Spook Zone?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Spook Zone?

Post by OldMtnMan »

Anybody know what the spook zones are for the different weapons? Rifles, big and small? Bows, vertical and crossbow?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Re: Spook Zone?

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Its a difficult question to answer because the higher the trophy value of an animal in any given species will give a different result.
E.G. a whitetail spike will spook at a lesser distance than a 200 plus scoring whitetail buck.
Generally I tend not to expect to hear a call until I have travelled from the centre to the edge of the huntermate away from my last shot, but many insist that it is further, and put 500m as a separation distance between hunters in M.P. sessions, in order to mitigate the possibility of one hunter spooking another hunters trophy animal.
Each species has different values of hearing, scent and sight. We dont have any defined distance from the devs as to any weapons spook range either, so you are working with a multiplicity of factors that operate differently for each species and individual animal on the map.

Best that you can hope for is to die in your boots.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I figured out what I wanted to know. I'm going to do another account delete and start over again. I was trying to figure out what gun I wanted to use. I really want to just use ne gun for all my hunting. The sound the Sharps 45/70 makes is so addicting i'm going to go with it. That eliminates any deer hunting but I don't care about that anyway. I'll just stick to hunting for the big game. Since my style of hunting is always walking and sneaking in. The spook zone isn't as important. I can make a kill and then go back to crouch walking and get another call in 10 minutes. I can accept that. Sitting in a stand the spook zone is more important. I find that too boring.

So, thanks Dan. I knew I wasn't going to get an answer. Too many variables.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

LOL.
Carry a bow. Buy the arrows by the bundle. I love using the tracers in my snakebite.
Eliminate any females that are likely to spook if you cant get around them. They also have a nasty habit of following you if you call and they are still within range of the caller. Kill them anyway.
Eliminate any small bucks of your target species so that you can to prevent them calling and following you as well. Also prevents them calling and preventing you from getting a call from the bigger animal. Little bucks call first and they pay for ammo. saves taking time out at the range for target practice..
Save your 45.70 for that monster you are looking for. If you do fire a shot there is no problem in running a couple of hundred yards ( within what you consider the spook range of your last shot ) before going back to Ninja mode.
The more animals you delete off the map the more likely you can find the big one if he is there.
This method may not be to your liking but it sure as hell provides relief from the boring factor.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I've tried that and it doesn't suit me. I don't like mass killing of easy to kill animals. I don't care about big numbers. Just a challenging hunt. I loved hunting with a bow in real hunting. Not so much in the game.

I'll have to sleep on it. I'm trying to decide between the 45/70 and the .340. I've owned both guns and like them both. The .340 has a nicer selection of scopes. Should I stay traditional or go modern? I'll work it out.

I tried going back to DCS and ACC. Those days are over for various reasons. So, it's hunting for me full time now. I need a fresh start and use just one gun to see how far I can get with it.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Ok, I tried COTW and in 10 min my dog started to run around in small circles. Then it crashed. Deleted it. I won't try again.

WOTH has many problems and I won't waste my time on it anymore.

So, Classic will be it for me from now on. I'll try UH if I live long enough.

So, I finally got CS to delete my OldMtnMan account. I've put a lot of thought on what weapon i'll be using. I decided to go with a crossbow. Not so I can do a lot of killing, but because I hunted with a crossbow for 5 years and was very active on the crossbow forum. They're fun to hunt with but pretty bulky to carry around. Not a problem in a game. My ears were always ringing from guns shots in the game. This won't happen not. Crossbows sound like 22's going off. My hearing won't object.

So, i'm sitting here trying to decide between the reverse draw and Tenpoint. My real crossbows were Tenpoints. The RD bow has more power but only a 2X power scope. That's not enough. I used a 6x power on my real crossbows. I could zoom from 1X to 6X. Just right.

Any opinions on which bow to buy i'd like to hear them. I just bought 5000 ems and i'm itching to go spend it. Luckily with a bow we can hunt every animal with it.

BTW.......My new game name is........XBOW.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Ten point. Use tracers and buy them by the bundle.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I've been leaning that way Dan. I should be ok if I keep my shots under 50m.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Ok, everything is bought. I had to buy another 2000 ems to get it all. I never saw the arrow bundles before. Quite a savings. I bought a couple of bundles to get me started.

A lot more tents and tree stands will have to be bought before i'm done. I went with the Army camo this time since i'll be on RFF a lot and the green fits in better than the B&C. Plus, it has a boonie hat which I like better than the truckers hat.

I hate spending more money on this game but i'll forget it by tomorrow. I must be pushing $1200 spent so far. Damn! That's a set of tires for my Jeep.

I hope I get along with the crossbow.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

A question for you Dan.

I just shot the bow at the range at RFF. It has the animal targets that record the penetration. Are they accurate to real animals? If I get a double lung on a moose target. Will I get one on the moose in game at the same distance?

On my past account when I owned the reverse draw xbow. I did the same test. It has pins to 80m so it was easy. I got a double lung at all distance to 80m. With the Tenpoint it has pins to 40m only. I was surprised that using holdover it also got double lung shots to 80m. It was comical on how much holdover I needed at 80m. It starts dropping right away past 40m. In my real xbow hunting I never took a shot past 40yds. That's about 36m. Since the bow has the power to take double lung shots at 80m on moose. I should be safe taking 40m shots on all animals in Classic.

All this will depend on whether the animal targets are accurate for penetration. Are they?

Thanks for your help.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “General Chat”