The hound is broken

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
ronin65
Scout

The hound is broken

Post by ronin65 »

As it goes up in level the hound dog loses tracking qualities. It has level 35 and loses track more and more quickly. The moment the blood runs out it stops tracking and the sign "?" comes out. That's not to mention that it deviate more and more from the blood tracking route

Conforme va subiendo de nivel el perro sabueso va perdiendo cualidades de rastreo. Tiene nivel 35 y pierde el rastro cada vez de forma más rapida. En el momento que se acaba la sangre deja de rastrear y le sale el signo "?". Eso sin contar que se desvia cada vez más de la ruta de rastreo de sangre
jan333jan

Re: The hound is broken

Post by jan333jan »

doesnt matter what lvl is he- scent hound is bad generaly
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

A lot of the problem with the scent hound is that there are not any instructions on how to use the scent hound. I was about to give up on it completely until I came upon some key information that helped me understand what is happening.

The "?" indicates that the animal you are tracking is still alive. If you wait for the animal to die (however long that takes) the dog should start tracking it again. Of course, if the animal needs a second shot you will just keep getting the "?", so you could just be screwed anyway. In general it's a good idea to give it some time before you send the blood hound out because they can spook the animal and actually chase it farther away too.

Mine is level 34 now, and while I don't use it daily, I've not noticed any issues with it deviating from the trail (at least no more than usual :-D )

All of the dogs could do with a rework though, especially the hound.
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)
shooter19522

Post by shooter19522 »

mel_o_mel wrote:A lot of the problem with the scent hound is that there are not any instructions on how to use the scent hound. I was about to give up on it completely until I came upon some key information that helped me understand what is happening.

The "?" indicates that the animal you are tracking is still alive. If you wait for the animal to die (however long that takes) the dog should start tracking it again. Of course, if the animal needs a second shot you will just keep getting the "?", so you could just be screwed anyway. In general it's a good idea to give it some time before you send the blood hound out because they can spook the animal and actually chase it farther away too.

Mine is level 34 now, and while I don't use it daily, I've not noticed any issues with it deviating from the trail (at least no more than usual :-D )

All of the dogs could do with a rework though, especially the hound.
While parts of your answer may be correct, I have an issue now with 2 Scent hounds.
1 @ Level 33, a new dog at Level 2.
For a few weeks now my lvl33 hound has been very erratic in his behavior, deviates badly from the track and if and when he finds the dead animal he continues without barking or just returns to me eventually.
This is now happening every time I instruct him to Track blood even if the dead animals is within my eyesight (Just to test him)

I got annoyed as I use my dogs regularly so bought a new Scent hound but after the 1st track she is now exactly the same as the 1st dog.
This has to be a bug of some description & needs fixing as Dogs are expensive.
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

shooter19522 wrote: While parts of your answer may be correct, I have an issue now with 2 Scent hounds.
For a few weeks now my lvl33 hound has been very erratic in his behavior, deviates badly from the track and if and when he finds the dead animal he continues without barking or just returns to me eventually.
This is now happening every time I instruct him to Track blood even if the dead animals is within my eyesight (Just to test him)

I got annoyed as I use my dogs regularly so bought a new Scent hound but after the 1st track she is now exactly the same as the 1st dog.
Out of curiosity, what stance are you in while your dog is tracking? Try making sure you're standing the whole time the dog is tracking and see if that makes a difference. Its seems if I'm crouching/sneaking, I have poor results with the scenthound. But if I'm standing/walking following the dog, he seems to work more as I believe he's designed to. Just give it a try and let me know your results.
shooter19522

Post by shooter19522 »

xOEDragonx wrote:
shooter19522 wrote: While parts of your answer may be correct, I have an issue now with 2 Scent hounds.

Out of curiosity, what stance are you in while your dog is tracking? Try making sure you're standing the whole time the dog is tracking and see if that makes a difference. Its seems if I'm crouching/sneaking, I have poor results with the scenthound. But if I'm standing/walking following the dog, he seems to work more as I believe he's designed to. Just give it a try and let me know your results.
Normally, I follow my dogs 30/40m back in a Crouch/walk.
Since I first posted, I have continued with both dogs in different hunts.
Regardless of my stance "Sometimes I will send the dog & wait by the blood" but have tried Running, Walking, Crouching but no improvement with either hound.
Unfortunately, there is the odd time the dog will act as He/She should & track correctly but this is around 1 out of 10 tracks.
This random & erratic behavior prevents me from putting in an official ticket as it would be impossible to reproduce.

I also have a Lvl 37 Retriever & a Lvl 50 Pointer & both of these are working very well. :)
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

I've done a couple of hunts recently with my bloodhound and didn't see anything really out of the ordinary. Of course, that means he ran past a couple of dead deer without stopping and baying, but that's not really unusual.

The only time he stopped and gave me the "?" repeatedly was on a bear that I needed to shoot again (1 hour 34 minute wound time by the time I caught up with him back at the barrel and brought him down).

It's not the first time I've heard of bugs affecting some people but not others.
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)
Dubitabilus
Hunter

Post by Dubitabilus »

Sorry to hear you all having such a bad experience with the scent hounds.

I'm assuming these issues are primarily stemming from gunshots and not archery shots? For archery shots the hound should keep tracking even if the animal is still alive with a poor shot. I've had the very funny situations of watching my pooch chase moose with arrows sticking out across RFF and HD.

The poor quality of the tracking behavior, in my experience, is a combination of gunshot placement, other animal tracks and some weird issues with animal bodies upon death. I too have had my scent hounds track right past an animal, but I realized they started tracking another animals nearby tracks.

Additionally, the scent hound takes FOREVER to level up since they gain experience at a flat rate. Despite all this, I still like having the hound around just to help find the next track, especially in the situation when an animal runs in circles trying to flee.
Semper vigilans, Numquam dubitabilis - "Always Vigilant, Never Doubtful"
https://www.boone-crockett.org/minimum- ... n-big-game
Spoiler:

shooter19522

Post by shooter19522 »

Problems with the dog seem to be so hit & miss that I cannot pinpoint any reason.
Both Rifle & Bow hunts are similar.
On a happier note: I have been doing Bison missions again today & the Dog has been perfect on every harvest, even watched him 100m away nipping at the heels of a fleeing Bison that had an arrow in it. (He got it eventually)
Seems to be improving so he will get a lot more hunts with me :)
Catafesta
Tracker

Post by Catafesta »

After many tries, i find that the scent hound is literally worthless.
I don't know if he is working as intended, or it's a bug. Would be nice if some dev could share some points on that.

Basically i see 2 situations:

1 - the shot is good and the animal drops immediately or few meters away - so the hound isn't needed at all.
2 - the shot is bad, the scenario i assume the hound should be useful, and it doesnt find anything or give up after few tracks (considering that the animal will eventually die with an arrow shot or intestines or something like that).

Mine is still lvl 22, kinda hard to level up something that doenst help at all. The only useful thing i see about this dog is that he can carry some ammo for me.

I'm about to give up and try the pointer, but i'm worried this will be another dissapointment.

Return to “Kennel”