Dog vests offering any camo and most effective way to train your dog?

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
knott
Outfitter

Dog vests offering any camo and most effective way to train your dog?

Post by knott »

Do the sneaky3d vests offering any camo? I hunt with the orange and animals dont seem to spook because of him when he sits still. So it dont appear necessary? He spooks as much as the player going prone?

I got him to level 20 and he has noticably improved but see max level is 50. That would take about 2 years or will he level faster now? I am skilled at body and intestine shots it comes natural to me which seem the most efficient way. The micro with treats seem awful but if it would count for every track on a successful tracking session it could be worth it and excellent roleplay. But I assume its just the single last successful track?
BearJohnson
Hunter

Re: Dog vests offering any camo and most effective way to train your dog?

Post by BearJohnson »

sit or stay is a must when in a treestand or get em inside when you are in a blind.
I have had my hound for a year - lvl 43... 44?
I gave her treats - lotsa treats.
Give commands as often as possible - when travelling long distances - tell him to sit or stay - he will catch up after a bit

BE careful - I cannot tell you how many times my dog has nudged me off cliffs...
I may be a noob... but I still have fun!
Trigger time = FUN!

knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

I checked the cost in store. Quite hefty but I saw I have 94 already for some reason? Did I get it when buying the dog? Will try using it after successful tracking commands. Can you treat two times for the same or will the game know you already treated the dog and not let me waste another treat for no gain?

Thinking of trying to create a script for my keyboard also where I cycle the commands?
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

knott wrote:I checked the cost in store. Quite hefty but I saw I have 94 already for some reason? Did I get it when buying the dog? Will try using it after successful tracking commands. Can you treat two times for the same or will the game know you already treated the dog and not let me waste another treat for no gain?
Don't remember if you get some treats with a new dog. I got mine in a photo contest.

Edit: There used to be dog bundles that included treats. Did you get your dogs in one of these big cardboard boxes? : :P

Regarding treating multiple times, I don't think it is going to work. Here is some official info,the best I found:
Alena in the Status Update from July 16, 2015 wrote:The dog will eat the treat and get a small XP bonus based on a percentage of the XP awarded for the successful command performed.
The “Give treat” option is only available:
* When you have treats in your backpack
* After a successful command has been performed by the dog (but not TOO long after)
* When you are close to your dog
http://news.thehunter.com/status-update-136/

Not sure if that helps.
Last edited by HooCairs on May 23rd, 2019, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

knott wrote:Thinking of trying to create a script for my keyboard also where I cycle the commands?
Dog menu comes up with V key by default. The other default keys are
Y: Sit
J: Go to player
K: Lay down
O: Go/come into blind
P: Stay
U: Use
L: Give treat
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

In my testing, your dogs will never spook an animal when they're in the Stay position as long as you are also prone. Unfortunately, you can't go prone in a treestand, so you'll definitely spook the more wary animals from a stand if you take a dog. This has been especially true for turkeys. During my testing, I was able to get bigger tom turkeys to look straight up at me in the stand (around 30m away) when I stood up, then crouch and make them look away. As the turkeys move closer, even a crouch from stand spooks them (with full turkey decoy spread). I am convinced that what is happening here is the dog is "copying your stance", even though he is physically in the "Stay" position.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

One way to overcome to what Hawkeye said is to left the dog in stay but very far, currently you can left your dog at 140mts tested(i think 150 is the limit) before he run to your position, so if you are going to a tower, treestand, etc or simply you want get yourself in a place to ambush and not having your dog near, just command it to remain prone in a place far away, i do that and i never have the problem of spooking animals in a tower.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

VonStratos wrote:One way to overcome to what Hawkeye said is to left the dog in stay but very far, currently you can left your dog at 140mts tested(i think 150 is the limit) before he run to your position, so if you are going to a tower, treestand, etc or simply you want get yourself in a place to ambush and not having your dog near, just command it to remain prone in a place far away, i do that and i never have the problem of spooking animals in a tower.
That doesn't make sense. The spook radius (whether the animal is spooked by you or your dog) is calculated on proximity to the player. This is easily tested by doing the following:

1) leave your dog 140m away from you in the Stay position.
2) go prone on the ground
3) call an animal toward you
4) when animal is close to 30-40 meters away, call your dog to you

When I have ran this test in the past, the animals spook immediately, as soon as the dog gets out of "stay", even though he is nearly 150m away.
Reaperis

Post by Reaperis »

I recall them saying in a devstream around the pointer dog update that the treats give around 30% extra exp based on the action they performed,
Which seems to line up with my experience levelling my pointer dog recently, without treats I got roughly 120 exp per rabbit pointed at whilst with treats I got around 160.

For visibility while I use the pointer and not the scent hound, It seems to not spook anything for me whilst in stay position and is completely invisible while it's found an animal to point at.
But as soon as it has no animals it's actively moving to/pointing at and is just in wander mode or following me then it spooks at roughly 10-15 meters and more if it runs.
My guess is the scent hound works the same way though I haven't used mine in a while, They made a change a while back that made retrievers not spook any animals while retrieving birds, and the pointer hound is invisible during pointing so my guess is the scent hounds invisible while using it's active skills too.

So for me the only times my dog actually spooks something is if its tracking an animal and I shoot at something with a bow which cancels it's pointing ability and makes it spook whatever I send it after or whatever see's it on it's way back to me.
Otherwise it's usually behind me and I will spook by moving a lot faster than the dog will.

Also if you really want to level the scent hound faster, I got mine from 1 to 23 within around 8ish hours of play or so by shooting Water Buffalo with the longbow when Piccabeen came out. (Bows/Crossbows keep targets bleeding whilst guns will eventually stop blood tracks most of the time)
And I think the longbow has the least damage of the bows so it will take the longest to die from it thus giving the most blood tracks and ofcourse shoot it in the intestine but you seem to know that part already.
It's very tedious to do though and the experience curve on dogs gets pretty bad in the later levels.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Well, i dont really left the dog too far when i gonna be prone while luring, this happens when i hunt in RFF, i left my dog some 20-30 mts, but since we both are prone animals just come, one situation were i left my dog very far is when i go to the feeder in LP middle tower, i have a tent so i spawn walk and left the dog over 100mts far of the tower, the tower is something like 35mts away to the feeder, so the dog can reach an actual distance of over 150 mts to the feeder, in the tower i just have the tower camo and i cant go prone, but animals doesn't spook even when walking under me, most recent example was during the last mule missions in LP. or turkeys in WH, i haven't made an extensive testing, but that is what i have seen when faced that situations.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."

Return to “Kennel”