Way of the Hunter - New game coming

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
splainin2do
Outfitter

Re: Way of the Hunter - New game coming

Post by splainin2do »

You should check out the competitions here on the forum. They are (often) quite challenging, and we've done team comps a few times. Plus, it's a great group of people! :D
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

Pittie
Hunter

Post by Pittie »

Thank you, but I meant official team comps/missions from EW. I really appreciate BCKid's contribution to the game (!) , but for me, as a non-native English speaker, these competitions are unfortunately too complicated and too time-consuming.
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

xOEDragonx wrote: March 4th, 2023, 8:31 am I played it again yesterday, still went to Nez Perce though as I still have missions to do there and places to unlock. Played for about three hours and killed about five deer. I like the game but still compare it more to real hunting-- a whole lot of walking without hearing or seeing anything most of the time. It's fun when you find critters, not so much when you've been crouch walking through the woods for a half hour seeing nothing then suddenly all you hear is the crashing of everything running away.

I still have an issue where animals seem to flee from >100-150m while I have the wind in my favor, they were never initially spooked, I literally have a mountain between me and them and I'm crawling prone. I've read the difficulties seem messed up, that normal is hard and hard is normal, so maybe I'll play with the difficulty next time.

I also had the odd aiming issues on uneven ground, and my gun getting stuck in a.... melee position? after shooting. Those were the only bugs I encountered though.

Still not a bad game. Just a little too realistic to be "fun" for a player who is only playing a limited amount of time, as it is slow going. I still plan to launch it every now and then.
Have you levelled up your character? The more you walk the quiter you go. The more you crouch the quiter you go etc.

I tried a bit today with story mode. I remembered the game pretty much as you did so I thought I would pick the easiest. But then I figured I am a seasoned hunter so went for the second easiest mostly to get some aid with tracking. Then as soon as I went out of the lodge in the jeep I was swamped by animals. Herds of different species was actually in the same herd because there was just out of space I guess. I parked the car because all of a sudden I had a herd of deer in front of me. If I had been quick I could have jumped out and get a few shots in before they ran away but I remember the hellish tracking. When looking around I had 8 bison 100 metres behind me. 200 metre behind there was some moose. Forward to the left there was some elk. Then there was caribous running around. They are insanely fast. It was the equal amount of animals as playing 35h in classic lol in 5 minutes! I do believe animals are less likely to spook at this difficulty but ducks still flee when I get within shotgun range and most stuff do run before I see them when walking/running around so with an unlevelled character doesn´t feel to easy to get close. But there doesn´t seem to be a way to adjust difficulty without starting a new story?

Visually it do run okay on my 7800x3D and 3080 12 gb. For the visuals it should maybe run better though there is no dlss support and I do run at 4K. Temporal AA is a must it look horrendous with FXAA. I reduced special effects and post processing and didn´t feel I lost much.
Audio wise the mix is okay for me.

Hunting wise you get some highlights with this difficulty mode but tracking is still incredibly hard. You want to drop animals on the spot but it appears very difficult to achieve. They seem to go all in on not giving the hunter any visual aids for tracking. You need to manually put markers on the map where you last seen the animal. Can´t do it while looking in the binoculars. Then the highlights is very tough to see and most of the time I just loose the animal because I can´t find the tracks when using the hunter sense. This can be good as it give an insane first shot pressure but it´s then so frustrating that it feels like I never have high enough calibers... I did buy the Steyr pack which jumpstarted me a bit but the .270 on moose was obviously not recommended I never found any blood tracks on that one and even caribou with lung shot did run quite a bit.

Another issue there is no way to remove the scopes so you can´t switch between crosshairs and scope unless you are by your vehicle? Again questionable if such realism is really for the better. Two of the steyr rifles don´t even have any iron sights so for those its not an option but the 9.3 steyrs do have.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

One problem solved hit map button create a marker. I guess I didnt find the bleeding on my first animals. I do get decent blood trails now so one of my biggest issue solved. I still loose one or two.

Jeep is actually very usable here. A must given the size of the map. Lucked out on a five star mature moose with 87 %
genetics. Probably shouldnt shoot that one but I desperately need funds.

I am having fun. No issues shooting from prone. Havent tried bows yet but I have managed to call in animals into range. Requires patience ai seem to be a bit more less predictable lifelike as in cotw and not as robotic as in classic.
Pittie
Hunter

Post by Pittie »

knott wrote: March 17th, 2024, 1:30 pm One problem solved hit map button create a marker. I guess I didnt find the bleeding on my first animals. I do get decent blood trails now so one of my biggest issue solved. I still loose one or two.

Jeep is actually very usable here. A must given the size of the map. Lucked out on a five star mature moose with 87 %
genetics. Probably shouldnt shoot that one but I desperately need funds.

I am having fun. No issues shooting from prone. Havent tried bows yet but I have managed to call in animals into range. Requires patience ai seem to be a bit more less predictable lifelike as in cotw and not as robotic as in classic.
I feel the same. I've played Classic for more than 10 years and Cotw since its release. And always with fun. However, I've been getting more and more annoyed with Cotw and its developers lately. The 3D sound bug has been around for more than 2 years and there has been no reaction, comment or statement and of course no fix from the devs. And working 3D sound is a must for a hunting game! So I turned away from this game (and of course didn't buy any more DLCs).

I also don't play Classic anymore because there are no new maps since Free to Play. Unfortunately this game is slowly dying for me. I think with great memories of the old days with Alena as community manager and producer. Great times! But it's history.

Now I ended up at Woth just after the release. This was quite frustrating for me at first, but now I love this game after getting used to the gameplay. The developers are also more active in the forum.

Greetings from Berlin :-)
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

FullDiesel
Tracker

Post by FullDiesel »

I like the fact that WOTH has a herd management system. This is how hunting should be perceived, by evaluating the potential of a herd as a whole and not just individuals. There are also many more interesting features in WOTH like primary habitats, more accurate ballistics and so on. THC still remains a good hunting game, especially from its co-op perspective and competitions, otherwise I don't have much time for it anymore.

So both games are great in their own way, but for me WOTH is closer to how things are dealt in reality.
Elmer Fudd is the ultimate hunter. He never catches the wabbit, but he never gives up ;)
wt_hunting
Scout

Post by wt_hunting »

I have been playing WOTH since its release. Finished all missions and tasks on Transylvania and Nez Perce Valley, only one or two left at Aurora Shores. I have not tried Africa or New Zealand. Not sure I'm interest in them, as the first three are fine for me.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Left Aurora and back to nez perce.i have not touched transylvania yet or the africa reserve.

Åre you free to change difficulty for the story mode or do you start over if you do so. I think explorer is fine for my casual hunting. In this mode its not that challenging if you focus you succeed but still you dont get away with murder except for some odd reason you see to be more stealthy driving the running.

Would be nice with custom difficulties.

Also there is 3 gear slots and there is only two binos you can occupy them with.
wt_hunting
Scout

Post by wt_hunting »

knott wrote: March 18th, 2024, 5:09 pm Left Aurora and back to nez perce.i have not touched transylvania yet or the africa reserve.

Åre you free to change difficulty for the story mode or do you start over if you do so. I think explorer is fine for my casual hunting. In this mode its not that challenging if you focus you succeed but still you dont get away with murder except for some odd reason you see to be more stealthy driving the running.

Also there is 3 gear slots and there is only two binos you can occupy them with.
The empty gear slots hold the deployable tri-pod stands. One slot holds 10 of the regular height stands, and the other slot (you can only use binoc at a time) holds the Giraffe trip-pod that comes with the New Zealand map DLC, free. The cost for ten of the regular size ones is $2999. You can put up to 10 on every reserve. However, you really only need one or two. They are instantly deployable, and instantly removable to put down as you walk. They don't spook anything with about 75m based on my experience. They are huge boon to my game. The static towers have always been pretty much useless. Every one of them has foliage and trees in 2 out of 4 lines of sight. The trip pods are pretty much able to go down almost anywhere, some exceptions, but they will even level themselves on sloped ground if you keep trying. The $2999 was a bargain as far as I'm concerned. I have had up to 5 deployed on a map because I was watching that many herds, but really you don't need that many.

I too did most of Nez, then went to Aurora, and then to Transylvania. They modified the race requirement at Nez, so I went back there and finished all missions and tasks. Now I'm working on finishing Aurora missions and tasks. The only one I have left to do at Trans is the 5 Star Jackal. WotH is lots of fun. I'm watching an Albino Wood Bison right now, and a 4 Star Kodiak in Aurora.
wt_hunting
Scout

Post by wt_hunting »

wt_hunting wrote: March 19th, 2024, 11:38 pm
knott wrote: March 18th, 2024, 5:09 pm Left Aurora and back to nez perce.i have not touched transylvania yet or the africa reserve.

The empty gear slots hold the deployable tri-pod stands. One slot holds 10 of the regular height stands, and the other slot (you can only use binoc at a time) holds the Giraffe trip-pod that comes with the New Zealand map DLC, free. The cost for ten of the regular size ones is $2999. You can put up to 10 on every reserve. However, you really only need one or two. They are instantly deployable, and instantly removable to put down as you walk. They don't spook anything outside of about about 75m based on my experience. They are huge boon to my game. The static towers have always been pretty much useless. Every one of them has foliage and trees in 2 out of 4 lines of sight. The trip pods are pretty much able to go down almost anywhere, some exceptions, but they will even level themselves on sloped ground if you keep trying. The $2999 was a bargain as far as I'm concerned. I have had up to 5 deployed on a map because I was watching that many herds, but really you don't need that many.

I too did most of Nez, then went to Aurora, and then to Transylvania. They modified the race requirement at Nez, so I went back there and finished all missions and tasks. Now I'm working on finishing Aurora missions and tasks. The only one I have left to do at Trans is the 5 Star Jackal. WotH is lots of fun. I'm watching an Albino Wood Bison right now, and a 4 Star Kodiak in Aurora.

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”