Grouse Decoys

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Re: Grouse Decoys

Post by JimboCrow »

Alphamale1956 wrote:Oh, okay. So you use the locator as a probe and, with a response, go to the box caller to coax movement. I don't know why, but I thought I read that the locator attracted females. I guess because they supposedly attract lower-scoring grouse (store description) which sorta implies females. Whereas the box caller is a reproduction of the male call but will attract either gender. Now, do they mean "equal" attraction? If it is equal, then why even use a locator? Also, does anyone get the feeling that the grouse callers seem to attract red deer as well?
The locator generates reply calls faster than the box caller. It helps find grouse more quickly. It is quite effective actually.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

JimboCrow wrote:
Alphamale1956 wrote:Oh, okay. So you use the locator as a probe and, with a response, go to the box caller to coax movement. I don't know why, but I thought I read that the locator attracted females. I guess because they supposedly attract lower-scoring grouse (store description) which sorta implies females. Whereas the box caller is a reproduction of the male call but will attract either gender. Now, do they mean "equal" attraction? If it is equal, then why even use a locator? Also, does anyone get the feeling that the grouse callers seem to attract red deer as well?
The locator generates reply calls faster than the box caller. It helps find grouse more quickly. It is quite effective actually.
Hey, thanks JC. Wow, you got insider info on that because I can't find that attribute anywhere in the description? It would be more of a benefit if the Locator had a longer range than the box. Now, according to the description, the locator would seem to be more useful while you are on-foot rather than sitting in a platform. They even imply this by asking if you'd rather stalk than sit. So again, if they had a longer range sorta like the geese/duck callers, then I'd see more of a use for it.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Alphamale1956 wrote:
JimboCrow wrote:
Hey, thanks JC. Wow, you got insider info on that because I can't find that attribute anywhere in the description? It would be more of a benefit if the Locator had a longer range than the box. Now, according to the description, the locator would seem to be more useful while you are on-foot rather than sitting in a platform. They even imply this by asking if you'd rather stalk than sit. So again, if they had a longer range sorta like the geese/duck callers, then I'd see more of a use for it.
Hi AM56!! I have no insider info of course, this is just my experience. The wood grouse locator works very similar to the pheasant locator and turkey locator callers, which also elicit quick responses from males within hearing distance. It's well worth the price as far as I'm concerned, because even though it doesn't work all the way to render it will still trigger an answer call to about 150m. Good hunting to you AM!! :)
FOCRJ
Spotter

Post by FOCRJ »

Alphamale1956 wrote:
FOCRJ wrote:excellent working material, hunting easily without being scared, the lure works perfectly!!

THBR
You are referring to the box lure, correct? Let me ask, when would you use the Locator caller if you have that also?
If we're still talking about wood grouse, I use the locator while walking as soon as I get a response I place the tripod with 1 male decoy at 20 meters so they go on the decoy before coming on the tripod
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

FOCRJ wrote:
Alphamale1956 wrote:
FOCRJ wrote:excellent working material, hunting easily without being scared, the lure works perfectly!!

THBR
You are referring to the box lure, correct? Let me ask, when would you use the Locator caller if you have that also?
If we're still talking about wood grouse, I use the locator while walking as soon as I get a response I place the tripod with 1 male decoy at 20 meters so they go on the decoy before coming on the tripod
Nice! And very clever... ;)
splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

Alphamale1956 wrote:Nice! And very clever... ;)
Hang out here in the forum, and you may learn ALL the neat tricks... ;)
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

splainin2do wrote:
Alphamale1956 wrote:Nice! And very clever... ;)
Hang out here in the forum, and you may learn ALL the neat tricks... ;)
Very true.

Return to “General Chat”