Does Weapon Camo Make A Difference In Being Spotted?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Bonedigger777
Tracker

Does Weapon Camo Make A Difference In Being Spotted?

Post by Bonedigger777 »

I maxed out my Snakebite (Green Camo) skills and achievements a while ago and I've recently been using the Heavy Recurve most of the time to level it up, but I still like to use the Snakebite for critical shots like shooting the big stags for Sambar comps. I bought the winter camo Snakebite a couple days ago figuring I might as well level up the achievements for that if I'm going to use a Snakebite. Twice now I've had a big Sambar stag look straight up at me when I pulled out the winter camo Snakebite to get ready to shoot him. I'm wearing full 3D tropical camo with a B&C face scarf in a treestand. I was able to drop both of them before they completely spotted me and spooked, but I was wondering if anyone has noticed a difference in being spotted by high scoring animals when using a weapon whose camo clashes with the map colors.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Does Weapon Camo Make A Difference In Being Spotted?

Post by HooCairs »

By design, weapon camo has no effect. Whether that is correclty in the code we can never know.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Bonedigger777
Tracker

Post by Bonedigger777 »

HooCairs wrote:By design, weapon camo has no effect. Whether that is correclty in the code we can never know.
I didn't think it should make a difference, but it seemed like quite a coincidence that two stags would start to spot me just after I started using the winter camo.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

What position were you in when they looked at you? Standing, crouch, or prone? Stand or not?

I doubt the weapon matters or i'd never get close to the animals with the guns I use. I never use a camo gun.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Bonedigger777
Tracker

Post by Bonedigger777 »

I was crouching in a treestand (you can't go prone in a stand).
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

That's really unusual. Normally, they never look at us in treestands. They don't know we're there.

I tested whether it mattered if we were camo in a treestand. It didn't seem to matter if we wore it or not.

Only on the ground does it matter what we wear, our scent, or what position we're in.

Maybe Hoo has an answer? He's been playing this game from the beginning.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Bonedigger777
Tracker

Post by Bonedigger777 »

I think it's just the big stags that are aware enough to spot you in a treestand. I've had one or two do that before. I don't normally shoot the hinds or the little stags unless they're rare or needed for a mission or comp, so I usually end up with as many as a dozen sleeping below me with no idea that I'm there until I drop a big stag in the middle of them.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I have no experience with that animal. Plenty of elk though, and they don't see me.

If Hoo comes back to this thread, he'll know.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Bonedigger777
Tracker

Post by Bonedigger777 »

You should try them out. They're fun, and have a lot more behavioral idiosyncrasies than most of the other deer. They're fun to just watch. They have no caller so you have to lure them in with scent lure. Watch out for the water buffalo in the lower elevations though if you do.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I should try more maps and animals. I'm really tired of killing the poor elk.

Water buffalo huh? Can't be worse than the blasted grizzlies always trying to kill me.

I'm also thinking about going in the snow after bison. Since it's about ready to snow here. I'll feel right at home. :) You probably don't get as much snow on the plains? I live at 8000ft.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “General Chat”