Tip of the week [NOMINATE]

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
jocotail

hits and misses

Post by jocotail »

When you miss an animal let it run away!
abslayer
Master Competitor

Re: hits and misses

Post by abslayer »

jocotail wrote:When you miss an animal let it run away!
LOL and how is this a tip
calamar2000
Hunter

Re: Tip of the week [NOMINATE]

Post by calamar2000 »

:?: :?: :?: pardon : I think he meant "a moment" and I agree to + :idea: 5mins. ;)
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)
Cutch
Master Competitor

Post by Cutch »

by jocotail » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:40 am

When you miss an animal let it run away!
Play the game like you hunt in real life hunting: That is, after wounding or missing an animal, Take a break, sit down and wait
at least a half hour.

A wounded animal will keep running until it drops if you start tracking it right away, If you rest a half hour or so. The animal runs
much farther away if you start tracking it right away,...they watch their back trail.

The wounded (or missed) animal will calm down If you rest a half hour. Then after waiting,.. .start tracking. Most of the time,
you'll find the animal has bled to death when you find it, ....or,...it's too weak to get up from losing so much blood from the wound.

After waiting a half hour to start tracking the animal you've missed, you'll find it much closer in less time.

However, In our game, some times the animal will return to the spot you called from or sprayed, IF YOU WAIT. I've had this happen
many times in our game. Howver, I've never seen this happen in real life hunting. (Maybe others have?)

Many times an animal not hit in a kill zone will run and heal in a few weeks or months. Her'e an example:
Years ago, I was hunting Mule Deer on the Klamath Indian near Klamath Falls, Oregon.
My Klamath Indian Pal dropped a nice 4 point (western count,...eastern count would be a 10 point.) I was on a high rim rock above
him a saw him drop this buck from a group of 4 bucks. When I walked down to help him gut the deer, I saw the front left leg was shot
completed off art the knee,...probably a wound from the previous year. The wound has completely healed and he didn't limp or run
slower,...he kept up with the other 3 bucks.

So, after you track them for a long ways, and they have quit bleeding, and have calmed down and started walking again,...you may
never catch up with them. ;)
A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's:
She changes it more often.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

The trapper tent, besides being a beautiful model, is a very handy item for this reason: you can climb on top of it and use it much like you would use a large rock to get a raised position for your shot. It's kind of like a portable rock for the hunter with a caveat though. Erecting a tent spooks animals in a 100m radius and starting at a tent means animals will not spawn in a 150m radius. Other than that these tents, unlike any other tent, can serve as a portable rock to use to get above tall grass or otherwise for a shot. Recently I've started using these tents almost exclusively for that reason. After all, you can't have too many tents in this game. Why not use one that you can actually climb on top of?
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

As a rule of thumb...
An animal that is LURED...is a lot less ALERT.

I have been seeing this over and over. Examples:
- Following animals can be tricky and they can spook from far out. Once you call them, they become very dull and don't even run when facing you.
- You can sneak up to bears, hogs, goats around feeders, it takes a lot more for them to spook than usual.
- When fast traveling to a tent and getting a call from cats or wolves, turn or an e-caller or use a spray right away. Don't try to make it into a stand first, or they might spook.
- With some lured animals you can almost shake hands before they feel different and bolt.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
El Turista
Tracker

Post by El Turista »

Tip(s) for Timbergold trails... (and may be other places)

PRO tip: DO NOT GET YOUR DOG. And if you do keep it away from you.

From all the reserves i think than TGT is the most related to "hearing".

1) dogs "norrlgs" and wolfs do a similar sound when they are at 100m or so. It's hard and unnecesari to be clasifiing if that is a sound of a wolf, of my dog, or even the sound of taking your huntermate from the inventory(that sounds i'ts very similar)

2) if you're training you pointer... go better for bunny. The cats here are clever. The birds are a chaos (here the dog hepls, thats true, but better a high LVL dog) and the terrain for deer... you have a lot of clear and plains to make your ambush. Use your pointer to "`pick" roe deer and make a stand against them. In TGT isn't neccesary

3) there's something else about dogs...

EDIT!: No. that's not about dogs. It's about bears (in this reserve grizzly, but you can do it whit the others) The sound is ESENTIAL to stalck a bear. You can hear them "grunting" from more than 100m and it's basic with no calling bears (black, brown) and very helpfull with grizzly. The "grunting" is not precise, but it's true. At the end of the day if you learn to "catch" that sound you know that is a bear in the arrounds. The best reserve to "feel"that is Hemmeldal, but in TGT it's very usefull. If you take your dog there... mmm
Last edited by El Turista on April 30th, 2021, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Turista
Tracker

Post by El Turista »

And a General TIP:

If you (as every we do) watch youtube videos of thehunter you will see that they keep the "huntermate" up always. I dare you to don't do that! there is an option in control, keymap menu to "holster" your hands. It's more usefull than you think.

First in the usual "seek and hunt" that every of us do "magically" you have a lot more of awarenes and intes of keep going with the black triangle yo choose wisely to go up and hooping to see what's down...

And second, in some reserves the sound is very important and if you're focusing in the "huntermate" you're neglecting a lot of info.

So the tip is:

Put your huntermate up when necesary and keep your "holster" buton close and quick.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

But then there is audio cues the hunter mates pick up that you dont hear.
El Turista
Tracker

Post by El Turista »

jonsie wrote:General Tip:

If you can't find the next track, try looking just outside the tracking cone on either side. Some animals don't like to play by the rules.
Nice, but my 2cents. You better follow a straigth line and look to the easy way out than to the cone. Use your previous tracks to set an imaginari straight line. even with a high tracking level
Last edited by El Turista on May 7th, 2021, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Chat”