Score this one!

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Score this one!

Post by Radamus »

We have a new critter hanging out close to the house. On Sunday morning we had bacon for breakfast but this fella had fresh squirrel! So for all the wiring them bushy tails chewed up on my new truck a few years back I didn't mind at all that he carried one out in the field and buried it. Then we saw him/her coming out in the open a few times and the wife managed to get a couple pictures - this one is out the bedroom window. It sure is a pretty one. It's quite possible it's a mom with her kits nearby. She will be safe with me because I only kill the pixel version these day. My gut tells me this one is in the low teens :lol:

"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Re: Score this one!

Post by curlyCoyote »

15-19 score I would say.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

That would be about right for the ones I find when a comp is on.... I have to say, this was one of the best looking reds I've seen. So many times they are full on mangy and I will blow them away because they are just suffering then and that breaks my heart to see. Unfortunately, that's just how it is with nature and fox just seem to get it terribly around my area. At least if she is a mama, she won't be passing it on to her babies which gives them about a zero chance of survival.
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
Spoiler:
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

What a beautiful creature! Many years ago I lived out in the country of the pacific NW WA state, U.S. in a house off the grid about 15 miles from Olympia, WA. Over the few years I lived there I had seen black bear and even a cougar sitting in my back yard one day. We actually had quite a lot of cougar (mountain lions...the thing I'm trying to harvest in this game right now). I'd hear their calls many nights. It's blood chilling and sounds like a lady screaming like she's dying in the most horrible way. I'd hear these cougar sounds just outside my bedroom window that faced the forest. At that time more than ever, I should have been well stocked and trained to use firearms. And yet, I never did own a gun.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Little update on this fox that's been hanging out. To date, since the day of the photo, my wife has seen this fox bury at least 5 squirrels, including one yesterday and we're ok with it really. I few years back I bought a new truck. For the first 6-8 months, squirrels cost me about $2500 bucks by eating all that fresh "soy" based plastic which cover electrical wiring in all the vehicles made today. The dealer, actually had to bring a rollback and pick my brand freaking new truck because of @#%#$$%& squirrels. They ate the wiring off all the wheel sensors (a couple times), the harness on top of the fuel tank for the gauges, pump and vent lines. They ate the harness for all the lights and cameras behind the cab. It was just a nightmare - So, having this fox as my new neighbor, I am loving it! To top it off, the wife recently got a new car and she's scared sh-tless to leave it outside for 5 minutes fearing them bushy tailed rodents are going to chew up on hers as well. So Loving our new wild creature who's moved in. I told her, while the feasting is this good for him/her? it's not going anywhere. It has a good life right here.

So, it's doing well and certainly getting fat!
Spoiler:
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Radamus wrote:Little update on this fox that's been hanging out. To date, since the day of the photo, my wife has seen this fox bury at least 5 squirrels, including one yesterday and we're ok with it really. I few years back I bought a new truck. For the first 6-8 months, squirrels cost me about $2500 bucks by eating all that fresh "soy" based plastic which cover electrical wiring in all the vehicles made today. The dealer, actually had to bring a rollback and pick my brand freaking new truck because of @#%#$$%& squirrels. They ate the wiring off all the wheel sensors (a couple times), the harness on top of the fuel tank for the gauges, pump and vent lines. They ate the harness for all the lights and cameras behind the cab. It was just a nightmare - So, having this fox as my new neighbor, I am loving it! To top it off, the wife recently got a new car and she's scared sh-tless to leave it outside for 5 minutes fearing them bushy tailed rodents are going to chew up on hers as well. So Loving our new wild creature who's moved in. I told her, while the feasting is this good for him/her? it's not going anywhere. It has a good life right here.

So, it's doing well and certainly getting fat!
Damn squirrels! I knew mice did that... I always thought squirrels liked nuts, I guess they were bustin' yours! They're quite the lil' pranksters. :lol: :lol: Respect

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

Wow, that's some hungry damned squirrels! That's crazy that they would eat the wiring harnesses.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Well, we found 1 partial solution. We bought this tape that's supposed to turn them off of wiring. The last time the truck was in, for the fuel tank wiring, we paid them extra to wrap all the exposed wiring with this "pepper tape" that's infused the the stuff found in hot peppers. Since then, no more chewed wires. Also a few empty .17HMR cases laying around helped.

Eventually the wiring "ages" and it's not appealing to rodents but when it's fresh, it's like rodent crack is how I've seen it explained. I've read stories of practically new cars actually being totaled by the insurance company for having wiring systems ate up by mice and squirrels.
Spoiler:
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Looks like a nice fox, and decent size for midwest US. Hard to tell with no frame of reference for size. Are those downed corn stalks?
She looks healthy too. I've seen a pair hanging out on the island behind our house. Haven't seen any kits in the spring yet.
sounds like she has the problem in hand, but for reference... squirrel stew or fried squirrel is actually pretty good :)
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

Radamus wrote: Also a few empty .17HMR cases laying around helped.
I'm jealous, the HMR is a beautiful (expensive) gun. What do you use it for other than squirrels?

Man, the squirrels must simply explode when hit by the HMR!

Return to “The Great Outdoors”