just a bit of advice please

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Knoeyedea

just a bit of advice please

Post by Knoeyedea »

New to the forum and relatively new to the game. I have purchased a .308 rifle and a reverse draw crossbow plus the moose call, the deer grunt, the predator call, the elk call, and the pig grunt. I can't decide what I need to purchase next. I want a tree stand, a compound bow, a range finder and a large capacity bag. Any suggestions on the order of purchase in your opinion? I know a tree stand is pretty much a necessity when using a compound bow and so is the range finder. The larger bag would simplify hunting the different reserves and being able to carry all possible game calls, plus scopes and more ammo. Anyway, any opinions?
Thanks
splainin2do
Outfitter

Re: just a bit of advice please

Post by splainin2do »

My opinion is the extra capacity. I found that to be a huge help for many things. Once you can carry more, you can carry a tent, and use it as a (sometimes animal-spooking, but many times worth it) portable lodge. The range finder is good, and also get the spotting scope. Using that will help you with finding animals for missions (including the many Daily Missions when you need to spot something), and as your spotting skill increases, you can better tell a high scoring animal from a lower one.
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

I also would recommend the Extra capacity so you can carry more stuff.

The next thing, would be to go buy a tent or two so that you can spawn closer to the hunting towers on Whitehart and Loggers point. Use the hunting towers until you can generate enough GMs to start buying tree stands. The towers 6 and 12 in northern Whitehart are great places for Elk, turkey, coyote, and blacktail. Tower 14 in southern Whitehart is a good place for coyote,whitetail, and elk.

Another good tower is the middle tower, north of the Field lodge in Loggers point. Set up a tent on top of the hill, 300m away from the tower, spawn in and walk down the hill in the gully alongside the road. Great place for Whitetail, bobcat, coyote and feral hogs.

If you are using EM's to buy stuff there is a tent on sale now.
jack30286
Tracker

Post by jack30286 »

I would recommend compound bow( striker is the quietest bow now) and a tree stand ( single man). These two items will allow you to get extra kills without spooking everything around you and enable you to farm animals. Extra capacity and a crossbow pistol would be my next choices followed by a tent.
Spoiler:
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Extra capacity. Like others have said, once you can carry more, you have more freedom on every map. Investing in a single tent and carrying it with you at all times can also allow you access to all of your equipment on the go, though you may want to wait until you have a bit more equipment to start doing that.

Absolutely purchase a tree stand to carry with you at all times (another reason to get increased carrying capacity first). It can be utilized on most maps and when you combine it with appropriate callers for the map and a silent weapon (i.e. your crossbow) you can learn to mow down animals as they slowly come in. As long as you can drop animals in their tracks with insta-kills and they're not standing too close to another animal when you do it, you can call in and kill every attractable animal in render range with those couple items.

I'd also focus on continuing to collect the callers for all of the big game species you don't have yet. Having the callers for most of the animals on the map is a game changer.

Compound bows are fun, but they are functionally the same as the crossbow you already bought in that you can already rack up the kills quickly and quietly. I definitely recommend them, but I wouldn't tell you to rush to get one now that you have the crossbow.

Don't even waste your money on a regular rangefinder or the small spotting scope. I own the rangefinding binoculars and the 30x spotting scope and they go on every hunt with me ever. The rangefinding binoculars offer you a good zoom to see but still a wide field of vision for glassing compared to a spotting scope and the rangefinding feature is great for early bowhunting and practically a requirement for missions and competitions that require you to shoot animals at certain distances. The 30x shooting scope gives you the ability to zoom in close on any animal anywhere to spot it, and spotting animals increases your spotting skill over time making it easier to determine the score/weight of any animal before persuing it. I wouldn't leave the lodge without either of these tools nowadays. The 16x shooting scope just isn't big enough to cut it, and the regular binoculars and rangefinder are just wasteful when you can have both features in one gadget.

Once you have a tree stand, a silent weapon, and most of the callers, the game takes on a while new level of fun. From there, invest in items as you see fit to increase YOUR fun factor. Maybe a big caliber weapon like the .340 weatherby for dropping big game animals in their tracks or a small caliber weapon like the .17 hmr for killing birds, bunnies, foxes and the like at a long distance. Get a couple tents so that you can spawn in the areas that would otherwise take a long time to walk to, like the mountains of TGT for bighorn and puma or the mountains of VDB for ibex. Maybe get a waterfowl setup, one of the most expensive investments in the game but also one of the most enjoyable and unique types of hunting for many, plus, magpie geese especially pay well in gm$.

Focus on missions to help you earn gm$ at a faster rate. Early on you'll be limited in doing missions because you won't have the required weapons or equipment to continue with a mission pack. Either find someone in a multiplayer game to help you (they can shoot an animal that meets the mission requirements and you harvest it, that will complete the mission objective) or just move along to another mission pack. The early missions in each pack don't pay out much, but the last few in each pack pay a few thousand gm$ each.
Dr_ViEr
Hunter

Post by Dr_ViEr »

I do not think, there is a general answer.
It depends on what you want to do. Do you want to hunt all maps/animals or focus on certain?
With regard to capacity upgrades, I disagree with the others. They are really useful at a certain point, but you do not have so much equipment right now. BTW, you will get them for free at certain Hunter Point levels.

When I started, I identified missions to be a source for gm$ and therefore future equipment. Therefore, I focussed on equipment required to finish them - in most cases that will be different weapons (if I am not wrong, a total of 44 is needed to do all missions). Today, there are daily missions as well and therefore, I would probably start to get callers for all animals.
Out of your list, I would recommend the Parker Python bow (with its rangefinder sight) - this will allow you to shoot even without tree stand. Tree stands and tents are a great help but as a beginner, in my opinion not essential. BTW, they are quite often the reward for event missions (although, they sometimes are rather hard, so do not be frustrated, if you are not able to complete in the beginning).
Spoiler:
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

- Snakebite bow (silent, simple to use)
- Treestands (best overall stands)
- Tents to start in your favorite areas
- Capacity increase from 10 to 20
- Crossbow pistol (very quiet, combine it with turkey callers and treestands)

More ideas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kprO0nt5qTE
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Knoeyedea

Post by Knoeyedea »

Thanks for all the info guys. I have approx 15,000 gems so now I have to make a decision or two.

Return to “General Chat”