2019/2020

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

2019/2020

Post by Jaegerschnitzel1990 »

No hunting stories yet for this season? No Turkeys? No roedeer?

My season is doing allright so far. I have a lot of appointments right now, so I have missed three or four evenings already, but when I made it out into the woods I´ve connected pretty often.

This pretty old buck (6+) came in right on opening morning. He made it about 40 yards after the shot, which was a nice little exercise for my dog.

A typical yearling buck a few evenings later.

A classic example of a cull buck, 3-4 years and not even a good four point.

Hope all you guys and girls out there are doing just as well.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Re: 2019/2020

Post by DYEUZ »

Thx for sharing . It's give me a funny feeling to see other species than Moose / Whitetail Deer / Black Bear , commonly hunted here in Québec .
Because most of the time , it's these species, i see pictures shared from my friends and family .

Success to you all season long !

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Nice!
I can't for the life of me find a turkey this spring. Since I was away at school, I wasn't able to hunt the first season and had to get a second season tag. I'm pretty sure the my brother educated them too much during the first season and they are now getting call-smart. He also bumped them off the roost once since he refuses to get up early enough to be there before daylight.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Turkey season has been a total bust for me so far this year. I had dozens of trail cam videos and pics prior to the season start and as soon as it came in... birds went quiet and disappeared. I'm the only person who hunts the to areas I've been, so it's certainly not hunting pressure. The weather has unfortunately stopped me twice. One day it was blowing 30mph and gusting 50mph out of the west, and our farm is on a west facing hillside and mostly field hunting so... no good. The other day was a total washout and I sat in the truck at my spot for two hours before daylight before ragequitting because it wasn't letting up and I didn't feel like getting soaked again (it's rained all but one day I have hunted :( )

I could have had a jake during the second week, he came in to beat up on my jake decoy but I don't care much for shooting year olds so I let him walk. Heard one gobble that day from a different bird and that's it. Haven't heard any other gobbling this season at all. Meanwhile I'm sitting at work every day during the week and it's warm, sunny and beautiful and my father and friends are texting me pictures of all these big birds they're killing during the week. Figures. :roll:
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Congrats on your hunts! I especially like you take the time to cover the bullet wound with foliage. While I am by no means squeamish the wound seems to take something away from the photo. I think I may start doing that myself.
No hunting for me, work has had me buried for the last 45 days. Shooting competitions have started up again in my neck of the woods & I will be participating in them.

Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

SoftShoe wrote:Congrats on your hunts! I especially like you take the time to cover the bullet wound with foliage. While I am by no means squeamish the wound seems to take something away from the photo. I think I may start doing that myself.
To cover the wound with foliage and also to place a twig into the mouth of the prey is part of the german hunting traditions (we have a lot of those). Like most traditions it does have a practical background, as it prevents bugs, flies and other nasty critters to get into the open wound and the meat.

In my previous post I showed you textbook examples of cull bucks that did not meet the standards. Now here is what you want to see in a good roebuck. I got that one on thursday and I´m not sure whether I will get a better one this year.

Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Now that looks like a nice roe! So is that something worth having mounted? It doesn't have much of a spread by the photo but at least its got a rack more like what we look for.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

I‘m on my cellphone right now, so i will respond to your question later on my PC.

In the meantime I‘ll share a pic of my red deer spiker I got yesterday evening. Been waiting for one of those since may started, as I need meat for our wedding party, so I‘m happy I finally got one. 42 kilos w/o head and hooves, loads of good meat :D

Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

Radamus wrote:So is that something worth having mounted?
Now back to your question: Of course it´s everybodys own choice what he wants to have mounted and what he doesn´t. The "usual" german way to prepare hooved animal trophies is european mounts ("boiled and bleached skulls"), mostly with about half of the skull left. This is what I do with the best roebucks of the season. Having only limited wall space and quite a big harvest quota (as mentioned before in earlier RL threads, hunting is part of my job) I meanwhile only mount the real wall hangers, which means old and/or very big or memorable bucks. The one we are talking about will get a place on my wall, as well as the first one of this year because he was really old and the first buck in my new job.

What you´re pointing at (at least what I think) is taxidermy, right? Personally, I would not taxidermize a roe deer, but if I wanted to, the buck had to be bigger. This buck is pretty good, but he is far away from "top end".
Valrag
Spotter

Post by Valrag »

Yesterday i managed to bag my first roe buck for this season. I shot it with my trusty vz24 in 9,3x62

Return to “The Great Outdoors”