Where it all started

Discussions about the latest in digital entertainment, computing, software and hardware
BCKidd

Re: Where it all started

Post by BCKidd »

Anyone play this? Hunting Unlimited- :lol: :lol: .

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
Swampfox
Outfitter

Post by Swampfox »

DanthemanBoone wrote:
Swampfox wrote:Wow! Take me back! Those were the good-ol-days! :D
I started out on Deer Hunter 3, and Deer Hunter 4 and thought I'd found the pot-of-gold when Deer Hunter 5 finally came out! :o
Spent countless hours at Antler Creek Lodge, The Hunter's Realm, and Apache's Bayou Hunting Club while hunting DH5!
Very glad to know there are still some of us that remember and are here at The Classic! 8-)
Me too. Started with Deer Hunter 3, then 4, never bought 5 because Dh2004 came out and I went with that.
But I went back and bought DH2003 and TH2003 and Deer hunter 2, Bird Hunter 2003 Then DH2005 when that came out.
Watched classic for about 6 months before buying in and have stayed with it since.
Play COTW now and then but it dosnt have the appeal that classic has for me.
I also owned DH 2004 & DH 2005 and got in to making maps for these games thanks to The Hunting Dutchman who shared his knowledge and all his maps with us.
I also remember when DH2003 was released and how it failed. It was bugged so bad and became so very hard to play due to lag and crashes consistently.
Bird Hunter 2003 was another favorite along with Trophy Hunter 2003.
I also played several of the Hunting Unlimited games.
Without a doubt The Hunter Classic is the best of all. I sometimes attempt to play COTW but nearly every time I go there, the game ends up crashing and locking up on me so I always return to The Classic.
Spoiler:
outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Post by outrider »

Cabela's Big Game Hunter:
open season
2004 season
2005 Adventure
2006 Trophy Season
10th Anniversary
Outdoor Adventure

Deer Hunter:
Legendary Hunting 2003
Deer Hunter 2004
Deer Hunter DH2005 { my favorite of the Deer Hunter series}

Hunting Unlimited

Deer Drive:
Hunting Season

Electronic Arts:
Deer Hunt Challenge

Let's not forget:
Topics:
Turkey Hunt Deluxe

Bass Pro Shops:
Trophy Hunter 2007

i'm sure there are more. But i haven't unpacked all from moving here 3 years ago.... :lol:
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

:shock: :o Good to see you Outrider! I wonder if you were playing HU when I was? The best one out of that series was HU 3 I think. The GOAT (Greatest Of All Time) in this era is of course theHunter Classic, for now at least! ;)

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

So as far as I can find researching on google, Deer hunter was the first deer hunting game pulished for PC. ( !997 ) Does anyone know if there was any earlier published for PC.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

You guys are all way ahead of me. What you did I did with auto racing sims. I never thought about playing a hunting sim until I had to retire from real hunting. My first hunting game was COTW. I played it for a few months and wasn't that happy with it. Then someone mention Classic. I bought it and never looked back.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

DanthemanBoone wrote:So as far as I can find researching on google, Deer hunter was the first deer hunting game pulished for PC. ( !997 ) Does anyone know if there was any earlier published for PC.
I had one of the first PCs back in late 80s. It was an IBM PS1 personal computer. When I bought it, it was running at 25Mhz (Mega not Giga) and later you could use a "Clock Doubler" to reach 50Mhz. But all the video was done thru DOS (Disk Operating System), not Windows (Protected Mode). There may have been a hunting game or two that used DOS. But it would have been VERY "blocky" and not really playable by today's standards.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

My first computer was a Win 2000 desktop. The OS was on a floppy disc and it came with a whole heap of CDs that needed to be loaded on to give you the basic programs. Took about three hours to set it up. When DH 2004 came out I downloaded the Free trial version off the net. That was the first download game I ever had. Within a week I had ordered the full CD from E Bay. That took about three weeks to arrive here in New Zealand.
Back then my best frame speeds were about 18 to 22 FPS.
I recall playing DH2005 MP with a mate hosting the session in America, who had a later model rig than me. I shot a stag three times before it dropped. My mate was laughing his head off, He saw it drop at the first shot. He couldn't figure what the hell I was shooting at.
These days I laugh at those posts complaining about download speeds for updates and complaints about frame speeds dropping below 60 FPS.
Those players have no Idea what we were happy to put up with in those early days
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.

Return to “Other Games & Tech Talk”