Way of the Hunter - New game coming

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
fantamichele
Outfitter

Re: Way of the Hunter - New game coming

Post by fantamichele »

I have a 34 inch Ultra Wide monitor, it works perfectly, I don't see what they need to fix.
I have been playing for 9 hours, it doesn't excite me very much. The water birds move at right angles, they look like the crows of the Timbergold Trail.
I only had one crash (for the moment), I had 6 dead ducks and one moose, when I restarted the game the moose was still there, the ducks were gone.
Too early for a definitive judgment, I'm on a 5 out of 10 rating right now.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

I am still investigating... 8-)

My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
HawkEye81
Tracker

Post by HawkEye81 »

There is a big amount of negative comments on steam reviews/discussions which makes me think this game was release at least 6 months to early. From desync problems to animals teleporting/freezing and horrible fps and many other problems this game can be considered a broken release, to bad we didn't saw any of this on the game reviews on youtube.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Yes its released way to early for sure. I am waiting quite some time before picking it up again.

Can become great may just fail and deteoriate like cotw did who knows time will tell.
fantamichele
Outfitter

Post by fantamichele »

At least I got a 5 star mule deer
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

I just finished my first few hours in the game. I look forward to playing more of it, if that means anything.

The game still needs a little polishing for sure. There are a good many goofy bugs, but none have been particularly game-breaking yet. I started getting bad stuttering at one point early on and had to restart but didn't have any issues the next four hours. Some animals float/bounce, but I only saw it happen to 3 animals and I spotted over 100 easy in my few hours. There is constantly an arm or leg or gun barrel or something poking into my screen while I'm crawling, the player avatar is a pretty twitchy thing. The concept of the photo mode is amazing but so far River's broken arms have made all of my "trophy shots" less than appealing. There were two times I was shooting a shotgun at ducks and it wouldn't let me reload until I unequipped the gun. The character gets stuck walking around the lodge a lot. The cutscene at the start of the game was very poor quality, but I've seen at least one cutscene since and loved the style of the second one. The story is generally interesting so far but there isn't much depth to it at all. I would have liked to have known more about... or anything about really... Hollywood before having to hunt him. The lack of recoil when shooting is odd, but overall shooting feels very natural in this game. The bullet hits where I aim, and I enjoy the bullet cam on the harvest screens. Small game hunting is dreadful but that was apparent while watching gameplay videos. There isn't really waterfowl hunting per se, more like arcadey ducks fly around and land in random places occasionally and you shoot them. No decoys or blinds or anything for them. Small game is annoying to hunt, hard to see, and worth pennies compared to big game so they aren't even worth the effort. But the big game hunting so far is a blast.

The game has a lot of potential. It needs the obvious improvements that most have mentioned in reviews (ultrawide support, keybindings, etc) and it needs some bug fixes, but otherwise the bare game seems good so far. There is a lot of room for DLC, bow hunting will be in high demand and new maps eventually but it sounds like they already have at least two new maps planned. I plan to keep on working through the story missions and exploring the first map on my next hunt.

Others have said it but I'll echo it for anyone reading anyway. This game is different from Call of the Wild and Classic. It's another potentially great hunting game, but in a different way. Call of the Wild was always very arcadey to me, but it offered phenomenal graphics, a huge variety of maps and species to hunt, variety of hunting types and story missions. Classic always felt more realistic to me, in a sense of being able to provide a mostly authentic hunting experience without spending hours in the woods and seeing nothing. It's great for it's competitions, leaderboards, events and the like. This game I can already tell is going to fill a different niche in the hunting genre. It is by far the most realistic hunting experience of the three. It can take a very long time to make even one harvest, blood tracking can be very difficult, shots are realistic in that deer don't insta-drop all the time from double lung and heart shots, and the like. It straight up feels like you're in a real field with a real herd of deer trying to close the distance to make a shot on a nice buck and that one floppy eared donkey faced matriach doe is staring you down hard from 200m away because she KNOWS she saw that human shaped rock move and even when she does finally look away she keeps giving you the side-eye because she's onto you. Now that is a realistic hunting experience. There was one particular buck I was hunting in my game and I had to watch him for almost 20 minutes before I made the perfect shot, because I had to close the distance in an area with poor visibility, bad wind, and he had an armed guard full of does. It was inexplicably satisfying to finally make the shot and see the buck drop within view. In that amount of time with a bow and a tree stand, I could have killed a whole herd of deer, three moose, an elk, and an albino coyote in Classic and while I would have had just as much fun, it would have been a very different kind of fun.

As a real life hunter, Way of the Hunter is already easily taking the lead for the most "realistic" hunting experience for me. That can be a good and a bad thing. I obviously love a realistic experience and I'm sure many others do, but the thing about real hunting is that it's a much, much slower pace than many are going to want to deal with. You actually have to work hard just to shoot a doe in this game. Some people aren't going to like that. But I do.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Very cool first look at the game, xOEDragonx. I haven't dwnloaded it yet, if that is how you get it. I have watched Ron's vids, and have read most replies regarding "The Way of The Hunter", and am excited to give it a go- in time. ;)

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
Grizdude
Trophy Hunter

Post by Grizdude »

@ xOEDragonx
Good review, I find this game to be very challenging. It's hard to get the kill on most large animals as far as sneaking up on them to get a good distance for a good ethical shot. Smaller animals like the Badger are easy enough to bag. Lots of bugs like you mentioned.. one I've run into a couple of times is the blood trail disappearing before it should. I've lost three deer so far because of this and I've never had this happen in classic. I don't much care for the blur around the screen when the hunter is focused, it would be better if it just got a little darker with the highlighted focus points like blood and tracks standing out better. The tracks are of no use because you have no idea what deer you are following because they're all the same and you have no idea how old they are. Some of the perks are tedious to complete, like the crawling one... takes forever before you are silent enough to get up on them, but I can live with that. I sure hope they plan on having Bows in this game because I love to Bow hunt. The water tends to be too loud, along with some other ambient sounds and the animals are hard to hear when you are by any water... I've yet to hear a buck snort when I'm near any sort of water body. I can't for the life of me figure out how to attract any Deer or Elk with the callers... I've tried every type of pattern and nothing works for me... has anybody figured this out? The scenery is great and the way the animals look and react is very good too... a lot of work went into creating this environment and the ambient sounds are just as good too. All the winding roads are fun to drive on and the layout of the U.S. map is well done ( I haven't hunted the European map yet). I can't remember ever hearing the occasional grasshopper in any other hunting games, but this one has them, along with many other great ambient sounds. There is a lack of birds flying around though, which kind of takes away from the feel of the game. I haven't seen one Eagle or Hawk... heck.. I haven't seen any birds aside from Pheasant and they're everywhere! The blood trails could be way better as far as the size of each splatter because they are just too hard to follow the way they are right now. I'm playing on the Xbox XS series and so far it's been good, but now and then things disappear and re-appear as far as grass and trees and such. So far the game is appealing to me and as it is right now I give it a 7 out of 10. It has a lot of potential so let's hope they make it right with future content and bug fixes. I'll follow up after I reach a higher level.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

I completed the crawling perk on day 1. I fell through the ground endlessly, and some perks started to complete. So I crouched, completed those, then laid down and completed those as well. :lol:

The tracking will be addressed in the first patch. So far I find this very hard. Luring took a while to understand.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

I have not had a blood trail disappear on me at all yet, but that doesn't surprise. Definitely hoping that gets a quick fix. I actually really like the current blood tracking. It is very difficult, but so is tracking in real life. I've double lunged deer and you would have thought someone ran through the woods with a super soaker full of blood spraying everything. I've also double lunged deer and only ever seen a couple drips of blood before finding the deer 100 yards away. It's not always easy in real life and I really like that they actually make us have to look. Playing yesterday, I hit a doe in both lungs and an artery and the blood trail was different from all the other double lung shots. I assume it was artery blood, bright red, and only a couple drops but literally every foot. You couldn't see it moving quickly and the hunter sense wasn't even picking it up. I stared straight down at the ground and followed every little drip so I wouldn't lose the trail. Very tedious to the average player I'm sure, but I couldn't help recall all the times I've done the exact thing in real life. My friend calls it hound dogging, bose to the ground, unaware of anything else and just focused on the trail. It was exactly what I've done in real life, and I just thought that was great. I'll honestly be disappointed if they make it intentionally easier to track. But blood trail bugs definitely need to go.

The graphics are good, not quite up to CotW standards but still leagues ahead of most hunting games I've played. The only problem is they don't feel as crisp. My screen always feels slightly out of focus. Turn on hunter sense on top of that which blurs most of the screen and it was giving me a killer headache trying to play it this morning.

Tracks don't work in this game like other hunting games. I'm 99% sure they're static. When animals run away from me, they never leave tracks for me to follow (another realism thing, I've never jumped a deer and been able to follow it footstep by footstep in real life, I usually just have to guess where it'll head to). I'm pretty sure the tracks are just on animal trails, and their sole purpose is to lead you from one need zone to another for the species of the track. The animals do use those trails and they leave droppings when they do. The droppings are the only thing to let you know if the trail was used recently. If it's just tracks, that means nothing other than a need zone is on either end of them.

I have not bought any callers yet, so I can't attest to if they work or how they work.

The water is a bit loud, but only when you're close to it. I do hope they lower the volume slightly but it's easy to just walk a few feet away from the water's edge.

I've unlocked a few perks so far. I'm not really focused on them, I figure I'll get them as I go. If I don't do the thing often ebough to unlock tge perk, then I probably don't need a perk related to that thing. Crouching is efficient, fairly quick and doesn't spook much so I definitely use it way more than prone. Prone is painfully slow and you can't see a thing. I have ducked to hide from some alert deer until they calmed down but otherwise I haven't spent much time prone. It also makes aiming on inclines very difficult.

I also enjoy all the ambient sounds. I hadn't really noticed the lack of birds or little critters. While they're something I enjoy in real life, I feel like the sounds alone can make an environment feel alive without ambient critters running around. I would be indifferent if they added them.

The game doesn't seem super optimized. I've seen a lot of people with high end rigs getting some patchy FPS. My own video card is practically ancient at this point but I was surprised that this was the first ever game that I had to turn down to medium settings to get decent FPS.

I'm also thinking a 7/10 currently. Get rid of the bugs and it's an easy 8/10. Get some more options in there like some camo clothing options for cool trophy shots, archery hunting as a whole, maybe the option for waterfowl setups, more maps... and it has 9/10 potential.

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”