weapon of choice

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Knoeyedea

weapon of choice

Post by Knoeyedea »

For long range shooting, which rifle do you prefer and why? I'm leaning towards the 9.3 or the 7mm. Opinions?
jttoo
Hunter

Re: weapon of choice

Post by jttoo »

The 7mm-08 Scout Bolt Action Rifle with the bipod is a fantastic gun for long shots. I have come to really enjoy using this rifle, and it can be used on everything from fox/coyote to Elk. Other then that I'd suggest the .300.

Sometimes the deployment of the bipod can be tricky or not work right, but most of the time you can find a spot to deploy it
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

30 r would be my first choice for a medium game long range rifle. Reasonably flat shooting and has good scope options. I have been using the 7mm mag bullpup this week since the new season started but found it doesn't have the knock down power of the 30 r. The 7mm mag used to be my first choice but I haven't used it for a couple of years (since the 30 was introduced) , and decided it was time to get rid of all the ammo I had for it. Still a few rounds left but once they are gone I'll be retiring it for good.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

30R for animals deer to moose. .340 for bigger animals. .300 mag is another consideration but I like the 30R better.

Don't even consider the 9.3. Way too much drop at long range. I never shoot over 175m when using the 9.3.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

.17 or .300
Knoeyedea

Post by Knoeyedea »

DanthemanBoone wrote:30 r would be my first choice for a medium game long range rifle. Reasonably flat shooting and has good scope options. I have been using the 7mm mag bullpup this week since the new season started but found it doesn't have the knock down power of the 30 r. The 7mm mag used to be my first choice but I haven't used it for a couple of years (since the 30 was introduced) , and decided it was time to get rid of all the ammo I had for it. Still a few rounds left but once they are gone I'll be retiring it for good.
100% correct. the 30R is a killer
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I'm about to delete my account again and start over. I want to use just one gun for all my hunting. I decided the 30R will be my pick.

Not only is the cartridge so good but the O&U gun itself is a sweetheart.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

jttoo wrote:The 7mm-08 Scout Bolt Action Rifle with the bipod is a fantastic gun for long shots. I have come to really enjoy using this rifle, and it can be used on everything from fox/coyote to Elk. Other then that I'd suggest the .300.

Sometimes the deployment of the bipod can be tricky or not work right, but most of the time you can find a spot to deploy it
Yep, totally agree. I levelled that rifle off quick, it is an awesome gun, once you get over the ups and downs of the bipod. The thing is, it is steady right out of the box when crouching, so the bipod really doesn't hinder us at all. It is light enough that you can pack it along with a bunch of gear too. Indeed a great addition to our armory. ;)

BCKidd

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

BCKidd wrote:
jttoo wrote:The 7mm-08 Scout Bolt Action Rifle with the bipod is a fantastic gun for long shots. I have come to really enjoy using this rifle, and it can be used on everything from fox/coyote to Elk. Other then that I'd suggest the .300.

Yep, totally agree. I levelled that rifle off quick, it is an awesome gun, once you get over the ups and downs of the bipod. The thing is, it is steady right out of the box when crouching, so the bipod really doesn't hinder us at all. It is light enough that you can pack it along with a bunch of gear too. Indeed a great addition to our armory. ;)

BCKidd
Problem is the scout runs out of grunt at the top end, whereas the the 30r just keeps on going. The bipod is a pain in the "A" in the hills and long grass or bushes, its nowhere near as steady as the 30r off the shoulder or crouch at low skills. I used it extensively when I first got it (it really only works good from a stand or a tower) I gave it away as just another pretty toy. Glad I won it and didn't have to pay for the bloody thing.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

I'm actually in the throws of emptying out all the ammo from the weapons I don't use any more. I will be keep using the following weapons as they are the most reliable and useful.
.22 grasshopper.
223. bolt action
Semi auto 12 gauge
243 bolt action
30 r double rifle.
45.70 Lever action
10 point crossbow

There's nothing I cant kill with that selection.

The rest can go into the gun cases in the lodge.

Return to “General Chat”