Handguns | .45 Long Colt Revolver

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
36%
1 - Very poor
38%
2 - Poor
9%
3 - Average
9%
4 - Good
4%
5 - Excellent
3%

Total votes: 161
BCKidd

Re: Handguns | .45 Long Colt Revolver

Post by BCKidd »

Likely EW is using the same load as they did in the 1800's, that is why so many folks survived being shot with the .45 LC. The load wasn't as powerful as t'days .45 round. I have managed one-shot kills to black bear, moose & elk with it- furthest distance tho' 30+m. The pistol definitely needs to be revisited by EW. It is weak, but so was the .45 LC of the 1800's. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
muldo
Outfitter

Post by muldo »

Please give us a shot shell for it as in COTW. It may get some use then.
Quadrigone

Post by Quadrigone »

Looks good, I don't really mind about the animations, but the huge issue about this weapon is the lack of permitted species, it only performs decently against reindeer and red deer, which serves no purpose because the .454 does far better against big game and also allows hunting bison and buffalos.
The easiest and best way to make this gun great would simply be to allow it for medium sized game.
Dubitabilus
Hunter

Post by Dubitabilus »

Rated: Very Poor

Pros
  • Looks Close Enough to Represent SAA Colt Pistol
  • Sound is Satisfying
Cons
  • Very Restrictive Permissions list
  • Short Practical Range
  • Completely Inaccurate Reloading Animations for the Design
Comments
I never thought I would find any item in theHunter that would garner a "Very Poor" rating from an overwhelming majority of the community.
Against my better judgement and the overall criticism of this handgun from other hunters before me, I decided to give this revolver a shot.

I did not see penetration results from the Archery Addictions Range for the .45LC so I did the test myself.
Moose
10m - Single Lung
20m - Single Lung
30m+ - Body

WT Deer
10m - Double Lung
20m - Double Lung
30m - Single Lung

From what I can tell, the major hindrance to this round, as stated by those before me, is the permission's list.
I can forgive the inaccurate animations and model, but the actual utility of this firearm is completely wasted on the larger game it is currently permitted for.

By no means would any sane and ethical (modern) hunter take even a small bear or hog with a .45LC unless it is a +P load.
Even then, a .45LC +P loading is similar to .41/.44 Rem Mag loads.

I highly suggest the permissions list reflects the .45 muzzleloader bullets (Coyote thru Reindeer) instead of trying to compete with the heavier .45-70 & .454 Casull.
I've only taken a small bull elk with it so far but just that single experience is enough to tell me this is only a <30m elk/moose handgun.
I was hoping this revolver got a "ninja update" that went un-noticed, but it seems just as bad as everyone else has claimed it to be.

Shot from 23m, this tiny bull Elk ran about 50m before expiring
Semper vigilans, Numquam dubitabilis - "Always Vigilant, Never Doubtful"
https://www.boone-crockett.org/minimum- ... n-big-game
Spoiler:

Return to “Store Item Reviews”