The scent hound is terrible, DO NOT BUY!

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
Mattb85
Spotter

The scent hound is terrible, DO NOT BUY!

Post by Mattb85 »

After using the scent hound for a while now, I've concluded that I hate this thing! It is easily the worst thing I've ever purchased in ANY game and seems to only exist to make the game frustrating! After weeks of using it, the best I've got the thing to is to level 16 and it has not improved since level 1. For some reason I've still been using it, in the hopes it will become useful... it doesn't, at least not at lvl 16. It levels so slowly and has screwed up so many hunts that I'm absolutely done with this terrible game mechanic!

Positive:
- Can find animals you can't about 5% of the time.
- Can wear a backpack that allows 5 extra weight. (Then again, the other dogs can to and they are MUCH better)

Negative:
- Will get in your way.
- Will walk in front of you when you're trying to shoot and block your shot.
- Will push you and your friends... sometimes off cliffs (was funny cause it was my friend).
- Will lead you the wrong direction.
- Will bark at animals which spooks them and ruins your hunt.
- Will get stuck on trees.
- Will get confused 95% of the time... even when it is standing on the dead animal.

Sorry for the rant but this dog has made playing this game so much worse than it should be.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Re: The scent hound is terrible, DO NOT BUY!

Post by OldMtnMan »

I wasn't planning on buying it.

Dogs aren't needed to hunt unless it's birds.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

Nearly always hunt with Scent hound, no complaints.
AveryW88
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by AveryW88 »

Not saying there aren't problems with the dog, but they bark when you're about to spook an animal. The bark itself doesn't cause the spook.
ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

AveryW88 wrote:Not saying there aren't problems with the dog, but they bark when you're about to spook an animal. The bark itself doesn't cause the spook.
Most of the time if animals spook was caused by me not the dog, i.e. forgot to give it correct command or my movement caused the spook not the dogs but easier to blame dog suppose.
bcbdrums

Post by bcbdrums »

I disagree... My scent hound is amazing. There are many kills I'd have lost without her. Like real life, the dogs have to be trained. They're basically puppies when they start. I remember mine giving up a blood trail many times, so I'd just go back and send her again until she found the kill. When she was low level she would often run right over the dead animal and give me the "?" rather than barking. Now she's nearly at level 45 and she's invaluable! It just takes time and commitment like training a real dog.

(Would like to add, my hunting partner's level 50 pointer is invaluable as well!)
Knoeyedea

Post by Knoeyedea »

My dog has aggravated me a few times as well, but I keep using her. She's at level 10 now and today she couldn't find a coyote's trail after a few hundred meters. I found it for her, gave her the track command and she went a few meters and stopped. So I found the next track, showed it to her and she crested a small hill and stood over the top of the coyote. I think she didn't want me to find her kin folks, let alone shoot it. The next track was of an elk and she behaved perfectly.

Return to “Kennel”