Way of the Hunter - New game coming

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
Grizdude
Trophy Hunter

Re: Way of the Hunter - New game coming

Post by Grizdude »

xOEDragonx wrote:I'm also thinking a 7/10 currently. Get rid of the bugs and it's an easy 8/10. Get some more options in there like some camo clothing options for cool trophy shots, archery hunting as a whole, maybe the option for waterfowl setups, more maps... and it has 9/10 potential.
I agree! One thing for sure.. there are a lot of similarities to CoTW with this game. I think anyway.
HawkEye81
Tracker

Post by HawkEye81 »

xOEDragonx wrote:The only problem is they don't feel as crisp. My screen always feels slightly out of focus. Turn on hunter sense on top of that which blurs most of the screen and it was giving me a killer headache trying to play it this morning.
Same here, when I'm trying to discover new areas I have to use hunter sense all the time and after 2-3 hours I feel like after a night of heavy drinking...
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

HawkEye81 wrote:Same here, when I'm trying to discover new areas I have to use hunter sense all the time and after 2-3 hours I feel like after a night of heavy drinking...
Fully agreed. Early game anyway, it doesn't make sense to walk too far without hunter sense on. You want to learn where the need zones are so you can come back to them later. But with such a large map and still only a fraction of it explored, I imagine I'll play with hunter sense on non-stop for quite a long while yet. I just wish the blur was gone. I understand the effect they were going for, but it's too annoying to be fully efficient. Like Griz said, just darken the screen edges without the blur.

I figured I'd show this roadmap here for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. The planned improvements include most of what I was hoping to see so as long as they follow through and continue to clean up any bugs along the way, I'll continue to be quite happy with the game.
Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

I agree on the hunter sense comments - but I think it's way more immersive and fun to play without it. Ranger mode is the best!
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Brutus969 wrote:I agree on the hunter sense comments - but I think it's way more immersive and fun to play without it. Ranger mode is the best!
It absolutely is. But at the end of the day it's still a videogame and I'm at the mercy of the videogame's built-in clues to know where animals are going to be and when they're going to be there. So I'm going to utilize those clues where possible and the only way to discover the need zones to begin with is to use the unappealing hunter sense. One could just aimlessly walk around in open areas until they see or hear animals, but then you're missing part of what makes hunting, well, hunting. In the real world I look for animal trails and signs and plan my approach accordingly. The game feels a lot more realistic knowing I can do exactly that. It's just that the means by which you look for animal signs in this videogame is kind of awful at the moment. Ideally one could recognize animal signs in a videogame without magical highlights or glowy bits, but that's just a lot harder to do when you're looking at pixels and not a real forest. I plan to collect as many need zones as possible then avoid using the hunter sense ever again. But for now, it feels a bit like a necessity to fully immerse myself in the environment. A dreadful one unfortunately.
Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

xOEDragonx wrote:the only way to discover the need zones to begin with is to use the unappealing hunter sense
Not fully true - have a look at the need zones you've already found, turn hunter sense off, you should notice quite distinct visual differences from the surroundings, for most of them.

And, I often stumble across them accidentally on ranger mode without even looking for them. You know because the 'E Analyse' comes up. I think there are enough need zones around that it's actually more forgiving than it seems. And you can almost always rely on bodies of water having need zones right by them.
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

First patch out yesterday so gave it a trial run. I really don´t have time so I don´t mind waiting until they hopefully iron things out.

The jeep is supposed to spook less. And for sure on my first go all of a sudden I see a group of mule deer resting don´t minding me at all at maybe just over 100 metres distance. Got out took a coffee still there so may as well harvest some. I forgot the binocular wish you could spot with the scope as well but kind of cool just visually trying to figure out what to get. It was a easy shot but to my amaze my perfect broadside shot didn´t seem to be registered a hit by the animation. Can´t you shoot resting deer? It could be a hurricane there was no way to miss that shot. If there was blood I couldn´t find it I did find the rest zone though. I have to say hunter sense still do feel kind of underpowered it´s not really helping much in detect need zones need to focus and I am on a 48" 4k oled at 0,6 metre distance. That can be both a good and bad thing I suppose but just used to it being so easy with the hunter mate finding tracks and cotw need zones that is also layed out clearly.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

I didn't read anything about the jeep in the release notes. I have had that already before the patch.

There are some shot detection bugs around though and even good shots have gone unnoticed and did too little damage.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

HooCairs wrote:I didn't read anything about the jeep in the release notes. I have had that already before the patch.

There are some shot detection bugs around though and even good shots have gone unnoticed and did too little damage.
May have read it in the perk tree.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Insane rendering distance. Instant kill shot from 915m shooting flat from one mountain side to the other. Given the energy table, even more is possible. :)

My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”