Custom Knives Anyone?

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Custom Knives Anyone?

Post by Radamus »

Curious if there were any knife connoisseurs in the crowd.

I've been keeping an eye on one company because they are made a mile from my house and the #2 man is my neighbor and pretty well known himself. The guy has a pretty big following. The hard part has always been just having an opportunity to order one, and wait for months. Most are forced to the used market to get their hands on one. The guy I speak of is Jerry Busse, Busse Combat and Busse Custom Shop. They also market under "Swamp Rat", Jerry's wife does these designs and "Scrap Yard" Jerry's brother. They are one name in knives where you can buy a new one and sell it the next day for it more with a waiting list in case the first guy falls through. It's a pretty niche' hobby I think so I was curious if we had some fans around here. There are some collectors out there with some incredible safe queens and I think are possibly former lottery winners because it's not a cheap hobby that's for sure :lol:

I'm still learning and educating myself so if there are others out there I'm always interested.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Re: Custom Knives Anyone?

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

I know that Ron LaClair makes custom knives. He shares pictures on another forum that I use. They look really nice.

It's kind of like bow building. You get to do whatever you want with it.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:I know that Ron LaClair makes custom knives. He shares pictures on another forum that I use. They look really nice.

The only forum I know of is "Blade Forum" seems to be a pretty active one and it's where all things Busse happen. Supposedly next week there's going to be an open order program. It's crazy how it works. They will offer up a special on a particular model or new design and there's a start time. Most people have their orders ready to go and the second the clock strikes the magic moment everyone shoots orders and just as fast, it's sold out and all over from what I am gathering.
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
Spoiler:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Radamus wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:I know that Ron LaClair makes custom knives. He shares pictures on another forum that I use. They look really nice.

The only forum I know of is "Blade Forum" seems to be a pretty active one and it's where all things Busse happen. Supposedly next week there's going to be an open order program. It's crazy how it works. They will offer up a special on a particular model or new design and there's a start time. Most people have their orders ready to go and the second the clock strikes the magic moment everyone shoots orders and just as fast, it's sold out and all over from what I am gathering.
He shares them on TradGang.
That sounds insane. I wonder how many orders come in and how many people actually get knives.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

It's like reserving RV sites in State Parks that have it all online now. Sought after sites (like right on the beach in some areas) cannot be reserved until midnight of the date that will be 12 months in advance. They are entire camping clubs that get together with their laptops, log everything in, and hit the button at the exact second it ticks to the correct time. They are all gone in minutes.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:That sounds insane. I wonder how many orders come in and how many people actually get knives.
I don't really know, no one really knows. Jerry is a man of mystery. He's one of a few knife makers who have military contracts and he's tied in with a bunch of special forces groups and I think this has had the biggest impact on what they are able to offer to the public. In the past, it's not unheard of to wait months and months for your order, some exceeding a year even for his custom shop stuff, but those are true works of art and he personally does those. He also won't send something out that doesn't meet his expectations- This is what actually created the "Scrap Yard" line. The other thing is he has a proprietary steel that he created so he's only capable of so much. Lots of people have tried to figure it out but so far the labs can explain it, but no one has duplicated it, very similar to the guy who developed the hardening process for Buck knives, it's top secret. Google "INFI" steel and you'll see what I mean~
Spoiler:
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

I finally snagged a Busse, it's on a jet airplane to me so this is all I have to drool over for now.
FWIW the name of this one is: Double Talon Battle Mistress Battle Grade SR101 ~ what a mouthful but it's referred to as a DTBM or added BG for the steel SR101 and the regular model is Infi. It's been an interesting learning experience to know what's what, what's a good deal and what's a "Looking for Dummies" deal.

https://goo.gl/photos/MLBgvNMByndmojbi6
Spoiler:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Wow, that's a sweet looking knife!
I've got a custom bow being delivered this week, so I'm in the same waiting boat as you. :lol:

Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Well I was able to open the box today and hold my first one in my hand- I showed it to the guy I work next to and he asked "what are going to do? go kill someone with that thing?" :lol: .... reminded me of a typical slicker when I show them some guns "What are doing? starting an army?" I just don't know what to say with all that innocence in motion. What I do know is, if there were ever an apocalypse, I know who's going to last less than a day or 2 :lol:
Spoiler:
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

Some of my godfather's creations (nope, he doesn't do it for a living):

Spoiler:

Return to “The Great Outdoors”