Daily Mission= Harvest a male Gadwall

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
TexNA55

Daily Mission= Harvest a male Gadwall

Post by TexNA55 »

Day32 and I got hit with this stupid mission: Harvest a male gadwall

So, where the heck do you find the Gadwells?

Spent over 2 hours wondering all around the stupid map.
Even went off and collected my ground blind.
Set it up, and waited an hour game time- no ducks.No a single duck on the ground or in the sky.
Relocated a few times, nothing.
Gave up that as a joke.

Logged out, and brought the long mallard caller.
What a waste of coins, that's turned out to be.

Did a complete lap of the map, quacking non-stop.
Had 4 birds leave a single overhead group, and circle around well out of shotgun range.
Numeorus tries and not a single duck left any other group.
Did manage to stumble onto 2x black ducks who bolted off the water, and nailed one.

So now I am only 2949bucks out of pocket, and still no closer to finishing this stupid daily mission. So much for buying a bow.

Left game and started again.
Figured while it I was wasting time, I should do a Mission on the same map, "Places to Remember", and this is looking like more BS, "...spot a mallard..."

Instead of starting at 0500 hours, started at 1300.
1316- 1 mob, no ducks left group
1324- single duck seen. nope
1336- reached the fort.
1342-1345- black duck spotted swimming. "First audition" started for the spot.
1359- a mallard call shows on the PDA, couldnt get close to him due to having to stand to walk across the water. he was gone. Didnt even see him fly away due to the trees bewteen us, or it was an alien abduction.
1423- extreme range ducks flying from W->NE, no ducks left group
1440- extreme range E->N, no ducks left group
1449- extreme range E->N, no ducks left group
1453- extreme range W->N, no ducks left group

Are these missions possible to complete for beginners, or should I give up doing the dailys until I own 1 of everything?

Tex
fantamichele
Outfitter

Re: Daily Mission= Harvest a male Gadwall

Post by fantamichele »

You can ask for help from someone who is a complete duck setup
TexNA55

Post by TexNA55 »

Hmmm, yeah that's what I thought. So thanks for the confirmation, Fantamichele.
I am not going to run around someones multiplayer game without cammo, waving the single barrel shotgun around, without a clue on where to aim on the ducks, and ******* up their game.
Got me stuffed why they'd do something this silly.
Anyway, thanks anyway mate.

Tex
splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

Daily Missions *are* possible for all, but some are absolutely harder for beginners. The majority are spotting, hearing or tracking animals, and the only times one is to be harvested, that can be accomplished with the free weapons.

That being said, missions involving ducks and geese can still be tricky. Fantamichele is correct- your easiest option is to join a MP game with someone that has a setup. You can ask for help here, but for a Daily, I'd suggest asking in the official Discord* or a Fakebook group for the fastest response.

I would offer to help, but I'm looking at the time you posted and I'm not sure our schedules would line up.

* https://discord.gg/thehunterofficial
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

TexNA55

Post by TexNA55 »

Initially, I got to day 4 or 5 and had to fail that one too, as it was impossible to climb without rope, and shoot a rock ptarmigan.
So I started the daily's again, and while doing some research I found a thread on the steam forum, stumbled across a single post about a free pack that included climbing gear.
I was hoping this 'mission' was the same thing: 'something I didnt know'. Be it location, or a secret to finding them.
It's fine- I'll just ignore the dailys from now on, as it isnt worth the effort for beginners.
Thanks for the help, and offers anyway,
Tex.
splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

TexNA55 wrote:Initially, I got to day 4 or 5 and had to fail that one too, as it was impossible to climb without rope, and shoot a rock ptarmigan.
So I started the daily's again, and while doing some research I found a thread on the steam forum, stumbled across a single post about a free pack that included climbing gear.
I was hoping this 'mission' was the same thing: 'something I didnt know'. Be it location, or a secret to finding them.
It's fine- I'll just ignore the dailys from now on, as it isnt worth the effort for beginners.
Tex.
I'd disagree with that. The Daily Missions are *usually* pretty easy, and a quick way to get some gm$. If a streak is broken, yes, it will go back to the beginning level - but in the meantime, you'll experience and gain skills in animals and maps you otherwise may not have done. The skill/experience alone is worth it for a beginner! :D

* Rock ptarmagins are often also found on the sides of the mountains, so climbing gear wasn't needed. Also, there are videos and other helps to show you how you can access some areas without climbing gear (for tracking/spotting/harvesting ibex)
* Gadwalls are one of the most annoying ducks, in my opinion (perhaps because I just did a competition for them and had almost none show up in my last attempt :roll: )
* Something I'd suggest is that you pick up a .22, like the Grasshopper (my preference) to be able to pick off birds from a greater distance than with the shotguns, and also to remember that for most missions, it's ok to shoot them if they're swimming or on the ground. It's just the competitions that require them to be airborne.
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

TexNA55 wrote:Initially, I got to day 4 or 5 and had to fail that one too, as it was impossible to climb without rope, and shoot a rock ptarmigan.
Tex.
You can climb up in the North East area of VDB, towards the top of the map. It's along trek but you CAN get up without climbing gear.

The Gadwell mission you had must have been a hard mission, and it is unfortunate that they include waterfoul in the daily missions.
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

TexNA55 wrote:Day32 and I got hit with this stupid mission: Harvest a male gadwall

Are these missions possible to complete for beginners, or should I give up doing the dailys until I own 1 of everything?

Tex
The daily missions can be very difficult for beginning players. You need the right equipment like callers, electronic callers, and tents in convenient locations helps an awful lot too.

It might be a good idea to not stress out too much with breaking the daily streak while you are gaining hunting skills and equipment. Concentrate on completing regular missions to harvest those GMs while getting your tracking skills up to level 10 where you can identify the sex of the animal by the track. Being able to identify the animal sex will help a lot with the daily missions. Pick a regular mission to complete on the same reserve as what the daily needs, and you may get lucky and complete the daily while working on the other mission.

Return to “General Chat”