Do albino dall sheep actually exist?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Nontypical2247

Do albino dall sheep actually exist?

Post by Nontypical2247 »

There doesn't seem to be any recorded kills online ever in the history of this game. The wiki is the only proof, but I'm almost starting to wonder if they're bugged. If someone has an in-game pic of them, I'd love to see it (excluding the one on the wiki). I've asked and seen many veterans of this game say they've also never heard of one being shot.
xOEDragonx

Re: Do albino dall sheep actually exist?

Post by xOEDragonx »

Honestly, it's one of those things that's probably really rare (like albino bighorns are pretty rare when compared to say, albino white-tailed deer) combined with the fact that people who shoot them probably don't even realize they've shot a rare unless they happen to glance at their hunt history and notice the albino tag. They're probably killed without people even noticing since, you know, dall sheep are always solid white.

That said, they are the only albino I can think of that I haven't seen someone claimed to have shot. I've seen an albino snowshoe hare, snow goose, and feral goat which are all sort of difficult to identify in the field, but never a dall sheep yet.
skraldrog

Post by skraldrog »

We should get a wellness check on them! ;)

Dalls are one of the "free" mission animals, so you'd expect a lot of people to be hunting them. Especially since it's so easy-- you can pin them up against the mountains and snipe entire herds while they're climbing up! But the thread here for posting rares doesn't have a single albino dall(just a misplaced high scoring common), searching the Discord trophy gallery channel also gives you nothing, and nothing in the Super Rares gallery on the wiki, either. There're pics of the already mentioned snow geese, snowshoe hares, and bighorns, but the only dall I could find was taxidermied in someone's lodge. Their noses are an obvious pinkish color, so it's hard for me to believe we just aren't recognizing them.

Statistics for how many get harvested each season could be fun to see
Nontypical2247

Post by Nontypical2247 »

skraldrog wrote:but the only dall I could find was taxidermied in someone's lodge.
I'm probably misunderstanding but did you find an albino dall in someones lodge??
skraldrog

Post by skraldrog »

On second look, it was actually an albino bighorn :/

So, yeah, there's no proof they exist! Which still strikes me as weird. In the 8 or so years Whiterime's been live, if no one has shown off or claimed to have gotten an albino dall, it raises some red flags they're spawn rate might be off. I still think it's hard to believe that in all that time not a single person realized they shot one.
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Dall sheep were released on April 20, 2017, so they've been around for about 6 years. I'm still pretty convinced people have shot them and just not known. I have an albino feral goat and there is literally nothing to differentiate it from a normal white goat. It does not have pink eyes, hooves or a pink nose. It literally just looks like a normal white goat. The pictures on the wiki suggests that albino dall sheep are somewhat similar to the albino feral goats. There isn't much on the headshot picture at all to make them obviously different from the normals. No -obvious- pink nose or eyes (I do see them, but barely). That'd be pretty easy to miss if you're just casually killing sheep.

Also keep in mind that only a minority of players who play the game participate in any social media around it (Discord, Facebook, forum, etc), so even if one was shot and noticed there's no guarantee it's ever going to be posted anywhere.
LoganMalone
Scout

Post by LoganMalone »

Nontypical2247 wrote:There doesn't seem to be any recorded kills online ever in the history of this game. The wiki is the only proof, but I'm almost starting to wonder if they're bugged. If someone has an in-game pic of them, I'd love to see it (excluding the one on the wiki). I've asked and seen many veterans of this game say they've also never heard of one being shot.
I harvested one, but I didn't think much about it because it's hardly even noticeable. The albino has slightly noticeable pink skin pigmentation around the eyes, nostrils, and mouth where as the common type has darker (blackish) pigmentation in the same areas. It's barely noticeable until you look very closely...and I mean you have to get on your stomach and really look up close at it.

https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/Animal_Fur_Variations
We eat therefor we hunt

╱◥◣
│∩ │◥███◣ ╱◥███◣
๑۩๑๑๑๑۩๑๑๑๑۩๑๑๑๑۩๑
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

LoganMalone wrote:I harvested one, but I didn't think much about it because it's hardly even noticeable. The albino has slightly noticeable pink skin pigmentation around the eyes, nostrils, and mouth where as the common type has darker (blackish) pigmentation in the same areas. It's barely noticeable until you look very closely...and I mean you have to get on your stomach and really look up close at it.

https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/Animal_Fur_Variations
You harvested an albino dall? Could you share a link to the scoresheet and some screenshots so this mystery can be over please? It's the only animal there's no real physical evidence of on the forum or social media sites. It'd be awesome to have tangible evidence that there's at least one in a lodge or gallery somewhere.
herringburdensome

Post by herringburdensome »

nice

Return to “General Chat”