Dog ignoring "stay" command

Report all dog-related bugs and glitches here
nachthexe
Hunter

Dog ignoring "stay" command

Post by nachthexe »

I have observed in several cases that the pointer dog ignores a stay command.
By ignore I mean that the dog does nothing, but no -?- appears in the lower left corner. So there is no "misunderstanding" due to programming. The command simply has no effect on the dog. I have not been able to discover the reason for this.
Code: Select all
VonStratos
Outfitter

Re: Dog ignoring "stay" command

Post by VonStratos »

Useful data, its not only the pointer, this "bug" happens with the Scent hound and from before the Pointer were implemented, how to reproduce? not 100% accurate but usually is triggered when you give a command to the dog like track a wounded animal, or find an animal depending if we talk about Scent or Pointer, then the dog do the work and find the animal, in the case of the Scent you find the dog barking at the animal dead, you harvest the thing with the HM, all ok, then if you try give the stay or laid down or other command to the dog nothing will happen, not even a "?" to fix it you have to give the "come here" command, and after that the dog will recognize commands again.

I don't use the pointer enough to be certain but i think you can reproduce if you send the dog to track lets say a rabbit then you kill the rabbit while the dog was pointing at it. the dog will come back at you automatically, but still give the "come" command to make sure he will recognize future orders.

Sorry i don't remember what name has the command to make the dog come at the owner, so i refer to it as the "come here" command.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
BearJohnson
Hunter

Post by BearJohnson »

What level is your dog?
I may be a noob... but I still have fun!
Trigger time = FUN!

VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

BearJohnson wrote:What level is your dog?

Its not related to level of the dog, is a known bug where the dog don't receive the command, its not that it fail to understand "?" its a bug where the avatar make the command animation but the dog don't receive the command at all, no reaction, no icon "!" or "?" is a glitch in the code, like talk to a deaf dog, my scent hound is lvl41 and i have that bug sometimes, the work around is give the "come here" command and then you can give the desired command, for some reason that reset the dog so you can give orders again, i have that command bound to my wheel button in the mouse, since the bug used be more common before, i just press the middle button every time i need and so make sure the dog is ready to receive commands, and hopefully will understand, at lvl 41 still can be very dumb sometimes. ;)

ImageImage
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

Thank you for sharing your observations, I will do that if the problem reappears. Still, I guess it is a bug.
Code: Select all
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Confirmed. I have also had this bug, No response at all to the track command. No indication whether the dog has accepted or rejected the command.
I have my alternative commands on my number pad. First time it happened I moved the command to another number thinking it may have been my keyboard at fault. That worked.
But tonight it failed again. So I opened the V controls and tried from there and that would not work either. Next game it worked fine the first time I used the track command then went dead again when I tried to use it the second time.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

From my experience with the bug is like the game "think" the dog is already in laid down position even if the dog is walking around you, the bug is triggered usually when the dog is under stay, but then for some event it automatically have to move, like when the owner gets to far or make FT to somewhere else and the dog re spawn walking,etc, and since you cant give the laid down or stay command when he is already under that command the dog don't receive the command. This was more evident when the dog IA was still programed so every time you made a shot the dog ran to the hunter automatically, even if was under the stay command(that was so annoying) because every time the dog did that i had to give a different command and then the stay command.

ImageImage

Return to “Dog-related bugs”