weapon of choice

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Re: weapon of choice

Post by OldMtnMan »

I'm leading a blacktail comp with 3 kills. 2 knockdowns and one went 10 yds. I guess i've been lucky. Two at 161 and one at 144. Not trophy's for sure but not youngsters.

I don't mind tracking as long as the tracks don't stop.

If the .243 gets too annoying i'll get something bigger. .270 or 30-06.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Dan........You're right about the .243. I'm still leading the comp but the .243 came close to letting me down. I discovered one thing. On a frontal shot if we hit right in the center of the chest we can get a body shot. Anybody who knows anatomy knows that's not possible. I'm still at 100% Hit-Kill and want to keep it there. One of my favorite calibers is the 30-06. It was my dad's too. He grew fond of it in WW2 and continued the fondness in hunting. So, we don't have a proper American bolt action 30-06 rifles. I bought the Stetson 30-06. It will be my deer and maybe my elk rifle too. Not overkill for deer and not too light for elk. Not too loud and not too much recoil. It should be a good rifle to hunt with.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Front on centre chest shots are dicey with any weapon in this game. Unless you go low enough to get the heart a dead center shot will go between the lungs and miss all important organs. Using a bigger calibre will get yo into a liver or intestines. If you have to take a frontal shot aim off center and slide under the shoulder blade for a single lung or better yet get an angle so the shot placed just in front of the shoulder can transverse the chest and get the front of one lung and the back of the other. Failing all that go for a center neck shot and hope for a neck bone. That'll work most times.
The 30.06 lever always had a high damage rating and even bad shots never survived for long. Not sure about the bolt action. Never bothered to get one.

In real life I had a Remington pump action in 30.06. Gamemaster or Woodsmaster, cant remember which, ... using ex U.S. military ball . Filed the tips off and ran a drill 1/4 inch down into the lead turning them into hollow points. Recovered some of the most exquisite mushrooms you could ever wish to see. That was a beast. Nothing ran away from that.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I'll experiment with the .243 before giving up on it. I never took frontal shots in real hunting. Always double lung. In game I've been using big guns and center chest always killed because of the penetration they got. I would think even a .243 that shot between the lungs would hit the liver. It was only a 40m shot. Oh well.

I know guys who use a .243 for elk in real hunting. Always a double lung but it does show the penetration it has.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I give up. You can't convince me that some weapons don't have bugs. I not only know the shot hit lungs when I made it but after when looking at the carcass I can see the bullet hole is over lungs. Yet, the game called it a body hit.

Plus, I need to buy a new mouse. I shot another tree when just the weight of my finger pushed left click and fired. My fault for using the scope to look when I should be using binos. I know to never do it in real life and for the life me why I do it in game. The game is giving me sloppy habits. So, my present gun has a miss registered to it and I don't like the body shot problem. Anybody want 200 rounds of ammo? I won't use it again.

btw....What's a good mouse with a solid, positive left click?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

LOL..I looked in the bottom drawer of my desk and found a new Basilisk mouse that I was saving for when my present mouse wore out. I forgot about it and my present mouse sure wore out. This new mouse is way better than the old one. I should have used it when I bought it.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

Nice, at least you found it before you went and bought an new one...
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

DanthemanBoone wrote:30 r would be my first choice for a medium game long range rifle. Reasonably flat shooting and has good scope options. I have been using the 7mm mag bullpup this week since the new season started but found it doesn't have the knock down power of the 30 r. The 7mm mag used to be my first choice but I haven't used it for a couple of years (since the 30 was introduced) , and decided it was time to get rid of all the ammo I had for it. Still a few rounds left but once they are gone I'll be retiring it for good.
Agree with the 30R. Flat out of the barrel and has very good knockdown power. And although it has been my most recent rifle purchase, I haven't had to track any targets yet.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

30R is no challenge.

Gun choice is .243.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Alphamale1956