Discords

Anything not associated with theHunter :)
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Discords

Post by OldMtnMan »

Are they just for know it all kids? It was my first discord (Way of the Hunter) and almost soured me on the game. I'll just stay on forums where the adults post. Cripes!
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Re: Discords

Post by OldMtnMan »

I knew this wouldn't get any responses.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Let me tell you why I feel this way. It was my first discord and I didn't really like the format. It's more chat than forum. I noticed the names they took and the way they were talking, I said to myself ..this is a bunch of kids. Even the mod. Then one of them said to me....I can't believe an 80 year old is on discord. That put the nail in the coffin and I deleted it right away.

Kidd.........this thread offers nothing of value. Please delete it.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Post by outrider »

i tried Discord once......nothing to draw me back in..
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I should have looked up what a discord is before joining. My bad.

I like forums better.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

If you know the meaning of the word Discord, it should have been obvious from the start.

From the Miriam Webster dictionary.
Synonyms for discord

conflict, disaccord, discordance, discordancy, disharmony, dissension (also dissention), dissent, dissidence, dissonance, disunion, disunity, division, friction, infighting, inharmony, schism, strife, variance, war, warfare.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

DanthemanBoone wrote:If you know the meaning of the word Discord, it should have been obvious from the start.

Synonyms for discord

conflict, disaccord, discordance, discordancy, disharmony, dissension (also dissention), dissent, dissidence, dissonance, disunion, disunity, division, friction, infighting, inharmony, schism, strife, variance, war, warfare.
:lol: Yeah, I'd say that sums it up. 8-) Respect,

BCkidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Post by outrider »

BCKidd wrote:
DanthemanBoone wrote:If you know the meaning of the word Discord, it should have been obvious from the start.

Synonyms for discord

:lol: Yeah, I'd say that sums it up. 8-) Respect,

BCkidd.

Precisely........ :D
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

Well, I think it all depends on how you use it and what you do with it. I've joined a few "servers", including theHunter:(Official) server. I tend to ignore most of the chatter in the "channels", but sometimes view things. I'll look at the "support-classic" to see if the question is something I can help with, and look at people's photos in the "classic-trophy-gallery".

However, the BEST use for Discord, in my opinion, is that people can have their OWN servers and invite friends to it, and it can be used with a microphone as a way to actually TALK AND LISTEN to others while in a multiplayer hunt! I find that so much easier and less distracting than the in-game text chat, plus you can talk before a game even starts to decide together where to hunt. If it wasn't for that, I may not bother with it at all... but that feature alone is why I'm happy to have, use and keep it. :)
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Like Splainin said. You were soured by it because you jumped in feet first and were taken aback by all the "discord" that a cluttered, chaotic channel full of dozens, hundreds, thousands of people talking at one time can create. I typically don't use discord at all for large groups like theHunter channel or whatever else. They're a confusing mess, messages get lost, I find it disorderly....

But if you use discord as a tool for talking to small groups of like-minded people, it's a very different experience. I regularly use it to talk to just my one friend or just my sister if we're playing a videogame together. And I use it occasionally to get a group of 4-6 friends together for a fun social event while gaming. Heck, sometimes we just get to talking and games don't even get played... or they're usually delayed XD

But trying to use it for a large scale group? No. It's a chaotic, confusing mess. And yes, the majority of people who use the public groups are the younger crowds. There's a lot of middle aged people who use it as well, but they're oftentimes more lurkers/readers than actual participants. To be honest, I don't know any people your age who use it, but I think that stems from the issue of older crowds not always being tech-savvy people. My parents are just a tad younger than you OldMtnMan, and trust me when I say they struggle to start a computer, let alone play games on it or attempt to talk to people on it. You are indeed a minority on such software, but don't take offense to that. Rather, be prideful that you're versatile enough to learn and use something so many people of your generation seem to scoff at without even trying.

Return to “General Off Topics”