Scent Hound dog problem

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
jan333jan

Scent Hound dog problem

Post by jan333jan »

hello,
me 32 lvl Scent Hound dog is totally useless . He cant find nothing . that only one thing what do well is spamming " ? " all time. Can somone who have maxed lvl dog tell me if it improve lvling or it just crap even it max lvl? thanks everyone for reply
knott
Outfitter

Re: Scent Hound dog problem

Post by knott »

You need to find the first track then have the dog follow it. Not using mine for a while I am mostly using my pointer. My scent hound is 22 and operational lol
Tracking is not so hard once you levelled up tracking and if the animal is still alive the pointer can track many species just as efficient it seems if not more as they are just going straight towards the animal and not just the tracks :)
jan333jan

Post by jan333jan »

ill keeping follow first track ofc
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

jan333jan wrote:hello,
me 32 lvl Scent Hound dog is totally useless . He cant find nothing . that only one thing what do well is spamming " ? " all time. Can somone who have maxed lvl dog tell me if it improve lvling or it just crap even it max lvl? thanks everyone for reply

It doesn't get really better im afraid, the thing is, the dog track the blood, so if you make a body shot and the animal run away, it will stop bleeding sooner or later, then no more blood, means the dog eventually will lose the track and show you the "?", at first with ordering again to track he will star tracking, but if the animal stopped bleeding he will just keep spaming "?". The Scent hound is not particularly useful for hunt with rifles, because you can drop the animal in spot, but is a nice addition for bowhunters, because arrows cause permanent bleeding, so the dog will always be able to keep tracking the animal until he find it.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Technically, the scent hound only continuously gives you the ? if the body shot was not lethal. If you make a lethal body shot on an animal that will eventually kill it, say a body shot with a .300 on a whitetail deer which is almost always lethal, the dog will continue to track even after the blood stops. So in a way the dog is still helping, he'll let you know if the animal is going to live or die by whether he continues to track or spams the ? response every time he hits a certain track. If he spams ?, that means that animal will never die without a follow up shot. That's exactly the mechanic that makes the dog track a bow shot animal forever-- because the animal is eventually gauranteed death even if it takes an hour or more real time.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

xOEDragonx wrote:Technically, the scent hound only continuously gives you the ? if the body shot was not lethal. If you make a lethal body shot on an animal that will eventually kill it, say a body shot with a .300 on a whitetail deer which is almost always lethal, the dog will continue to track even after the blood stops. So in a way the dog is still helping, he'll let you know if the animal is going to live or die by whether he continues to track or spams the ? response every time he hits a certain track. If he spams ?, that means that animal will never die without a follow up shot. That's exactly the mechanic that makes the dog track a bow shot animal forever-- because the animal is eventually gauranteed death even if it takes an hour or more real time.

It would be nice if some dev could clarify about the mechanics, im pretty sure it was about the blood(and stop bleeding) instead lethality, i have shot animals, put the dog in tracking, the dog eventually got the "?" and never resume the tracking, but i find the animal dead by myself, so the shot was lethal, the missing part was the blood in the tracks, but i don't know if there has been some change, whenever in doubt, i trust to ask an official word from a dev on the matter, if posible. ;)

ImageImage
jan333jan

Post by jan333jan »

thanks all for replying . I really know how dog mechanics in game may be work/ but sure not really work/ . Problem is that dog cant even find dead animal witch on ground few meters from him with many blood around, thats the biggest problem he just cant keep on blood track at all. I clearly know he is useless as lvl 32 . All i want know and for what i asking is can be better when lvl is higher?
DiligentBeast

Post by DiligentBeast »

My hound works beautifully and he is lvl 19. If he get the ? Then just go back to last blood spot and try again. If he keeps refusing then there is no more blood within his radius. Also if the animal goes through even a little water 9 times out of 10 he will loose scent. Annoying when hunting swamps. I don't need him but I like to have company when hunting.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Took my level 22 out now. As long as there will be blood he does track. Question mark comes when no more blood. Then you must continue until he bleeds again and then you can have the dog track again. He is not super usable honestly if he would just continue tracking so I could totally get rid of slave of the track thing it would be great for the mind though. He shouldn´t loose track even if there is no blood there is still a scent you would believe. Going through water yes but not otherwise.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

I dont remember the exact levels and abilities of the scent hound, but i remember that from lv 1-9 is pretty useless, the from lvl 9-19 he start to behave as a tracking dog half capable, for level 28-30 he got all of his abilities unlocked and decently leveled, so is very capable of tracking, at least as capable as you can expect from him, over that level the difference and efficiency may improve, but not in a way that you really can notice, not like when going from lvl 10 to 24 imo.

The efficiency or lack of efficiency as tracking dog has been a long complain from the community, the simple thing is, the dog doesn't track nearly as good as we hope he could do it, but again, it a looong time issue, not really a bug, so is unlikely to be "fixed", but hopefully someday ihe scent hound may get revised and improved.

ImageImage

Return to “Kennel”