German Pointer - Bug or mecanic?

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
alssn
Tracker

German Pointer - Bug or mecanic?

Post by alssn »

Hello, when my dog find an animal and i climb in my tree stand, the animal get spook. I don't know if this is a bug or the game want this happening.

Image Image Image
xOEDragonx

Re: German Pointer - Bug or mecanic?

Post by xOEDragonx »

Which of your pointers is this occurring with? If it's your higher level one (Flukka), my guess would be when you're placing your treestand (which spooks everything in a 100m radius) you're spooking a non-target animal the dog didn't detect and it's fleeing towards your target animal, spooking it too. If it's your lower level one (Ze_Galinha), he's a low enough level that he can currently only detect animals out to 120m and only has a 70% chance of detecting them every 10 seconds (you can determine that from looking at his skills and the dog wiki page). It's possible he's not detecting them until they're within the 100m range of you, thus you spook the target animal when you place the stand.

When the dog detects a target animal, do you immediately call it off the trail or do you allow it to go to the animal while setting up your stand? I believe the pointer itself is capable of making some big animals nervous. With felines in particular I have to call the dog off if I want to stand any chance of being able to call a cat in. He always spooks then if he tries to follow them to the caller. But if I'm just walking and shooting, the pointer points it and it hangs around long enough for me to get a shot every time.
Mrmr123
Outfitter

Post by Mrmr123 »

Yes, i got the pointer recently and its not just the pointer issue, its Scent Hound issue too, i notice animal spook for no reason at all, i would be sitting on my treestand "pre-installed" one, and when i make the dog lay down even far away from me, calling animals in to my treestand is difficult, they just bolt, they dont do any detection animation like smelling or seeing you, they just bolt all of sudden, i reported this 3 years ago with the scent haunt and i see its still an issue...

Its just risky taking the dogs with you all the time, hope the new Devs will look into this...
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Mrmr123 wrote:Yes, i got the pointer recently and its not just the pointer issue, its Scent Hound issue too, i notice animal spook for no reason at all, i would be sitting on my treestand "pre-installed" one, and when i make the dog lay down even far away from me, calling animals in to my treestand is difficult, they just bolt, they dont do any detection animation like smelling or seeing you, they just bolt all of sudden, i reported this 3 years ago with the scent haunt and i see its still an issue...

Its just risky taking the dogs with you all the time, hope the new Devs will look into this...
Make sure you use the "stay" command and never the "lay down" command. When the scent hound "stays," it becomes invisible to practically every animal in the game. Animals will literally walk right over top of it every time.
Mrmr123
Outfitter

Post by Mrmr123 »

xOEDragonx wrote:
Mrmr123 wrote:Yes, i got the pointer recently and its not just the pointer issue, its Scent Hound issue too, i notice animal spook for no reason at all, i would be sitting on my treestand "pre-installed" one, and when i make the dog lay down even far away from me, calling animals in to my treestand is difficult, they just bolt, they dont do any detection animation like smelling or seeing you, they just bolt all of sudden, i reported this 3 years ago with the scent haunt and i see its still an issue...

Make sure you use the "stay" command and never the "lay down" command. When the scent hound "stays," it becomes invisible to practically every animal in the game. Animals will literally walk right over top of it every time.
Sorry i put our the wrong name, i am already using the stay command and even when he stays 60 meter out from my position, animals still spook for no reason. and this is my experience with elk and coyote.
alssn
Tracker

Post by alssn »

xOEDragonx wrote:Which of your pointers is this occurring with?.
It's Flukka(lvl 47) and my treestand is already in place, i wait for the dog until she find and point to the animal, so i climb in my treestand and the animal get spook. That happened multiple times.

Image Image Image
Reggy
Scout

Post by Reggy »

xOEDragonx wrote:

:arrow: OEDragon - I only use the Lay down command.
:arrow: Mrmr - Good luck hope the devs look into this. Maybe start a support ticket?

The scenthound has never spooked anything for me. I have had animals get 'stuck' on him and you can't shoot as the dog appears in the view. Watched as he tracked and walked past females. But I use laydown command and have had animals came right past him. (Headphones on backwards) I was on TTG yesterday and he was tracking an albino Elk and walked past a bear and a MD female. Both ignored him and I had an easy bow shot on the bear. So what you are experiencing is completely different than what I am. I don't remember what lvl he is but not maxed.
The fact the difference between our dogs is huge makes no sense. Once they fixed the bug so you can put them back on a non-blood track, I have not had an issue. It is odd to hear such differences.

The pointer I have but just don't use.
Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

I just want to add that this is still a problem and is very annoying. Makes treestand hunting with a pointer mostly futile. Even if the pointer is lying down far away, or pointing some other animal far away whilst I call in others, the animals near the treestand all spook, whereas they wouldn't if the pointer wasn't 'equipped'.

Yes I hope the devs look into it too. I love this game but the degree of sloppiness like this is so unprofessional.
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

ShaneRoach
Spotter

Post by ShaneRoach »

Reggy wrote: Once they fixed the bug so you can put them back on a non-blood track, I have not had an issue. It is odd to hear such differences.
Does this mean they track non wounded animals too? I certainly did not get that from anything I had read till now, but I am probably misunderstanding your point as all I have is this one low level pointer hunting rabbits right now. hehe

Still, from the get go I thought, scent hound is the houd for deer. Not sure why pointers hunt deer at high levels.
Reggy
Scout

Post by Reggy »

ShaneRoach wrote:
Reggy wrote: Once they fixed the bug so you can put them back on a non-blood track, I have not had an issue. It is odd to hear such differences.
Does this mean they track non wounded animals too? I certainly did not get that from anything I had read till now, but I am probably misunderstanding your point as all I have is this one low level pointer hunting rabbits right now. hehe

Still, from the get go I thought, scent hound is the houd for deer. Not sure why pointers hunt deer at high levels.
Once the scent hound gets a blood scent the first time (from a wounded animal), you can put it on another track of the same animal that is a non-blood track and it will try again.

Return to “Kennel”