Where it all started

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Where it all started

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Did anyone play any hunting games earlier than this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Deer+hu ... OB3Xy2lMnw
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
splainin2do
Outfitter

Re: Where it all started

Post by splainin2do »

I think that was the first one in our house... I probably still have the CD and could go check! :lol:
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

I never played the first Deer Hunter. But Deer Hunter 2 was my jam for years. At least, until I got my hands on Deer Hunter 4.
splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

Found 'em... Still have the big cd holder case filled with all our old games and other software... :)
[bigimg]https://i.postimg.cc/6386NmQ8/Game-CDs.jpg[/bigimg]
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

Deer Hunter 1-5. The nice thing about these classics was the ability to not only take your weapon to a range, but you could ALSO zero-in your rifles for whatever range you like. I really wish they would bring windage/wind drift and other corrections into this game. Time to make it a SIM instead of a game.
Swampfox
Outfitter

Post by Swampfox »

Wow! Take me back! Those were the good-ol-days! :D
I started out on Deer Hunter 3, and Deer Hunter 4 and thought I'd found the pot-of-gold when Deer Hunter 5 finally came out! :o
Spent countless hours at Antler Creek Lodge, The Hunter's Realm, and Apache's Bayou Hunting Club while hunting DH5!
Very glad to know there are still some of us that remember and are here at The Classic! 8-)
Spoiler:
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Alphamale1956 wrote:Deer Hunter 1-5. The nice thing about these classics was the ability to not only take your weapon to a range, but you could ALSO zero-in your rifles for whatever range you like. I really wish they would bring windage/wind drift and other corrections into this game. Time to make it a SIM instead of a game.
The best thing about the system for sighting in the rifles was the simplicity of it. You just had to use the up, down, left and right arrows on the keyboard one click at a time until you had the range set where you wanted it.

If EW was to make an effort and add this to our current classic game. we could then set our weapons to standard factory zeros and then use the ballistic tables that all ammo makers publish to work out the + or - differences at any range, given that the trajectories used in game are based on the same tables.

Why later games forgo this ability I could never understand. It was still possible to do it in DH2005 by customising reticles and setting the horozontal crosshair at any range and adding checkmarks for specific ranges further out. Unfortunately the scopes we have in classic are basically useless ... because they have gone with one scope for many rifles and the checkmarks on most bear no relation to known trajectories whatsoever.

Not even a correctly calibrated high power mil dot is available.
That in itself would be a massive step forward.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Swampfox wrote:Wow! Take me back! Those were the good-ol-days! :D
I started out on Deer Hunter 3, and Deer Hunter 4 and thought I'd found the pot-of-gold when Deer Hunter 5 finally came out! :o
Spent countless hours at Antler Creek Lodge, The Hunter's Realm, and Apache's Bayou Hunting Club while hunting DH5!
Very glad to know there are still some of us that remember and are here at The Classic! 8-)
Me too. Started with Deer Hunter 3, then 4, never bought 5 because Dh2004 came out and I went with that.
But I went back and bought DH2003 and TH2003 and Deer hunter 2, Bird Hunter 2003 Then DH2005 when that came out.
Watched classic for about 6 months before buying in and have stayed with it since.
Play COTW now and then but it dosnt have the appeal that classic has for me.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

DanthemanBoone wrote:
Alphamale1956 wrote:Deer Hunter 1-5. The nice thing about these classics was the ability to not only take your weapon to a range, but you could ALSO zero-in your rifles for whatever range you like. I really wish they would bring windage/wind drift and other corrections into this game. Time to make it a SIM instead of a game.
The best thing about the system for sighting in the rifles was the simplicity of it. You just had to use the up, down, left and right arrows on the keyboard one click at a time until you had the range set where you wanted it.

If EW was to make an effort and add this to our current classic game. we could then set our weapons to standard factory zeros and then use the ballistic tables that all ammo makers publish to work out the + or - differences at any range, given that the trajectories used in game are based on the same tables.

Why later games forgo this ability I could never understand. It was still possible to do it in DH2005 by customising reticles and setting the horozontal crosshair at any range and adding checkmarks for specific ranges further out. Unfortunately the scopes we have in classic are basically useless ... because they have gone with one scope for many rifles and the checkmarks on most bear no relation to known trajectories whatsoever.

Not even a correctly calibrated high power mil dot is available.
That in itself would be a massive step forward.
Right you are Dan. Now was DH2005 the one that had "African" venues? I seen to remember a hunting game that had elephants and other Serengeti targets. Maybe I'm thinking of another hunting game. I still have all of my CD games from waaay back. I'll have to go through them.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

I also remember on at least one of these classics that you could also "seed" the area with corn and it would affect the next season, iirc

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”