Trackir 5

Anything not associated with theHunter :)
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Trackir 5

Post by OldMtnMan »

Does it work in Classic?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Grizdude
Trophy Hunter

Re: Trackir 5

Post by Grizdude »

It use to work. I'm not sure if it works anymore though.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Both lights are on on the camera. That shows it's working for that game. It's only supposed to work in freelook mode but I get nothing.

I found some old threads showing how to turn it on but I don't get the folders and files they showed in those threads. Something changed in Classic.

Trackir still shows the Classic as a game it supports. I know somewhere in the folders/files i have to change a 0 to a 1 but I can't find out where it is.

Has anybody got it working lately? It will make the game much more immersive if I don't have to look around with a mouse.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Hard to believe nobody uses Trackir to look around. You talk a lot about immersion and aren't bothered by looking around with a mouse?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

My TrackIR 4 works fine. I just don't use it as much as I used to. But since I have model 4 instead of 5 I guess this won't help.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

It shouldn't matter unless ED set the game up specifically for the Tr4.

Did it work for you with no file editing? Did you have to turn it on anywhere?

You didn't find it better than the mouse?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

OldMtnMan wrote:It shouldn't matter unless ED set the game up specifically for the Tr4.

Did it work for you with no file editing? Did you have to turn it on anywhere?

You didn't find it better than the mouse?
I made my own profile for theHunter, assigning keys to Enable, Center, and Precision and set sensitivity to movement and it worked well. I primarily got TrackIR for Jet Combat simulators where situational awareness is absolute. For hunting sims and FPS games, it's secondary as you really don't need to worry about attacks on your flanks. Need in order is Air Combat, Shooters, and hunting games last. To be honest, I cringe every time I take a shot in TH because I keep thinking, "I'm giving away my position" which is almost certain trouble in shooters hence the need for stealth but not so important in TH. So I put up with the mouse, but a good player with a mouse will beat a good player with an Xbox controller any day of the week. There's just much more dexterity with your wrist than with your thumb (my mouse #2 button is ALWAYS my "move forward" in TH and all First Person Shooters). So bottom line I do have a separate profile for TH but it's more like a FPS. It is definitely nice to walk on Auto Forward in TH and still be able to look left and right especially if your tracking skills are on the low side. Oh, I forgot, what does ED stand for? ED for me is Eagle Dynamics which is my realistic combat sims gamemaker. EW (Expansive Worlds) is theHunter's gamemaker. The manufacturer for my TrackIR 4 was "NaturalPoint Inc."
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I've ben into combat flight sims for over 20 years. That's why I have the Trackir 5. I thought it would be more immersive in Hunter Classic but I can't figure out how to get it working.

Sorry about the ED thing. I've been into DCS since 2004. I'm BuzzU there and active on the forum. ED was on my mind.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

OldMtnMan wrote:I've ben into combat flight sims for over 20 years. That's why I have the Trackir 5. I thought it would be more immersive in Hunter Classic but I can't figure out how to get it working.

Sorry about the ED thing. I've been into DCS since 2004. I'm BuzzU there and active on the forum. ED was on my mind.
WHAT? hey, then you know about the Apache( AH-64D) sim they are about ready to release in EA (Early Access)!!! Awesome!! Hey, if you get that, then we can do some duo sorties with those babies. We can switch on who wants 30mm duty? :D :D :D

I have the Original A-10C Warthog from ED(circa 2011) along with Blackshark, Hornet, AV-8B Harrier, and several maps. What a great sim maker BUT they are seriously understaffed. It's hard waiting for a sim that you paid for almost a half year ago for Early Access (still don't have it).

Anyway. With the T4/5, you can be walking forward while you look off to your left let's say. Then you decide to go optics and it gets funky or it snaps the Free Look into Aiming Mode and the result is not very conducive to an immersion atmosphere. BUT you still can proceed forward with auto-on and hold strafe (left, in our example) and this can indeed be a substitute for the free look tactic on that movement. Also, another minor annoyance is having to wear a baseball cap with the reflective tracking arms clipped onto the cap. But now I can't really use my headphones which is extremely important (multi-channel sound) in TH. So I'd say it's not that big a penalty with the realism factor if you play TH without the T4/5. It's different for everyone tho.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I use the pro clip it works way better than the hat clip. I attach mine to my headphones.

Yes, Ed is way behind. I bought the Hornet 3 1/2 years ago and it can't get out of EA. Pretty pathetic. I have the Viper too and who knows when that will get out of EA. I also bought the early A-10C and then upgraded to theA-10C II. It drives me crazy with all the buttons I have to remember on the HOTAS. I'm getting too old to tax my memory like that. Hunting sims are so much easier. ;)
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “General Off Topics”