Retriever not always picking up birds shot over 100m

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
Brutus969
Scout

Retriever not always picking up birds shot over 100m

Post by Brutus969 »

Is this normal? I bought a retriever thinking that it would allow me to take long shots of waterfowl without the bother of collecting them. I'd collect all the ones near the blind and send her to get the rest. Only she doesn't seem to 'remember' where all of them are. I think just over half the time she remembers fine. Otherwise she acts like the remaining birds don't exist. Despite the fact she has occasionally successfully fetched birds from > 200m.

If I run far enough in the direction of where I knew the bird fell, eventually she will 'notice' the bird. Pretty irritating. Is there a better fix?

She's level 30 so Bird Retrieving skill is maxed. I don't know if maxing out Blind Retrieving or Mark Bird would improve things.
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

xOEDragonx

Re: Retriever not always picking up birds shot over 100m

Post by xOEDragonx »

I have a max level retriever. This has always been an issue for him for at least the last few years now. I've never really been bothered by it since it doesn't require going too far from the blind for the dog to be able to find those longshots. I would like to see it adjusted though along with many other more concerning dog related issues.
dylmax91
Scout

Post by dylmax91 »

Thanks for the feedback !!
I wanted to buy a dog, I'm going to wait again. ;)
Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

xOEDragonx wrote:I have a max level retriever.
How is the stamina at that level? How many ducks can he fetch before getting down to 100%? Or even getting to 175%.
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Brutus969 wrote:How is the stamina at that level? How many ducks can he fetch before getting down to 100%? Or even getting to 175%.
No idea. I don't pay attention. I often spend several hours at a time hosting multiplayer waterfowl hunts and have my dog retrieving almost all birds and I haven't tired him out on any given day yet. I guess we'll just say his stamina is good enough that I literally never have to look at it.
ShaneRoach
Spotter

Post by ShaneRoach »

It seems as if they have worked most of the kinks out of all the dogs. The only complaint left seems to be the scent hound is slow to train, but even at that it seems they have it where once they are on the trail of blood, if they lose it, you can just put them on the trail of the deer that once bled.

I have had a lot of fun with my pointer. Bugs to do with pathing and the abject lack of the ability of either player or dog to hop over even the slightest obstacle are the only real aggravations for me at this point.

I notice Hunting Sim II has nice dogs. Real disappointment COTW seems to have ditched them.

Kindly wish this level of hunting and tracking made its way to a legit survival game. Seems the entire industry conspires to split FPS games into a thousand different genres and make you buy what is basically the same game over and over and over and over and over and over and...

Anyhow, at least this one is free.
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

A survival game based on theHunter hunting/tracking would be awesome.

ShaneRoach, have you ever tried Unreal World survival game? Its old, and the graphics are non existant, but the core survival mode and hunting and crafting are solid.
ShaneRoach
Spotter

Post by ShaneRoach »

jttoo wrote:A survival game based on theHunter hunting/tracking would be awesome.

ShaneRoach, have you ever tried Unreal World survival game? Its old, and the graphics are non existant, but the core survival mode and hunting and crafting are solid.
Had never heard of it. Looked it up real quick. Roguelikes seem to have a depth born of necessity because, as you say... no graphics to speak of.

Seems like a discussion perhaps for a different thread or subforum. I excel at taking things off topic....
Cauliflower
Tracker

Post by Cauliflower »

She's getting old. Getting lazy. Might have to get another dog.
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

jttoo wrote:A survival game based on theHunter hunting/tracking would be awesome.
This reminds me of theHunter: Primal, theHunter's abandoned brother.

Basically, it is only 1 very large reserve, and instead of the typical "game animals" we have in the hunter, it is dinosaurs that want to eat your face (That would be a valid excuse for shooting critters with the most powerful guns you own :lol: )

It was a pretty decent game for its time, a decent storyline, you had to travel around different outposts to find ammo and different weapons, and I do not know how, but they managed to make the longbow in that Primal game even worse than it is in this game. (Sorry I seriously hate longbow.)

Shame the developers discontinued selling the game on steam, had some real potential I think.

Keep in mind, those raptors models, came out 6 years before our turkeys started looking like non-aliens :lol:

Return to “Kennel”