Please make Roosevelt Elk hunting GREAT again!

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Mrmr123
Outfitter

Please make Roosevelt Elk hunting GREAT again!

Post by Mrmr123 »

I have seen stupid people do challenges, so i thought i might just join stupid's and do a challenge on my own that could get me killed :shock:

I thought i will do a 100 session challenge hunting Roosevelt elk in RFF and see how often i will find a 400+ bull... i thought i will record my findings in an excel sheet to keep track of how many bulls i spot per session, and how do the new groups look like after the cow update... it took me like a month to finish this challenge, i wanted to quit soo many times because it was very energy consuming and there is no good results too keep you looking forward to the next hunt...

Here i present you the link for the sheet:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ah0sIWjMk4BHgSJPt4c ... U?e=A8hItL

So in the end my average bulls spotted was 16 bull per session... and there was no 400+ bull to be found, in general i think Roosevelt elk trophy hunting is very disappointing and depressing... not even the low scoring ones like 360+ were common, something is very wrong with them, Some sessions i managed to spot 20+ bulls but they were all goats, imagine spending 2 real life hours spotting nothing but small antlers, not even low 300+ were to be found.

I suggest increasing the number of bulls in RFF, 26 bulls give or take is not enough considering the big area they can roam on that map. Also please REVERSE the cow update, it made things worse as it increased the time required to spot appropriate amount of bulls in appropriate time... those sessions where bulls are scattered in ones are the worse, i need to see big groups of bulls often... specially the 5 and 6 brother groups. Finally the odds of finding big boys need to be increased a bit, they need to spawn more often, there should be at least 5-7 big antlers per session. not sure why there is some sessions with 25 bulls and just one of them being 300+, i thought the role of 25% of animals being from the high score range, means there should be few of those bulls scoring 280-330 range in each session but that was not the case, not sure if this is a bug that need to be investigated or is it by design...

I don't know if this apply to all other animals, as i am not interested in hunting other animals, thank you for taking the time to read my post and sorry for it being too long.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Re: Please make Roosevelt Elk hunting GREAT again!

Post by OldMtnMan »

Thank you for doing this. It was needed and I hope it does some good. The elk hunting on RFF is terrible right now and it's my favorite map to hunt.

To go along with this i'd like a better choice of competitions. I'd like to always see a high score single bull comp going on for those of us who like to just hunt big bulls. Then you can add all the screwy ruled comps you want to that hunt.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

I agree that roosevelt elk hunting is very frustrating. They are really a great animal to go after, but like you describe, many bulls are goats. No one is asking for a +380 trophy bull in every session, but there should be a large frame in every herd, to give some sort of reward. This would make elk hunting the great thing it used to be. It is those "almost trophies" that make people want to keep going. I imagine also it is not very encouraging for new players to only find bottom scores most of the time.

You have my vote. :D
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

I prefer Roosie hunting in Whitehart & Settlers more than Redfeather now, because I've found the bigger ones there. Redfeather does still have some nice looking ones, but absolutely, not as many.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/spla ... /887833467 - 2022-07-17 - 356.3779
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

That's the problem splainin. I don't like Whitehart and Settlers. Brush it too thick. So, i'm stubborn and stay on RFF. Trophy elk should be on all the maps that have elk. Then we can hunt the map we like and have an equal chance for a trophy.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Mrmr123
Outfitter

Post by Mrmr123 »

Speaking of WH and Settlers, i like the the old Roosevelt elk before the cow update, in the past each map had its own take on elk groupings, which added to variety and taste in hunting, for example RFF was known to have more loners bulls roaming alone but with advantage of them not sharing space with other animals like turkeys to annoy you,,, while WH had 2 at most loner bulls roaming which mean if i was in the mood to see big bull groups of 3 or 4 or 5 or 6, i would go WH as each time i hear a bull calling i know thats 90% chance being a group, but now its all cows and bulls mixing, too many loners scattered within cows groups. it just got harder and more time consuming and there is no difference in hunting them now between the 3 maps except which map annoys you the least.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Mrmr123 wrote:Speaking of WH and Settlers, i like the the old Roosevelt elk before the cow update, in the past each map had its own take on elk groupings, which added to variety and taste in hunting, for example RFF was known to have more loners bulls roaming alone but with advantage of them not sharing space with other animals like turkeys to annoy you,,, while WH had 2 at most loner bulls roaming which mean if i was in the mood to see big bull groups of 3 or 4 or 5 or 6, i would go WH as each time i hear a bull calling i know thats 90% chance being a group, but now its all cows and bulls mixing, too many loners scattered within cows groups. it just got harder and more time consuming and there is no difference in hunting them now between the 3 maps except which map annoys you the least.
This is the problem, right here.^^^ Ever since they mixed the cows and bulls, the big bulls have gone AWOL. They broke it and they haven't even tried to fix it. Same for the RM Elk. How about a fix for your little update EW???
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

HooCairs wrote:I agree that roosevelt elk hunting is very frustrating. They are really a great animal to go after, but like you describe, many bulls are goats. No one is asking for a +380 trophy bull in every session, but there should be a large frame in every herd, to give some sort of reward. This would make elk hunting the great thing it used to be. It is those "almost trophies" that make people want to keep going. I imagine also it is not very encouraging for new players to only find bottom scores most of the time.

You have my vote. :D
I also agree with Mrmr- the RE have not been the same for a long time. It would be nice to see some trophy Elk once in a while- especially on RFF. At one time that was my go-to reserve when hunting Elk. I harvested a massive 425 way back in 2017-2018 or there abouts and have not seen one like that again on RFF. I rarely hunt that reserve anymore due to the degraded Elk hunting. ;)

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
CAMuleyMan
Tracker

Post by CAMuleyMan »

Took 2 weeks for me of grinding for a second 400, then the update happened, after I had just mastered the spawns, now its 85-90% cows and all the bulls are spikes ;/
Yeah, I'm that guy that hunts mule deer :D
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

The problem is most clearly visible on the leader boards.
There are only 33 Roosevelt elk over 400 score as I write this.
And there are 100 Rocky Mountain elk scoring over 400 on the leaderboard, the smallest which is 402.
There would seem to be an imbalance here considering we are almost a 1/3 way into the current season.
One would expect it to be reversed .... considering there are 3 maps with Roosevelt elk and only one with Rocky Mountain elk.
Furthermore the biggest bulls should be running with the cows, while the goats would be chased out by the herd bull.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.

Return to “General Chat”