Tips for bow hunting banteng?

Discuss missions, share walkthroughs and tips, report discrepancies in descriptions.
Mattb85
Spotter

Tips for bow hunting banteng?

Post by Mattb85 »

I'm stuck on "Restoring peace and order". I just can't seem to get inside of 75m on a banteng. I crouch walk, use scent eliminator, keep the wind in my face, I have the full camo clothing set, and I use cover. They always spot me once I get under 75m.

Any tips for getting close to these animals?
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Tips for bow hunting banteng?

Post by HooCairs »

75m is a long distance. I use the tropical forest camo and can within 20m of a cow if there are trees. And I mean cows. Make sure to go after females. Bulls are extremly hard to get close.

One way is to fast travel through the tunnel. Place a tent in the north, start there and travel south. Often the bantengs are right there. Have your bow ready to shoot.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Mattb85
Spotter

Post by Mattb85 »

This mission is helping me deepen my hatred for bows. I was finally able to sneak up on one, only to fail to kill it quickly.
Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

Lazy way is to setup a treestand near where they tend to pass, e.g. on the river a few 100m away from the start of the swamps, and just wait.

If you want to do it 'properly', it's quite infuriating tbh. Banteng are broken imo
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

Mattb85
Spotter

Post by Mattb85 »

Glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with this. I've given up for the moment, using bows makes me want to uninstall.
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

This is My setup for getting close to Bantang. Image
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)
Mattb85
Spotter

Post by Mattb85 »

mel_o_mel wrote:This is My setup for getting close to Bantang.
thanks! do you have the coordinates?
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

Mattb85 wrote:
mel_o_mel wrote:This is My setup for getting close to Bantang.
thanks! do you have the coordinates?
My stand is at X: 5416 Y:8236. Of course, when I went there to get the coordinates I only saw one Bantang and the closest he got was about 40 meters away. So there's that.

The reason I put it there was because of my setup across the river. I usually spawn in over there at 7am and sit and watch everything that comes down to drink. You can see every species at that spot, but they all don't always show up every time. Bantang are the most consistent though, and I've taken some really nice bulls around that little pond. You could probably have fairly consistent results at several of the river the crossings from that spot upstream until you get up near the lodge though.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)
Jimmy Rustle
Spotter

Post by Jimmy Rustle »

Reviving a thread from the grave, but has Banteng spookiness been downgraded sometime recently? My history with them is they spook at anything (rangefinding the animal stationery in a tropical wildfowl hide 150m away) , and if you really have to approach close do lots of crawling. I got through the Banteng mission tree that way.

I've been doing the Piccabeen Bay travel missions and noticed that on a crouch walk I didn't spook a group of 5 females near Bunyip Lair. I took out one with the reverse draw crossbow expecting all the others to run, and they didn't and were still only 20-40m away. I managed to pick the rest off with the Heavy Recurve. I did nothing special, wearing the 3d tropical outfit, other than English boots and B&C face covering, both of which should have zero effect. I wear no scent eliminator but kept them upwind South to SE of me. I didn't move much once I spotted them, just kept at a crouch, with minimal to no movement, rangefinding alot until I could take a shot with confidence of getting a drop. Taking advantage of my new found skill (lol) I've been plodding around that area of Piccabeen dropping a few. The males are still reasonably spooky, but little more than a higher value Whitetail or Mule buck, but the females seem docile in comparison, which I've not encountered at all before. They weren't distracted by feeding either. Only one I've had since was munching away obliviously when I approached it. All the others have been meandering around like they do.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I imagining things?
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

I have found the easiest way to get Banteng and Water buffs is to set up towers or tree stands at the crossing points along the river above the railway bridge. Then just pop them off as they cross .
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.

Return to “Missions”