weapon of choice

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
BCKidd

Re: weapon of choice

Post by BCKidd »

DanthemanBoone wrote:
BCKidd wrote:
jttoo wrote:The 7mm-08 Scout Bolt Action Rifle with the bipod is a fantastic gun for long shots. I have come to really enjoy using this rifle, and it can be used on everything from fox/coyote to Elk. Other then that I'd suggest the .300.

Sometimes the deployment of the bipod can be tricky or not work right, but most of the time you can find a spot to deploy it
Yep, totally agree. I levelled that rifle off quick, it is an awesome gun, once you get over the ups and downs of the bipod. The thing is, it is steady right out of the box when crouching, so the bipod really doesn't hinder us at all. It is light enough that you can pack it along with a bunch of gear too. Indeed a great addition to our armory. ;)

BCKidd
Problem is the scout runs out of grunt at the top end, whereas the the 30r just keeps on going. The bipod is a pain in the "A" in the hills and long grass or bushes, its nowhere near as steady as the 30r off the shoulder or crouch at low skills. I used it extensively when I first got it (it really only works good from a stand or a tower) I gave it away as just another pretty toy. Glad I won it and didn't have to pay for the bloody thing.
One of the things I learned early on with it, is that the HV Ammo at long distance is crap, except for the small game. In the ammo description it reads: "That the High Velocity variant, has a flatter trajectory over longer distances than the HP variant." I don't believe that for a minute, it also claims that the HP variant is best at short- mid range. I use it for the long range and am surprised at how well the HP ammo can knock down critters at ranges over 250m- 400+m, which is good enough for me. The bipod can be a pain on inclines etc, but, like all things we adapt. ;)

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

If the devs got the ballistics right. The 7mm-08 is a poor choice for long shots. It's not a strong cartridge in real hunting. It's a low recoil comfortable round to shoot. Women and kids love it.

Don't confuse the 7mm-08 with the 7mm mag. Two different cartridges base on different brass. 7mm is a good choice for long shots. The 7mm-08 isn't.

Chose the 30R. In real life it's stronger than the 30-06 but not quite as strong as the .300 mag. In game the 30 R seems at least equal to the .300 mag and sometimes seems stronger. I have never failed to get a knock down on elk with it. Even at 300m. As an example I shot a 380 bull elk across a lake (level shot) at 304m. I aimed dead center in the lungs and got a double lung knock down shot right where I aimed.

I'm thinking the 30R might be too easy to pick as a one gun hunter. Maybe pick it but only use the open sights to eliminate the longer shots. Although 150m shots could be taken with open sights. I consider that a long shot compared to my max distance of 50m sneak in close shots. I wish the devs had picked a better Hawken than the Thompson Center. I need to make a decision. Right now I have no game account and need to start a new one. I need to chose a name and gun. I also need to buy more ems. When CS deletes an account. All content and money is gone. This is the 6th time i've done it. Which is why i've spent over $1200 dollars on Classic. I shouldn't have retired from real hunting. It was cheaper. :(
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

OldMtnMan wrote:If the devs got the ballistics right. The 7mm-08 is a poor choice for long shots. It's not a strong cartridge in real hunting. It's a low recoil comfortable round to shoot. Women and kids love it.

Don't confuse the 7mm-08 with the 7mm mag. Two different cartridges base on different brass. 7mm is a good choice for long shots. The 7mm-08 isn't.

Chose the 30R. In real life it's stronger than the 30-06 but not quite as strong as the .300 mag. In game the 30 R seems at least equal to the .300 mag and sometimes seems stronger. I have never failed to get a knock down on elk with it. Even at 300m. As an example I shot a 380 bull elk across a lake (level shot) at 304m. I aimed dead center in the lungs and got a double lung knock down shot right where I aimed.

I'm thinking the 30R might be too easy to pick as a one gun hunter. Maybe pick it but only use the open sights to eliminate the longer shots. Although 150m shots could be taken with open sights. I consider that a long shot compared to my max distance of 50m sneak in close shots. I wish the devs had picked a better Hawken than the Thompson Center. I need to make a decision. Right now I have no game account and need to start a new one. I need to chose a name and gun. I also need to buy more ems. When CS deletes an account. All content and money is gone. This is the 6th time i've done it. Which is why i've spent over $1200 dollars on Classic. I shouldn't have retired from real hunting. It was cheaper. :(
I don't disagree- regarding the .7mm Mag and the .7mm-08, but I wouldn't simply pass it off as a kids gun. A lot of kids I know also like the .7mm Mag. Either way, I say the .7mm-08 is still a good rifle for novice and old-timers too. The only complaint in game about it, is the bipod. Then again there are many complaints about all the weapons in game- if one wanted to care. In real life did you make 100% hit and kill ratio's? 'Cause like you mentioned this is the sixth time that you have deleted an account, I guess that would get costly ;) . I know all to well how expensive this game can be. :D

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Actually, I did and the reason I want to repeat it in game. In real hunting I was extremely careful about what shots I took. I never missed what I shot at and never lost an animal I shot. Some took some track and some didn't. Not so hard to do in real hunting since I was only taking 1-3 animals a year. Colorado is a tough state to get tags in. Lot's of hunters to compete with in the draw. Staying at 100% in game is much harder. I'm killing way more animals and the game has some bugs that make it even harder. I can't stop trying though. It's a personal goal and I doubt anybody looks at my lifetime stats.

I chose the 45/70 Buffalo Rifle this time as my only gun. I thought i'd add the bison and moose to my elk hunting. I don't like hunting for deer that much, so I won't miss it due to the 45/70 not legal for deer.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

I think it only fair that i should reassess My opinion of the 7mm 08 scout rifle. Having used it all the last week to get rid of the ammo before retiring it, I have found when using the high power rounds it has considerably more punch than I previously recall. Although my opinion of its problems in prone remains unchanged I have to admit it performs as well as the 30R on those big Sambhur stags. I have been using it out of towers where it is rock steady off the shoulder, and have to confess I was very impressed with its power.
Have about 25 rounds left to go.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

DanthemanBoone wrote:I think it only fair that i should reassess My opinion of the 7mm 08 scout rifle. Having used it all the last week to get rid of the ammo before retiring it, I have found when using the high power rounds it has considerably more punch than I previously recall. Although my opinion of its problems in prone remains unchanged I have to admit it performs as well as the 30R on those big Sambhur stags. I have been using it out of towers where it is rock steady off the shoulder, and have to confess I was very impressed with its power.
Have about 25 rounds left to go.
Yes, the HP rounds are much better and perform well at long range. I think a lot of people read the text on the ammo types in store and didn't bother using the HP rounds for long shots. I only use the HV rounds for smaller game- cats and dogs basically. High Power ammo for everything else that it is ethical to kill. ;)

BCKidd.

Keep it real!
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

OldMtnMan wrote: I chose the 45/70 Buffalo Rifle this time as my only gun. I thought i'd add the bison and moose to my elk hunting. I don't like hunting for deer that much, so I won't miss it due to the 45/70 not legal for deer.
@Pete.
Dont forget you also have the 243 and the single shot shotgun at your disposal. So you dont have to stay solely with the big animals.
You really should try hunting Piccabeen Bay. With the 45.70 you can shoot Water buffalo, Banteng, Sambhur and Feral hogs, and since you already have the 243 you can hunt Rusa. Or pack the single shot shotgun and that takes care of the geese, Rusa and Sambhur . You wont need to buy any more weapons.

There are heaps of open meadows up on the eastern side of the river with 200m plus shooting lanes, and lots of crossing points all along the river from the north to the swamps that the animals use. Ideal for setting up ambush spots with some shots possible out to render across the river.

If you have to traverse the heavily wooded areas,.. take the scope off the 45.70 and you have the best weapon in the whole arsenal for charging buffalo. I love hunting there. It can be the most exciting place to hunt in the whole game.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Dan..........I'm actually two games past the 45/70 Buffalo game. I just started a new one this morning and haven't even decided what i'm going to do yet. I just know I wasn't happy with my last game. I need to put more thought into deciding what i'm going to do this time. This is not easy. Pick just one gun to use for all your hunting and stick with it. It's not easy. I did it with real hunting but that's just one hunt a year. Not the same as the thousands of kills in game. As for having the .243 and shotgun available. True, but that's not sticking to just one gun. My goal is when looking at my Lifetime Stats it only shows one gun. Killing just one animal with a gun means it will show in the Stats page for the life of the game. No way to get rid of it.

I've considered using the free .243 as my one gun. Along with the free scope. The problem is I couldn't hunt for elk and i'm not sure I could do that. Actually, I know I couldn't do that. It was my whole life. I'm not giving up on it now. I could just hunt for deer for the challenge.

My second thought is to go back to what I did in real life and what I did in my first game in Classic. I was CaplockHunter in the first game and made it into the Elite class for elk. I wasn't close to being 100% for Hit-Kill percentages though. I had trouble tracking with the caplock. Tracks kept disappearing. Something changed since then. Either the tracking got better or the caplock has more power now. It's not hard to get a knock down with the caplock now. I'm not fond of the game caplock. It's a lousy replica of the Hawken but it's what we have, so it is what it is.

What do you think Dan? Take my old name of CaplockHunter, use just the Hawken, wear the trapper outfit, use the old binos, use the trapper tents and live in the Rustic lodge. See if I can get into the Elite class again but stay at 100% Hits-Kills. No tree stands or Huntermate.

So, a noob using just the free stuff, or an old mountain man using the Hawken? Danial Boone should know. :D
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Its pretty obvious what your gonna do. Buy another gun, Start another game, pick another name, hunt until you miss a shot or can't find an animal , then spit the dummy and throw all your toys out the cot and start all over again.
But if your anything like me, I dont give a fart about what other people think. Age has its priviledge and we have the right to do whatever we please. Who cares how many marbles are left in the bag.
So just do it.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I got it Dan but a little history first.

As I got older and into my 70's I struggled with my Hawken. It had a 34" barrel and weighed 11lbs. It was a true replica of the original Hawken but was never made for old men. Mountain men were a tough group. I was too when young. Not so much in old age. The Hawken was tough to hold steady when shouldered. I only shot standing up off hand and was stubborn about shooting any other way. The 11lbs was tough up and down the steep mountains where I hunted and lived. Not much air at 12,000ft. My good friend told me to get a different gun but I was stubborn. Then one day I received a big package. When I saw the box I said it looks like a gun. I had to think had I ordered a that went on back order and forgot it. I was sure I hadn't. I was baffled. I opened it and it was a Thompson Center Triumph. That's exactly the inline gun in the game. Green stock and all. I thought Bud's Guns sent it to me by mistake. Muzzleloaders don't require a background check and can be sent in the mail directly to customers.

I started to loo at the gun having no interest in inline muzzleloader before. It was light. Less than 7lbs. I shouldered it and smiled. Man, that felt good on my bum back. I thought...this would be nice to hunt with while thinking of my heavy Hawken. Not thinking the gun was mine I thought....maybe I should be so stubborn and buy one of these. It's a perfect old mans gun. I could keep hunting for elk and deer. I researched it and it was around $500. Another thing that was bothering me on the Hawken as I got old was the recoil too. Heavy powder charges to get the .58 cal round ball moving along with a steel buttplate was hard on my old shoulder. I could see the design of the stock on the inline, and the rubber inserts in the butt stock would be easy recoiling. Plus, it had a Sims recoil pad. The best pad made. Put is all together with the loads being lighter and the Triumph would be a sweetheart to hunt. Light weight to carry and shoulder. Soft recoiling. Modern powder, shotgun sealed primers, and most of all modern bullets like Barnes all copper and Nosler Partitions. This gun would be a dream to hunt with for an old man. Where did it come from?

Later that day my friend showed up and he said.......How do you like the Triumph? I was shocked! I asked.....Did you send me that? He just smiled. I tried to pay him for it but he wasn't having none of that. He said......I wanted to see you keep hunting and knew you were too stubborn to try an inline. He was right of course. I hunted with it for 8 more years and loved it. It was a feather to carry and easy to shoulder and take the recoil. That gun gave me 8 more years of elk hunting. My friend gave me 8 more years of elk hunting.

So, in honor of my friend for his caring and generosity. I'll hunt the inline muzzleloader as my only gun from now on. Even if I can't keep a 100% Hit-Kill record i'll keep using it. Luckily, by using both ammos of sabot 45's and conicals I can hunt animals from coyote to water buffalo. That should keep me busy. I just need to make sure i'm using the right ammo for the animal I shoot. Since it's a modern gun i'll also use modern clothes and gear to hunt. I'll just be a modern old mountain man. Which is what I really am anyway.

Ok, this decision makes sense and I can stick with it. No more talking about what gun i'll use or starting new games. I promise.

Off to start my new game.

Edit....We were writing at the same time and I didn't read yours until posting this one. Just to be clear. I don't do any of this for others to see. It's a personal thing with me. I have a much better reason to stay with it this time.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “General Chat”