyedea. If you're getting distracted for 30 minutes real time or more before returning to the injured animal track, it could just be disappearing from age. But if you're following tracks and you're noticing that they're literally disappearing right before your eyes even though they're fresh, it's a known bug. And like Splainin said, it's worse on some maps than others. I don't recall having this issue on Whiterime, but I see it literally every single time I'm on Hemmeldal. It makes tracking difficult as some times only the next couple tracks disappear (usually one at a time and it's as you're walking up to them), and sometimes it makes tracking impossible because whole sets of tracks will disappear at once.

Unfortunately, there's not much to be done about the bug unless the devs can find a fix for it. It's been around for a lot of years and it seems like it's gotten worse again in the last several months. If it's just you getting distracted, well, the live critter will still be there after you find your injured one. Try not to get distracted!
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

One way to avoid it is to take safe shots with the proper weapon. Your goal is the kill the animal on the spot so no tracking is needed. It's always my goal and I do very little tracking.

Get as close as you can to the animal. Use a powerful gun. If the shot doesn't look right don't pull the trigger. Nothing wrong with passing up a shot. I did it a lot in real hunting and do the same in game. Ethical safe shots are signs of a good hunter. You should never ever need to take a 2nd shot.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

OldMtnMan wrote:One way to avoid it is to take safe shots with the proper weapon. Your goal is the kill the animal on the spot so no tracking is needed. It's always my goal and I do very little tracking.

Get as close as you can to the animal. Use a powerful gun. If the shot doesn't look right don't pull the trigger. Nothing wrong with passing up a shot. I did it a lot in real hunting and do the same in game. Ethical safe shots are signs of a good hunter. You should never ever need to take a 2nd shot.
For what it's worth, the tracks disappearing bug applies to both injured and non-injured animals. You can find a track for a heavyweight animal and decide to track it, and the tracks can disappear right in front of you.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

That's why I don't track. It's too frustrating. I don't try to level up animals or guns. I figure if I can get kills as a level one. Why do I need to make it easier?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “General Chat”