Timbergold Trails

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Timbergold Trails

Post by OldMtnMan »

Is it my imagination or does TGT have the same problem as RFF? Less elk than it used to have.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
BCKidd

Re: Timbergold Trails

Post by BCKidd »

Probably because you shot 'em all. On a serious note- I don't know if the populace of Elk has trimmed down on TgTs I certainly hope not. That would totally suck. I'll have to spend sometime on there. ;)

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I have a bunch of spots that were always good for getting elk. They're deserted now. Just like RFF.

If they moved to another area I sure can't find it.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
CAMuleyMan
Tracker

Post by CAMuleyMan »

OldMtnMan wrote:Is it my imagination or does TGT have the same problem as RFF? Less elk than it used to have.
Took me 8 months to nab another 400 inbetween a few seasons.I hunted them for like 2 weeks or so and yeah theyre way down from before.
Yeah, I'm that guy that hunts mule deer :D
LoganMalone
Scout

Post by LoganMalone »

OldMtnMan wrote:I have a bunch of spots that were always good for getting elk. They're deserted now. Just like RFF.
I've found a work around that I've still testing. It currently feels like a placebo effect. but like I said, I'm still testing. What I do is NOT hunt the same reserve in more than 3 times simultaneously and mix up what I'm hunting. It feels like the game engine identifies the reserve and the animal that I'm hunting the most and makes it more difficult by generating weird spawns where I'd go 3 to 4 hunting sessions over 3 hours or more in-game without seeing what I was primarily hunting.
I started mixing up what I've been hunting and when I get back to the reserve that I hunt like RFF, the game literally places the animal (i.e. White tail) in large abundance just outside of the spawning spook radius.

Example:
I hunt RFF for 5 hunts: white tail deer, black bear, most , TGT for 3 hunts, Val-des-Bois for 3 hunts, Whiterime Ridge for 2 very long hunts, Hirschfelden for 3 hunts, Hemmeldal for 3 hunts, then Settler Creeks for 3 hunts...in that exact order by switching up reserve and the specific animal seasons. My observation is that through not repetitively hunting the same reserve and the same animal makes the game give you more opportunities to find and harvest animals a lot easier. ....at least that's my observation at this point in time. I could be right or just pain going crazy in my mind. Try it and let me know if you experience the same exact effect.

Hunt # Reserve Animal
1 Red Feather Falls White Tail
2 Red Feather Falls Black Bear
3 Red Feather Falls Elk
4 Timbergold Trails Grizzy bear
5 Timbergold Trails Puma
6 Timbergold Trails Elk
7 Val-des-Bois Red Deer
8 Val-des-Bois Ibek Goat
9 Val-des-Bois Bear
10 Whiterime Ridge Polar Bear
11 Whiterime Ridge Bison
12 Whiterime Ridge Moose
13 Hirschfelden Red Deer
14 Hirschfelden Samba deer
15 Hirschfelden Red Fox
16 Settler Creeks White Tail
17 Settler Creeks Coyote
18 Settler Creeks Pigs
19 Hemmeldal Reindeer
20 Hemmeldal Lynx
21 Hemmeldal Roe Deer
We eat therefor we hunt

╱◥◣
│∩ │◥███◣ ╱◥███◣
๑۩๑๑๑๑۩๑๑๑๑۩๑๑๑๑۩๑
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I discovered the same thing but I only hunt 3 maps, so it doesn't work as good as what you're doing.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
1Al
Hunter

Post by 1Al »

It''s not your imagination, TT didn't just lose RME, there was dramatic decrease of all animal species population, in all ER but especially in TT, I think there's approximately a 50/60% less animals than 6 years ago, when I start to play tHC. It's much worse than RFF.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

It doesn't seem like a hard fix. Just change some numbers on the spawns.

Why are they doing this?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Dungeon_Cheese

Post by Dungeon_Cheese »

Aight incoming wall of text:

To put it plainly: no, its a placebo effect as someone stated previously.

The way spawns in game work (generally speaking) is there is a total pool of animals generated at startup. These animals get divided up into the spawn zones; if you start early, it's closer to the "spawn location" than if you start later in a hunt, IE: the game will calculate their trajectory to compensate for time.

You see this when you hunt "the" golden sambar stand in PBB. When you start at 11am the game will path the animals towards their sleeping zone (near stand), which is why you see it consistently work the way it does. IF you start earlier than 10am, you will notice the animals don't always show up due to them getting stuck on the hillsides from poor pathing AI (the whole map in general is a mess but thats a different conversation). This is the clearest example of the pathing logic at work, but generally most maps with "river funnels" will produce very set pathing patterns you can figure out if you pay attention.

Speaking more broadly, because pops are hard set at spawn in, there is mathematically only a set number spawn configurations you can see. This is due to how animals get split up and minimum requirements for herd counts (IE: you will always have minimum X wolves and X elk that constitute a "herd" per game logic), due to this being a rather static configuration, when you will end up noticing is very general "patterns" that will play out. Animals on maps without predators (or things that will otherwise alter this pathing logic) will always appear at the same spots at the same times depending on the original spawn in. TGT is a very good example of this if you start your game from either lodge in the AM, if you start at for example the western lodge following the road south you will always hear A) a grizzly call or B) elk call once you get one in render. This can change based on quests active.

You will also notice patterns on maps such as RFF due to terrain and animal need zones: animals will always move to "graze" in certain areas due to how limited "grass" terrain is vs "forest" terrain. So if you have an idea of your spawn time vs animal "needs" you can hunt rather efficiently if you can hit your timers correctly. All maps have this same pathing logic, this isn't something unique to one map or another. Maps that don't have water or natural "funnels" for pathing are slightly harder to map out, but you can still find the patterns (loggers is an example of this).

Your best bet to corroborate and figure out timings or optimal paths is by checking high hunter score hunts, and you will 100% see patterns form over longer hunts. It's how I personally figure out where I need to be and when. And if you want to quibble over the whole "need zone" thing, COTW didn't reinvent the wheel. It's very plainly laid out game Classic's mechanics and the game doesn't exist in a vacuum, however it's not featured in the same way as it is in COTW. I have zero interest in discussing it.

If you're not seeing animals its because they're asleep and won't respond to calls (longer games; you will however pick up their calls if it is the only thing in render), or you're in the wrong area because the animals have moved along (TGT specifically has deadspots because of the aforementioned zones + predator movement).
1Al
Hunter

Post by 1Al »

OldMtnMan wrote:It doesn't seem like a hard fix. Just change some numbers on the spawns.

Why are they doing this?
I don't know why, my estimate is rounded down. I reported the bad situation several times here in the forum, the problem showed up especially after the addition of the last reserve PB.

Return to “General Chat”