I'll Be Going Now

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
acrobat
Hunter

Re: I'll Be Going Now

Post by acrobat »

Maybe they should implement a hardcore option for people who like it with way less animal density at all and animals way more spooky to come more to reality where there is a big success to hunt anything at all !

Walking around and meeting a deer every 5 minutes is a bit of arcade shooting indeed . I've asked for it several years ago but it was never followed since for the vast majority of players such a hunt would be boring.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

One thing that helps is to hunt in the more remote areas. Stay away from any water. Wherever you think elk are? Don't go there. Go where you think there aren't any and find one.

Just shooting bulls over 350 will help too. Never shoot a cow. I'll be passing up a lot of elk but that's fine.

It reminds me of real elk hunting. After the rut the breeding bulls would go to the worse areas to hunt you can imagine. They want to rest and put some weight on for winter. So, that's where I looked for one. I never ever saw another hunter in those areas but there were elk there and I was after one. It was always hell getting the meat out but well worth it at the end of the day. It always made me smile to work so hard for the meat. I enjoyed it all year.

I miss hunting.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
acrobat
Hunter

Post by acrobat »

Yes but there still is the spooking radius . I cannot say anything about elk but in case of wild boar a real one would notice you at multiple times greater distance than ingame . They hear and smell extremely good

In fact it would boil down to enter a tower and wait in silence if you see one . Walking around the grounds would in 99.9% result you do not harvest anything. Not sure if this would be fun ingame but i think worth a thought

Further it comes down wild boar is in most cases night active.

Out of curiosity : how do you harvest an elk when you hunt it in remote , non accessible by car areas ?
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Boots in and backpack the meat out. Usually, around a 3-5 mile one way trip. Three trips to get the meat from a bull out. 250lbs.

Keep in mind it was at 10,000-12,000ft too. Elk hunting in the Rockies is not easy. Especially, as I got older. I loved it until around 60 and then it got tough. In my 70's it was killing me. No complaints through. I loved it. I always hunted alone too.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
acrobat
Hunter

Post by acrobat »

OldMtnMan wrote:Boots in and backpack the meat out. Usually, around a 3-5 mile one way trip. Three trips to get the meat from a bull out. 250lbs.

Keep in mind it was at 10,000-12,000ft too. Elk hunting in the Rockies is not easy. Especially, as I got older. I loved it until around 60 and then it got tough. In my 70's it was killing me. No complaints through. I loved it. I always hunted alone too.
You not only gut the innards but completely strip the entire elk in the field ( without even hanging it up ) and carry by feet beyond your gear ~80 lbs of blood streaming meat in your backpack to make three 3-5 miles one way trips ( so total 18-30 miles ) in a time the meat will stay fresh without any cooling ?

Your real name is chuck norris :D ?
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Oct at 11,000ft is not a problem to keep the meat cool. Blood is not a problem. I might hang up one load and get it the next morning.

Not Chuck but did work out hard all my life so I could do it. Knowing the workouts would help me elk hunt made them more fun to do. ;)
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “General Chat”