Trail Cam Pics

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Re: Trail Cam Pics

Post by OldMtnMan »

A small young bear. It will get smarter as it gets older.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Reggy
Scout

Post by Reggy »

Radamus wrote:AWESOME! Amazing stuff!

Yeah Reggy, Where the hell is that? Cougar in the UP? I never knew! I knew bear and moose, saw both while snowmobiling a bazillion miles across the UP over maybe 10 years. I saw a lot of wild stuff the most impressive being what I think were Martin's? They could move through trees in ways I can't explain, like magic, and deer walking trails in snow above their heads. How they survive blows my mind up there. Seeing moose tracks on the trails knowing there's a 1 ton animal out there somewhere than will kill you has a way of getting ones mind right in a specific way that's not desirable, yet memorable :lol:
Around the Michigamme/Republic area. 49861.

A few years ago the DNR finally had to admit there are cougars in the UP as one or more of their trail cameras, near Gwinn 49841, clearly showed them. I first saw one 15 years ago or so as I was driving/playing off-road, the cat stopped, looked at the truck then took off, there was no mistaking it for anything other than a cougar. Moose we see along the road every year in spring as they're blowing their coat and look like crap. They don't seem to mind the cars even when you stop, but get out and they are gone. We have a creek running along the side of our property and I've seen lots of moose and deer. They visit within 30-40 yards from our house. The moose are very scared of ppl, just run at them and shout and they take off running.NOTE: Do NOT try this during the rut, they will kill you!!! The deer just look at you like "What, I'm eating just go away" lol They do run if you get really close, but you can get withing 15-20 feet and they just ignore you especially if you're trying to get them out of the garden.

Yeah the bear is young but we don't get really big ones in this area, but there are some large ones in other areas, I see hunters get. There is a lot of them up here, I see them eating blueberries very often during blueberry season. No I don't go blueberry picking. :D

Seeing pictures from down-under was really cool, thanks for those!
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

I've been through that area Reggy for sure. Where we saw moose was up around Big Bay - That whole area all the way over to Baraga is so isolated. I can absolutely see all kinds of animals living their entire live without interactions with humans.
what I remember about that particular trip was how isolated everything was and some of the most awesome trails and coldest weather I've ever been in. At the lighthouse on Big Bay it was -60deg F ~ it was so cold your eyelashes would freeze together, could barely breath. I p'd on a tree and it froze instantly. Just stupid stuff like that. Being in negative degree weather isn't so much a thing but on that particular day we experienced cold on a level that is hard to comprehend.
To think that wild animals survive it is astonishing altogether.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Reggy wrote:Around the Michigamme/Republic area. 49861.
Have seen a few moose in the backwaters of the reservoir. (WPA, Rockcrusher Rd.)
Love that whole area between 141 & 95. Lots of room to get lost. (~quarter million acres?)
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Absolutely! Yesterday I was back in Wildcat Canyon near Silver Lake Basin. It sure is a remote area! Saw some moose sign but no moose, some bear and wolf sign as well. Best part of all was I didn't see any people ;)
There's a lot of ground to explore in that area. The whole north western part of the U.P. is a pretty awesome place.
Reggy are you from Michigamme then?

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda

Return to “The Great Outdoors”