Bootstrapping theHunter in Free to Play

Enjoy the fan made guides and experience of fellow players or write your own!
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Re: Bootstrapping theHunter in Free to Play

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Its the OP"s choice for the next step. While I agree the 30r is a great weapon it isnt permitted for the bigger animals that the 300 is.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

Nathan112244 wrote:
curlyCoyote wrote:Sorry if I am not understanding correctly, but why buy .300 instead of a weapon that can shoot faster, like .30 R/U breack action rifle?
Break*
and the .300 opens new missions for completion
I don't remember seeing any easy missions apart from the .300 caliber requirement for last wt mission. I feel like having 2 shots, especially on a guy that knows how to aim, helps you get more animals, and complete missions faster, since you don't have to track down the 2nd animal again to shoot it as well.
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

DanthemanBoone wrote:Its the OP"s choice for the next step. While I agree the 30r is a great weapon it isnt permitted for the bigger animals that the 300 is.
Im perfectly fine with his choice, but shouldn't you just get like a 45 70 or a 340 for bigger animals like bears, moose, bison, and buffalo?
Why have 1 weapon do everything mediocre when you can get 2 to be really good at ethically killing sheep/goats-water buffalo? Not saying .300 is bad penetrating power, but only having one shot and not being able to do as much damage to bison/buffalo unlike 340 and 45 70.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Personally I think the 300 is the better choice than the 45.70 because it reaches down to the deer species at the top of the 243's range of permitted animals and deals with them much more positively. The water buffalo are the only animals missing from the permitted list with those 3 weapons so my next purchase after the 300 would be a bow, most likely the ten point... then definitely the 45.70. After that its any toys that take your fancy.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
rogor
Scout

Post by rogor »

As a complete newbie, you have the 243 and the shotgun. I personally refer the 30 R as a hunting gun .. but the 300 is needed for missions. The 300 is VERY versatile, it takes a good (the best imo) scope ..

By having a larger caliber, the MISSIONS go faster .. shots can be taken from further, misses are rerer, and follows are shorter.

After the 300, its a bow, rangefinder, treestand .. and so on.

In my main game, I have spent about $EM 175 000 and $GM1 500 000 so far in the game .. this is a LOT of mission resets. At the moment, with all the tools, I get about $GM 300 000 on a Mission cycle. I dont know how much the $EM175 000 translats out to .. probably another $2 000 000???

But I have all the outfits, all the guns. And theHunter is a joy to play. But my 'EXPERIMENT' would definitely have put me off if I was starting out now.
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

curlyCoyote wrote:
Nathan112244 wrote:
curlyCoyote wrote:Sorry if I am not understanding correctly, but why buy .300 instead of a weapon that can shoot faster, like .30 R/U breack action rifle?
Break*
and the .300 opens new missions for completion
I don't remember seeing any easy missions apart from the .300 caliber requirement for last wt mission. I feel like having 2 shots, especially on a guy that knows how to aim, helps you get more animals, and complete missions faster, since you don't have to track down the 2nd animal again to shoot it as well.
Tankbuster is 2 cow moose in the lungs with the .300
Nathan22Outdoors
jack30286
Tracker

Post by jack30286 »

The .300 is needed in 7 different missions. That is why a bootstrapper would purchase it.
Spoiler:
ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

You do the first 3 WT missions then go do the Dall & Snowshoe Hare packs as these two packs can be completed with the starter weapons, so can Ptarmigan but takes a while to do. Your first weapon should be the .44 revolver and scope as it means you can then complete all the Roosevelt Elk missions. First rifle you buy should be the .270 as that combined with .44 revolver now mean you can complete all the Mule deer missions. Elk & Mule mission sets = 29k gm$ + kills.
rogor
Scout

Post by rogor »

Well, I foud something interesting !!!! I am enjoying my 'BOOTSTRAP' experiment more than my main game!!!

I have just completed Cycle 3 .. ie bought my second 'Reset all missions'

Summary so far:

End of Cycle 1 (HS 301)
234 and Single Action
Red Deer, Elk, Predator, Hog callers

End of Cycle 2 (HS 684)
300 Carbon
Roe Deer, Moose callers
Extended capacity

End of Cycle 3 (HS 1160)
44 revolver + scope
5.5-22 rifle scope
Turkey caller
Sunglasses for WRR
Tent

Now I can actually spot using the rifle scope.
Next: Tree stand, Snakebite, Rangefinder, Tripod, Blaser O/U, 7mm Break action
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

Just found this thread today. It's an interesting read. Lately I'm relying more on earning gm's to buy new equipment as I'm on a tighter budget. Fortunately, I'm not starting from scratch as I've built up a fair amount of equipment up until now via spending hundreds of $$ in the past in this game. Nevertheless, my hunts are always optimized to earn the most gms. Yesterday was one of my most profitable single hunts where I earned 4,000 gms in that hunt.

Speaking of mission resets, I should probably save up a min gm base balance amount just for that purpose and not spend it. Maybe also factor in there a certain amount for the occasional trophy taxidermy costs. Mostly I'm using gm's to purchase new weapons as most of the other gear is taken care of. Some maps have more tree stands than I need so I can always pull a tree stand off another map if needed.

Lately I've been using a super helpful tool by Brutus969:
https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

You can see quickly what items and weapons are going to earn you the most gm's. It's all there. It's super helpful. I can't recommend it enough.

There are still many weapons I don't own in this game. Without that tool I may have purchased weapons that really don't make that much in the missions even though they're needed.

Here is an example of a few of the top earning weapons and items in the regular missions (numbers here come from the tool linked above):

6.5x55 Blaser R8 Bolt - 12,100 gm
.22 air rifle - 6,600 gm
7mm breakaction - 20,300
9.3x62 Anschutz bolt - 7,000gm
longbow - 9,500gm
cable backed bow - 8,400gm

Tree stand - 35,000gm
Tripod stand - 25,800gm

A few examples of low earning weapons:

.50 inline muzzle loader - 1,600gm
.45-70 Buffalo Rifle - 1,000gm
45-70 Government - 1,000gm
16GA side by side - 1,000gm

As you can see from these few examples, it makes it clear what weapons you should buy next if you're grinding out the missions for gm's.

Return to “Fan Guides”