Rifles | .308 Bolt Action Rifle

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
6%
1 - Very poor
12%
2 - Poor
18%
3 - Average
12%
4 - Good
9%
5 - Excellent
44%

Total votes: 34
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Re: Rifles | .308 Bolt Action Rifle

Post by XxStrong1xX »

This was the first rifle I ever bought in the game. I bought it before I rejoined the forums and didn't realize how weak the ammo was. I was so disappointed but still used it for a long time. Once I bought some other rifles like the .30R i quit using it. But now since the ammo chance I have went back to it and find it to be the rifle I expected it to be in the first place. Rated excellent! .308 in my opinion is the best all around "deer" caliber in the real world and in this game as well.

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

I bought a the hunter package with the .308 anschutz as the free edition rifle. Not being a hunter I had no clue I should go with the .300 but just took the better looking and faster reloading rifle. Back then moose was the big game and they are big and slow so even though it gets tiring having to pepper them it did work as ammo was free ;)

After the switch from subscription to free to play kindof I had a lot of gm$ and actually bought the new .308 as it just looked so sleek. But choosing the right weapon always kind of made me leave it in the wardrobe as there always seemed to be better ones available. Realizing there is new ammo this week I did take it out hunting black bears on my bait site. It was an absolute dream. Absolutely rock steady aim. Very solid penetration. Snappy sound to match the nimble appearance of it. Bears flying left to right but all time in the world to aim for an ethical shot. I thought it was due to my levelling of the old anschutz .308 but checked now and they don´t share skills! Level 3 and just about zero wobble craziness.

Gonna have to investigate the handgun though. I hope it hasn´t gotten nerfed now with it´s separate ammo.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

Agreed, it is a fantastic rifle. It looks great, sounds great, performs great, performs well long distance, feels like a real rifle. My focus is to level up my 308 and 74R so I can have some solid weapons to one day compete in long range comps. Man I’d really like to get the engraved version of 308!
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Yeah what friend do I have that I can fool to pay 5000 em$. If anyone here volunteers please call :p
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

A little off topic but I want to mention I hunted with the 308 anschutz today for the first time and wow love the sound of that rifle. Performance seems good so far. Not sure yet how it is long range yet but man it’s a thrill. Not the best looking gun in my opinion but one of the best sounding shots. I may have to use it more often and really see how it performs.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Took out the Anschutz today and compared a bit. Frustrating in practical use the anschutz wins on every level beside magazine reload. That take a longer time on the anschutz. It has better crosshairs. Better aim when reloading through crosshairs. Same weight so stability should not differ any if on the same level? The design make me want to go for the new .308 but I also like to try and be efficient :(
Then of course many more scopes. Sound was not identical not sure what I preferr here but both work.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

knott wrote:Took out the Anschutz today and compared a bit. Frustrating in practical use the anschutz wins on every level beside magazine reload. That take a longer time on the anschutz. It has better crosshairs. Better aim when reloading through crosshairs. Same weight so stability should not differ any if on the same level? The design make me want to go for the new .308 but I also like to try and be efficient :(
Then of course many more scopes. Sound was not identical not sure what I preferr here but both work.
The 308 Anschutz surprised me. My expectations weren't high for it as some of the other rifles have disappointed me. It was a rifle I picked up while on sale thinking I'll have it for certain missions. Then when I began to use it....holy crap! It smoked everything I shot. Even bears! Using it almost feels like using the 74R in that it performs well over long range and drops med-large game. I now wonder how it would perform on biggest game. As it stands, I have no problem using it on bear and moose even. Mind you, most of my shots with it are either heart/lung or spine. But then again that leads me to believe that it's delivering in accuracy and penetration with these large animals.

Of course I love the 308 bolt action rifle. But I really really am beginning to love the 308 Anschutz. Infact, I'm inclined to rank my Anschutz up there with my 74R (almost). Not quite matching the 74R but it's close! I can't drop bears by shooting them in the butt the way the 74R can. Also, since the 308 Anschutz is so good, I can't help but want to try out the 8x57 IS Anschütz and 9.3x62 Anschütz.

I've got a lot of hunting to do to level up a growing list of favorite weapons, and that's not just rifles.

So far among the rifles I own, the 308 bolt action, the 308 Anschutz, and the 74R rank as my top deer and med-game rifles. The last two excel even on large game. These are the rifles I can trust and use for most of my hunting with med-large game.

I've digressed, this comment really should be going in that thread about comparing rifles.
Tobi_1989

Post by Tobi_1989 »

knott wrote:Took out the Anschutz today and compared a bit. Frustrating in practical use the anschutz wins on every level beside magazine reload. That take a longer time on the anschutz. It has better crosshairs. Better aim when reloading through crosshairs. Same weight so stability should not differ any if on the same level? The design make me want to go for the new .308 but I also like to try and be efficient :(
Don't forget the Anschütz .308 is 100 em$/1700 gm$ cheaper and supports more scopes (in particular the 12x scope, as so far i couldn't think of any real advantage of the Aimpoint besides the missions, which yield mere 5000 gm$, but require 11900 gm$ worth of scopes).

Now, if this .308 would support the Eagle Mk. 1, that would make it truly stand out in comparison to the Anschütz.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Tobi_1989 wrote:
Don't forget the Anschütz .308 is 100 em$/1700 gm$ cheaper and supports more scopes (in particular the 12x scope, as so far i couldn't think of any real advantage of the Aimpoint besides the missions, which yield mere 5000 gm$, but require 11900 gm$ worth of scopes).

Now, if this .308 would support the Eagle Mk. 1, that would make it truly stand out in comparison to the Anschütz.
I did cover the more scopes. Aimpoint is kind of cool I have to say but certainly not necessary.

as for the 74r I was a bit annoyed by it´s bulletdrop when hunting goat at bushrangers so mostly used the .30R instead but it´s been great at picabeen bay for big game and you don´t need good hits on the rusas...

The .308 do fly really straight. Was hunting goat at bushrangers and didn´t compensate at 200 metre. What I am sure would be a leg shot with the 74R was a body/lung. No problem hitting things at 300 metres either without really compensating much.
Tobi_1989

Post by Tobi_1989 »

Oh, my bad, my sleep deprived brain somehow missed the last paragraph.

Still, adding the 12x and 5.5-22x scopes to the .308 would make it maybe q bit more worth buying over the Anschütz. Or, to be precise, along the Anschütz, as the Anschütz is required for several missions, which is another point to it when choosing between the two .308 rifles.

Return to “Store Item Reviews”