increasing gm$ reward for conscientious hunters

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
ogruls
Outfitter

Re: increasing gm$ reward for conscientious hunters

Post by ogruls »

OldMtnMan wrote:Do you have a lot of outages? I haven't had one in 10 years.

My point is no reward should be given but taken away.

It doesn't affect me. I've never tried to make gms.

I'm just saying.
On plenty occasions when playing MP games Internet can drop off between you and the host resulting in lost animals.......am assuming you don't play MP, if you did you would know this happens. Now you want to fine players if am reading you right by deducting gm$. Would lead to less folk playing the game as newer players give up as they judge deductions to be unfair and would agree with them.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

_Cross wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:I have a better idea. Instead of rewarding for doing what everybody should already be doing. Penalize by taken away gms if an animal isn't tracked down after being shot.

It's a hunting sim, not a killing sim.
This idea of ​​yours is far from good, imagine the beginner players who do 1 hour to 2 hours of hunting and shoot at various animals and have a lot of difficulty finding them, this would make them negative and they would never be able to increase their GMs.
The game should know if you tried to track the shot animal. If you never find it there should be no penalty. The penalty would just be for those who don't bother to try. The penalty would not be so bad it would keep someone from advancing.

Trust me, I know the aggravation of failing to find an animal I knew I took a good shot on. However, I always give finding it 100% no matter how long it takes. I had one yesterday with the caplock. It was a blacktail comp. I shot it center chest in a frontal shot. I was really surprised to see it run off. I tracked it for a good 1/2 hour determined to not have it register as a hit but not as a kill. Then something happened I didn't think was possible. I was still trying to find the buck and found a new track and was following it. I then heard a buck grunt in the direction i was going. I said to myself no way can that be my buck. It would never call when wounded. I moved in slow to the call and it was also walking towards me. I hunkered down and waited. Finally, it showed up and it had it hanging low like they do when wounded. I shot it and would you believe it was my buck showing my first shot was a body shot. How is that possible when I shot it dead center in the chest. It would have to hit some organ. Well, I had the buck but when you take two shots on an animal the first shot is registered as a hit but no kill. There goes my perfect 100% hit-kill I always try to keep on a weapon.

Anyway, a penalty is not a great idea and neither is giving a reward for tracking down animals you shoot. You should always do that without being rewarded. Finding the animals you shoot is a huge part of hunting. Not doing it in some states is a felony. A huge fine and loss of license in others. Some call it poaching. I won't mention what real hunters think about those who do it. You'd be better off getting caught by the warden than other hunters.

I know this isn't real hunting, it's a game. That's true but the name of the game is The Hunter. Try and be one. It's more than blasting every animal you see.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

Nah i prefer just blasting, that's how i have my fun. You have your fun your way, and i'll have mine, my way. Don't impose the way you want to play on me.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

OldMtnMan wrote: Finding the animals you shoot is a huge part of hunting. Not doing it in some states is a felony. A huge fine and loss of license in others. Some call it poaching. I won't mention what real hunters think about those who do it. You'd be better off getting caught by the warden than other hunters.
Could you list some of those states, because I've never heard of such a thing and very much doubt it's true. Poaching (hunting without a valid license), is a crime, but not finding an animal you shot with a valid license is not. It's just bad form.
Personal Bests...
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

I'm assuming he's referring to wanton waste laws which do exist in most states. They're all worded just a little bit differently but they all come down to the same thing. In Maryland, it states that "an individual who intentionally wounds or kills a deer with a firearm, bow, or crossbow shall make a reasonable effort to take possession of the wounded or dead deer." Virginia has a similar one, "No person shall kill or cripple and knowingly allow any nonmigratory game bird or game animal to be wasted without making a reasonable effort to retrieve the animal and retain it in their possession."

It's a good law to have in real life for obvious reasons. There's rarely a good reason to waste a natural resource. But let's be real, it's not exactly enforceable unless someone gets caught doing obvious criminal things like dumping deer, cutting heads off of deer, etc. Hunting comes down to ethics. A "reasonable effort" to retrieve an injured animal can mean different things to different people and it's up to an individual or in some cases, a court of law, to determine exactly what it means. But there is no hard definition. To one person it could mean "there's no blood, I must have missed" while they dead animal unknowingly lays in a ditch 100 yards away and just didn't leave a blood trail. To you, that may not be good enough. To them, it might be. What's good enough comes down to the individual. One of the biggest things they teach you in Hunter Education in the United States before you can get a hunting license nowadays is that hunting is just as much ethics as it is actual laws. Let's be real, unless you give someone a reason to be suspicious of you and they investigate, most hunters hunting alone can do and get away with just about anything against the law. Poaching out of season. Not reporting harvests. Baiting when it isn't allowed. Electronic calls and decoys where they aren't permitted. Those things are easy to get away with, particularly if you hunt on private property. It's wrong, but people do it. Hunting has to be a self-policing sport as much as a lawful one. Some people are by the book legal and ethical. Some people are by the book legal and unethical. Some people break laws, but might still be ethical. Some people break laws and are unethical. That's just how hunting is.

No. There is no law that says you have to find what you kill. Just laws that say make a reasonable effort to find it, with no definition of what is reasonable. Not finding a deer you looked for for an hour is not a criminal act. Obvious and provable wanton waste is.

But all that comes back to this not being real life. It is a game. If you so severely insist on calling it a realistic hunting simulator, go for it. But I think you have two issues there. 1. Not everyone who hunts in real life is legal or ethical. To have that aspect in the game as well is more realistic than pretending like every hunter is a saint. But one also has to understand that just because someone does something in a "realistic simulator" doesn't mean they'd do the same in real life. No, I wouldn't shoot 30 deer in a day in real life. But this is a game and I don't care. 2. It's still just a game, simulator or not. The Sims is a life simulator. People love to play it just to make people drown in pools. They do it because it's a game. They find something they think is entertaining and they do it, and that's alright. At the end of the day it doesn't affect you, so why care? Play the game the way you want. It's unnecessary to penalize people (taking away gms value of harvests) for not playing it the same way you do.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

xOEDragonx wrote:I'm assuming he's referring to wanton waste laws which do exist in most states. They're all worded just a little bit differently but they all come down to the same thing. In Maryland, it states that "an individual who intentionally wounds or kills a deer with a firearm, bow, or crossbow shall make a reasonable effort to take possession of the wounded or dead deer." Virginia has a similar one, "No person shall kill or cripple and knowingly allow any nonmigratory game bird or game animal to be wasted without making a reasonable effort to retrieve the animal and retain it in their possession."

It's a good law to have in real life for obvious reasons. There's rarely a good reason to waste a natural resource. But let's be real, it's not exactly enforceable unless someone gets caught doing obvious criminal things like dumping deer, cutting heads off of deer, etc. Hunting comes down to ethics. A "reasonable effort" to retrieve an injured animal can mean different things to different people and it's up to an individual or in some cases, a court of law, to determine exactly what it means. But there is no hard definition. To one person it could mean "there's no blood, I must have missed" while they dead animal unknowingly lays in a ditch 100 yards away and just didn't leave a blood trail. To you, that may not be good enough. To them, it might be. What's good enough comes down to the individual. One of the biggest things they teach you in Hunter Education in the United States before you can get a hunting license nowadays is that hunting is just as much ethics as it is actual laws. Let's be real, unless you give someone a reason to be suspicious of you and they investigate, most hunters hunting alone can do and get away with just about anything against the law. Poaching out of season. Not reporting harvests. Baiting when it isn't allowed. Electronic calls and decoys where they aren't permitted. Those things are easy to get away with, particularly if you hunt on private property. It's wrong, but people do it. Hunting has to be a self-policing sport as much as a lawful one. Some people are by the book legal and ethical. Some people are by the book legal and unethical. Some people break laws, but might still be ethical. Some people break laws and are unethical. That's just how hunting is.

No. There is no law that says you have to find what you kill. Just laws that say make a reasonable effort to find it, with no definition of what is reasonable. Not finding a deer you looked for for an hour is not a criminal act. Obvious and provable wanton waste is.

But all that comes back to this not being real life. It is a game. If you so severely insist on calling it a realistic hunting simulator, go for it. But I think you have two issues there. 1. Not everyone who hunts in real life is legal or ethical. To have that aspect in the game as well is more realistic than pretending like every hunter is a saint. But one also has to understand that just because someone does something in a "realistic simulator" doesn't mean they'd do the same in real life. No, I wouldn't shoot 30 deer in a day in real life. But this is a game and I don't care. 2. It's still just a game, simulator or not. The Sims is a life simulator. People love to play it just to make people drown in pools. They do it because it's a game. They find something they think is entertaining and they do it, and that's alright. At the end of the day it doesn't affect you, so why care? Play the game the way you want. It's unnecessary to penalize people (taking away gms value of harvests) for not playing it the same way you do.
Agreed....I think in some states, maybe most, if you hit game animal, but can't find it, that's it, you've used your tag. Hard to prove obviously, but I assume they are trying to avoid people culling for better animals by just walking away and not tagging a small one.
Personal Bests...
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

xOEDragonx wrote:I'm assuming he's referring to wanton waste laws which do exist in most states. They're all worded just a little bit differently but they all come down to the same thing. In Maryland, it states that "an individual who intentionally wounds or kills a deer with a firearm, bow, or crossbow shall make a reasonable effort to take possession of the wounded or dead deer." Virginia has a similar one, "No person shall kill or cripple and knowingly allow any nonmigratory game bird or game animal to be wasted without making a reasonable effort to retrieve the animal and retain it in their possession."

Agreed Dragon, In real life, i actually run a deer recovery services with my beagle Dottie to help people find wounded animals. I"m all about the ethics hehe :), but this is a game, I either want to sit in a tree/blind and relax or somedays i want to shoot whatever moves hehe.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Fletchette wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote: Finding the animals you shoot is a huge part of hunting. Not doing it in some states is a felony. A huge fine and loss of license in others. Some call it poaching. I won't mention what real hunters think about those who do it. You'd be better off getting caught by the warden than other hunters.
Could you list some of those states, because I've never heard of such a thing and very much doubt it's true. Poaching (hunting without a valid license), is a crime, but not finding an animal you shot with a valid license is not. It's just bad form.
One example.

Colorado

FELONY OFFENSES:
If convicted of a felony violation, you can face a lifetime license suspension:
▶To kill and abandon big game. It is illegal to remove only the hide, antlers or
other trophy parts and leave the carcass in the field.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

OldMtnMan wrote:
Fletchette wrote:
One example.

Colorado

FELONY OFFENSES:
If convicted of a felony violation, you can face a lifetime license suspension:
▶To kill and abandon big game. It is illegal to remove only the hide, antlers or
other trophy parts and leave the carcass in the field.
Which is not the same as not being able to find an animal you hit or might have hit. How would one, "remove only the hide, antlers or other trophy parts and leave the carcass in the field", if you couldn't find the animal in the first place? You know what, forget it. I'll just assume you meant to write something different from what you actually wrote and leave it at that.
Personal Bests...
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

They didn't word it very good. There's two laws there. The first one and the one i'm talking about is it's a felony to abandon an animal. That could mean making no effort to find it. If you make every effort and can't find it you don't have a problem. However, you never know when a warden is watching you. They're pretty sneaky.

Then the other law is taking just the trophy parts.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”