When to use the German Pointer

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
Brutus969
Scout

Re: When to use the German Pointer

Post by Brutus969 »

I just stop him from pointing the moment I know which direction the WT ptarmigans are in. Then I keep walking til I hear them.
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

Mashuu
Hunter

Post by Mashuu »

I have a similar question. Seems it is pretty useless. It has a mobile game like cool down too. So I tell him to hunt for rabbits but then it stops and has to cool down for a long while. never lasting more than a a few seconds.
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Mashuu wrote:I have a similar question. Seems it is pretty useless. It has a mobile game like cool down too. So I tell him to hunt for rabbits but then it stops and has to cool down for a long while. never lasting more than a a few seconds.
I'm not really sure what your question is. The cooldown is mostly there to prevent you from spamming the dog early on. Since there is a leveling system for dogs in place, that is one of the things they decided to add to it. I'm not certain what level it is but at some point around level 35ish the dog maxes out the cooldown skill and can be used to track every 30 seconds-- which is prettymuch constantly. Just work with your dog and as it levels up that nuisance will go away eventually.
ShaneRoach
Spotter

Post by ShaneRoach »

I've had the dog point a white tail ptarmigan or two, but broadly speaking the method there is find there little roost and lie down and wait for them to come back. The dog can help you find that spot from a distance, but once in close just lay it down and wait I think. I have a fairly similar strat for willow, though they do indeed tend to be easier to get a point on. Basically, I have the dog point Willows for xp, but broadly they seem to cme back and back till you more or less wipe them out, or (perhaps?) the flock migrates. I am not real sure how that works EXACTLY.

Rock Ptarmigan are probably ideal, but I need to get me a tent in that ONE LITTLE SPOT on the map.... mergh.

Pheasant are annoying in their general pointlessness gm$ wise. but all rabbits tend to be fun once I get my spotting up to where I can cheat and look for the outline. hehe

I only JUST got high enough level to even try on deer, but for things that tend to be very wary *cough >turkey<*, I think the only real use of the dog is to get close enough to where you need to start sneaking, then take the dog off and stalk as usual. I feel like the dog makes cross country tracking quicker and more fun though, assuming it does not go off on a tangent, which mine has done from time to time, even beginning to swim out into the ocean for no apparent reason.

I am no one's expert at this game. I just have really enjoyed the pointer and am relating my uses for it.
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

I find Pheasant very difficult to shoot. Granted, I'm a terrible shot, but I can easily shoot Ptar's and magpie, and haven't tried others. It seems like the pheasant jerk around and change direction a LOT, usually just before I pull the trigger.
ShaneRoach
Spotter

Post by ShaneRoach »

jttoo wrote:I find Pheasant very difficult to shoot. Granted, I'm a terrible shot, but I can easily shoot Ptar's and magpie, and haven't tried others. It seems like the pheasant jerk around and change direction a LOT, usually just before I pull the trigger.
That's odd. I found the ptar harder to hit just for being smaller I think? Plus there is an aspect of the pheasant that it always takes off flying the direction it is facing when it spooks. And really, I have not hunted them much at all, but seems like once they get going they tend to stay in that straight line for a long ways.....?

Think I have the exact opposite experience of you... how weird.

I don't have any real conception of how good a shot I am, but I seem to be getting better. hehe :D

P.S. Dog just pointed a Reindeer for me. The trick is to be sneaking. The dog sneaks as you sneak, the higher level the better. Your dog is then a sort of arrow the direction you need to be sneaking.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Used it successfully to hunt Puma today. Was doing travel mission 9 for timbergold trails.

I was mostly worried about managing to hit a wolf with a longbow Most hunts I have been able to spot one in the distance and get one that way. I lucked out and instantly encountered two packs of wolves. Managed to somehow hit one. Lost track of it as it was of course just a body shot. Then the tracks got to old while waiting to go after it but I just lucked out and find it by a fluke.
I am afraid to use my dog though particularly against wolves. Anyway mission went along decently. Last goal was spotting and harvesting a puma. I run stock configuration so I have wistle at f just beside d. So when I finally was able to call a puma in I accidentally hit F and spooked it. Still I would not spook anything else at that distance they have great ears. Managed to hit it on the run by a fluke shot but didn´t spot it. Had to go away but luckily I learned even if you overnight it counts as the same hunt.

Anyway my initial tactics was trying to crouch walk any puma track I found. But it never ever worked. It spooked long before I ever had a chance to spot it. Using sneaky 3d fall as for example the quiet doc monsignor don´t work on any other species then deer?

Second day I changed tactics and actually let my level 39 pointer dog work. He did a much better job then me tracking it. Still same problem with pumas spook before you are able to spot but I got way more chances and the dog do make me spot the puma while I really don´t. But it´s just insane because 8 first attempts it was just impossible to spot the puma despite being no more then 30 metres away due to vegetation.

But finally managed to spot a puma tail. Would never been able without the dog. Appear absolutely impossible to stalk pumas. Maybe in crouch is quiet enough but then the vegetation mean its even less likely you can spot anything. I often had height advantage but still the undulation made it impossible.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

He is indeed golden for puma. If you stick to the hilly Western side puma is the only thing he can track. Otherwise for bobcats, lynx etc it may as well be a deer 9x out of 10.
Deer or felines should be separated :)

Once he starts tracking and I get a direction I often calls him back to not give him a chance to spook the cat.

Always bring him around. Never cause problem. Just dont have him in search mode if you are afraid of spooking anything. Level 46 and follow me perfectly. He can even Point cats while rarely spooking. Believe its me in general when it happens.
herajika
Tracker

Post by herajika »

knott wrote:He is indeed golden for puma. If you stick to the hilly Western side puma is the only thing he can track. Otherwise for bobcats, lynx etc it may as well be a deer 9x out of 10.
Deer or felines should be separated :)

Once he starts tracking and I get a direction I often calls him back to not give him a chance to spook the cat.

Always bring him around. Never cause problem. Just dont have him in search mode if you are afraid of spooking anything. Level 46 and follow me perfectly. He can even Point cats while rarely spooking. Believe its me in general when it happens.
About that... You probably could stop worrying. Foxes, rabbits, Coyotes, bobcats and pumas are ignoring dog altogether(lynx probably too, but I haven't hunted it with dog yet). They could just walk right next to a dog and don't react at all. I hunted dozens if not hundreds of animals with a dog and not one of it was spooked by it. (There is exception for white tailed ptarmigan, but that's just a bug). I've seen many animals being right near the dog (including such spooky animals as bobcat and puma) and they had absolutely no reaction to it.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

I have seen it spook deer but yes puma it might actually be me that spooked them as I approach so you are probably right. So it´s fine to have them point at the puma for half an hour all the way back to your lure then :)

Return to “Kennel”