Rifles | .22 Air Rifle

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
14%
1 - Very poor
11%
2 - Poor
16%
3 - Average
22%
4 - Good
22%
5 - Excellent
15%

Total votes: 206
nachthexe
Hunter

.22 Air Rifle is too weak

Post by nachthexe »

Apparently the dev team of theHunter severly underestimates the .22 airrifle. This is actually the big caliber in airrifles. Watch Keith Warren take out piglets of wild hogs with one here:

Warning graphic vid, it is a hunting vid after all!
[video]http://youtu.be/peubz3mE5-4[/video]

As he states it is all about shot placement. The 10 shot magazine seems to be standart on multishot airrifles today, so it is realistic.

I agree that the .22 in game seems to be underpowered, any head or chest area shot on a rabbit should be insta-kill.
Last edited by nachthexe on February 18th, 2015, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Code: Select all
Lem
Scout

Re: Rifles | .22 Air Rifle

Post by Lem »

Eggenberg wrote:I voted average. I'm an avid air-rifle shooter IRL: I'm afraid the frighteningly high amount of wounded rabbits shooting with this gun seems to produce doesn't reflect the efficiency of air rifles as a small game control method. For pheasant it's a 1-shot killing machine but for rabbit? Nope.

Also, I don't see any other small game that this will be useful for in the near future which is a pity but there you go.
im surprised at you egg. You of all people surely now that even wit a FAC airrifle body shots on rabbits are 50/50 even with ha good shot.

also as an avid airgun shooter IRL its always headshots. leave lungs and heart for the powder burners.
ive found that prone outside a warren will produce good results in this game .Base of the ear behind the eye and they go down first time every time. just like IRL.

i agree its harder to use than a shotgun but i think its a decent representation of its real life counterpart, and excellent shot placement practice. So i rated it good.
killertut
Master Hunter

Post by killertut »

well, as long as i don't hit the ears, my neck and head shots on rabbits are instant deaths!

Feedback on my work as a moderator is always welcome!
Eggenberg
Trophy Hunter

Post by Eggenberg »

Lem wrote:
im surprised at you egg. You of all people surely now that even wit a FAC airrifle body shots on rabbits are 50/50 even with ha good shot.
TBH Lem I'm not sure where you read that I go for body shots on the in-game rabbits. I always shoot them - or try to shoot them - in same place I do IRL: behind the eye, below the ear but sometimes even with that shot bang-on they get up and run.

Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to warren camp (since the Euro's were introduced in-game) so I can't say for any certainty whether my aim's got better... or not :D

Post by Guest »

Rated excellent overall because it's fun!

Positive:

Those dismissing this as a "toy" are really missing out on some fun hunting and unique challenges… (Besides they're all toys, we're in a game) The quietness of the air rifle combined with real concerns for bullet drop create an interesting compromise. In fact, the air rifle now has me thinking why there are such big fans of the crossbow and I may splurge on it next .

So far I've only had 2 rabbits that I didn't kill with a single decent shot. Solid body or head hits will drop small game without problems and it's even fun to see a miss and watch the puff of dirt kick up right next to the critter... Sometimes if I'm far enough away they won't even spook! I love when I've been stalking rabbits and they stand on their hindquarters to look around… It presents a nice headshot opportunity and the animations are so well done, can't enjoy them as much if I'm only doing run and gun with a shotgun!

Extra target opportunities like rabbit or pheasant while waiting or stalking larger game really help smooth out the downtime between the action.

Neutral:

In medium to strong sunlight the nice red finish on the back iron sight gets washed out, but the front is really well done so it still balances out the sight picture.

The air gun really needs to be paired with a scope to get the most out of it – especially if you're concerned with keeping a high accuracy % or extending the effectiveness of its quiet shooting capability. If you buy it, be prepared for a possible "scope tax" shortly after.

Negatives

Pellets should've come in amounts of 30 like birdshot (or maybe even 50) because of the current limited role of the air rifle. EW missed a real opportunity here to extend some value to players and get additional sales. Having 30-50 pellets to a tin would present a better value to those who want to F2P and enjoy some cottontail. They could have splurged less than $5 to pick up a new unique weapon on the cheap and use their gm$ on ammo instead of the shotgun for stretching their budget or actually make it worth spending some em$ on ammo for once. I would think a gun sale and $1-2 a month ammo cost while creating a potential member (or keeping a previous one engaged who needed to watch their budget for awhile) would be better than nothing at all.

Limited species. The air rifle makes me really want other small game in theHunter so I threw my support in one of the new squirrel threads with some thoughts… Hope some others will join in and add support!
Pixel8

Post by Pixel8 »

That was me above... Thought i was still logged in!
james990
Outfitter

Post by james990 »

This gun goes well with a shotgun. if a rabbit is to far i use the air rifle if its close ill use my shotgun for European rabbits. I don't like it for pheasants as you need to be close to get them otherwise they fly off when I hit them at 20m+. its OK for cottontails if you don't want to spook anything but id rather a shotgun for cottontails since with my method of shooting them by running around and scaring them so I get a shot when they hide is more effective with a shotgun. I bring it for cottontails because usually burrows are spread out and sometimes out of range for shotguns
Lem
Scout

Post by Lem »

Eggenberg wrote:
Lem wrote:
TBH Lem I'm not sure where you read that I go for body shots on the in-game rabbits. I always shoot them - or try to shoot them - in same place I do IRL: behind the eye, below the ear but sometimes even with that shot bang-on they get up and run.

Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to warren camp (since the Euro's were introduced in-game) so I can't say for any certainty whether my aim's got better... or not :D

yeah your right mate, my hands are up. you didn't i just assumed. sorry
Zeral1
Scout

Post by Zeral1 »

Since Euro rabbits got added I use this gun alot more, find some holes in the ground, set up a treestand/tripod/groundblind and wait for them to come out, boom headshot! :D
alkinach

Re: .22 Air Rifle is too weak

Post by alkinach »

nachthexe wrote:...any head or chest area shot on a rabbit should be insta-kill.
I agree.

I use this gun a LOT, because I like to hunt rabbits. And I like to sneak behind it and place a head shot at 40~50m.

And, if you shoot less than 20m it is instant kill at any part of body.

I like this gun.

Return to “Store Item Reviews”