Dog vests offering any camo and most effective way to train your dog?

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
Extort713
Tracker

Re: Dog vests offering any camo and most effective way to train your dog?

Post by Extort713 »

The blazing orange vest for dogs does not offer visual protection, but all the camo vests do, the better question is do the camo backpacks offer visual protection, their store pages do not mention it so probably not.
BearJohnson
Hunter

Post by BearJohnson »

All I know is... when you are in a treestand - if you command your dog to "Stay"...
He/she will NOT spook animals at all.

I may be a noob... but I still have fun!
Trigger time = FUN!

knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Yeah I am not much of a camper but having the dog under a tower has never caused any issue. If there is a sale I might get a pointer as well. I dont really need help tracking its mostly the easy tracking he saves time on the hard I have to do myself :p
Elrique64
Spotter

Post by Elrique64 »

I realize this thread is old, but thought I would put in a word or three.

I have been working on the last Turkey mission in the pack, "Too Many Numbers". Kill 4 toms with the .22lr pistol under 13.5m. I have a pair of treestands at the Golden Treestand area. A double on the Golden Tree, and a single across the road from it. I've had TERRIBLE luck on this mission whenever I've had a dog out, no matter where I had him in the STAY position. The birds get within about 15-17m and then spook. I had only gotten one of the required 4 in many hours trying to complete this mission.

Just now I started a session after reading this thread, and left all the dogs in the lodge. I just nailed numbers 2 and 3 for this mission in the same session, within 9 minutes RL time. Both toms walked under the tree I was in, rather than spooking at the ranges they typically have. The only difference seems to be that I had no dog. Can't prove this is the cause, but sure seems likely...
Our freedoms have been bought by the blood of our Veterans. Pay them back with love, kindness and support.

ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

Elrique64 wrote:I realize this thread is old, but thought I would put in a word or three.

I have been working on the last Turkey mission in the pack, "Too Many Numbers". Kill 4 toms with the .22lr pistol under 13.5m. I have a pair of treestands at the Golden Treestand area. A double on the Golden Tree, and a single across the road from it. I've had TERRIBLE luck on this mission whenever I've had a dog out, no matter where I had him in the STAY position. The birds get within about 15-17m and then spook. I had only gotten one of the required 4 in many hours trying to complete this mission.

Just now I started a session after reading this thread, and left all the dogs in the lodge. I just nailed numbers 2 and 3 for this mission in the same session, within 9 minutes RL time. Both toms walked under the tree I was in, rather than spooking at the ranges they typically have. The only difference seems to be that I had no dog. Can't prove this is the cause, but sure seems likely...
Turkey & Yotes dog tends to spook them when at stay, everything else walk over it.
herajika
Tracker

Post by herajika »

It seems that dog could alarm animals, which increase radius where you could spook them, but by itself it never spook them. I have my pointer with me all the time and I never seen that happen. As long as I'm far from animal, dog could be right next to it and not spook it. Bobcats, pumas, foxes, coyotes, ptarmigans, rabbits - I've seen all those animals being right near my dog many times. In fact only a week or two ago I've seen coyote bumping in my dog and moving it slightly aside.

Return to “Kennel”