Brown Bear Mission 10: Tent + Other Weapon = Multi-Kill Loophole

Discuss missions, share walkthroughs and tips, report discrepancies in descriptions.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Brown Bear Mission 10: Tent + Other Weapon = Multi-Kill Loophole

Post by JimboCrow »

The final Brown Bear Mission, "We Woke Up The Mama," has a loophole because it requires a specific weapon, and because a tent can be placed right at the coordinates where she will be waiting.

The weapon required is the .308 "Rival" Handgun, but if you use any other ethical weapon you will not complete the mission... but you will make a quick harvest. In addition, if you place a tent right there at the graveyard where she spawns, you can start your expedition there and can kill her over and over again as long as you don't use the "Rival." Use a different weapon, collect the harvest, and start a new expedition, over... and over... and over... and over... etc... you get the point.

I believe that starting at a tent (or arriving via FT) should be like starting at a lodge: there should be no animals allowed to spawn within 150 or 200 meters; or it should be like firing a shot and nearby animals should scatter. This particular loophole, which allows a huge number of brown bear kills per hour (far better than baiting could ever do) only illustrates my point, but it shouldn't even exist, and it needs to be closed.

PLEASE EW, this needs to be fixed already. Tents should be like lodges, that's all that needs to change. FYI, this is not the only mission where the final Single Player mission can be used to harvest animals repeatedly. i.e. Coyote Mission 10 - Take Down (just kill a female first.) It's way overdue that something was done about the tent/spawn/instakill problem. It's time to stop ignoring it.

In the spoilers below are two snips from one player's profile (a month apart) illustrating it is possible to kill "Mama" endlessly at 20 to 30 kills per hour. (The third spoiler is the map of one kill, but they are all the same.) Kudos to the player for gaming the game, because obviously it's not his responsibility to protect the game from manipulation, it's EW's.

(Merry Christmas folks. Tomorrow I have been on the forum for 10 years. ;))

Nov 24
Spoiler:
Dec 24
Spoiler:
Mama Map
Spoiler:
ogruls
Outfitter

Re: Brown Bear Mission 10: Tent + Other Weapon = Multi-Kill Loophole

Post by ogruls »

They can do the same with last Bison, Polar Bear, Water Buffalo, Sambar missions, Bangteng if they take two shots. Fifth cottontail mission will spawn pack of yotes. Am not to bothered about it unless used to win comps, only players I see doing it at other times are those in top 20 or so wanting to fast advance their hunter score. Why try and penalise tent users again? Pretty sure could locate a tent 150m from last brown bear mission spawn and drop her with a rifle, only being marginally slower than tent beside spawn point. Easier just to remove weapon requirements so any kill on these last missions ends the mission if you want to stop the missions being used for animal farming. Anyway why change it and deprive other hunters of what some in the top 20 seem to have used, personally am not interested in hunter score advancement but some players are, if that's what they enjoy in the game let them, live and let live I say.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

ogruls wrote:They can do the same with last Bison, Polar Bear, Water Buffalo, Sambar missions, Bangteng if they take two shots. Fifth cottontail mission will spawn pack of yotes. Am not to bothered about it unless used to win comps, only players I see doing it at other times are those in top 20 or so wanting to fast advance their hunter score. Why change it and deprive other hunters of what some in the top 20 seem to have used? Live and let live I say.
I don't think it has anything to do with the players who do this, they are playing the game the way it was created. It's definitely something that should have been fixed when the tents were added, or at least as soon as they realized what they were being used for. I'm not sure why EW resisted exactly, because there were plenty of complaints from some very prominent voices against the way they were implemented. Nothing changes if you don't say something.

However, it's like you say, new players shouldn't be deprived of the advantages others have had for years. Maybe EW could put everyone's score back to zero on January 1st, 2022 and we can all start over again. I'm good with that... as long as they make tents the same as lodges, especially after FT. Hunterscore is not all there is to this game: it was once, originally, a truly ethical hunting game, before EW bought it; but everything changed when Pim Holve took over as CEO. Arguably he saved the game from a much earlier demise :D, but he also ruined the ethos :evil:. I hate FT to a tent with a passion, and I know I don't have to use it, but I'm too lazy to quit using it. But If I didn't have it???... I wouldn't miss it one bit, not one bit. It's kind of like driving on commuter highways, someone's always trying to pass or cut in front of you, but if we all had identical self-driving vehicles... no more accidents maybe?... Maybe if we all played the same game with the same equipment, and couldn't buy our way to the top?... Merry Xmas ogruls. Very best to you and yours in the New Year.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

While the game is behaving in the way it was designed, I believe this should be considered a bug. Moving to Bugs forum...

That being said, your possible solutions to the problem are not without fault.

Starting at a tent has the same effect as starting at a lodge. Animals should not spawn within 150m. And I don't believe I've ever seen an animal (or tracks) that close so it may actually, effectively, be a larger distance.

The folly here, is that the mission animal WILL spawn within that range. A simple fix might be to include mission animals in that rule & spawn them further from the tent. Perhaps their tracks could start at the predetermined spawn point, and the hunter would have to track them.

The issue of fast travel is a separate, but related, problem. I agree that FT should spook animals within a distance from the tent. Or, the FT timer should be running when you start a game, and you can't FT for 30 minutes into the game. ??
JimboCrow wrote:However, it's like you say, new players shouldn't be deprived of the advantages others have had for years.
If the advantage is from an exploit, new players & old alike should both be deprived of using the advantage if possible.
Maybe EW could put everyone's score back to zero on January 1st, 2022 and we can all start over again.
This is a big, giant, hard "NO!" The game is not configured to be restarted. Many (ethical) players that have been playing for a long time would lose the things they earned. I've been playing for 9 years and still have not maxed out my skills. My Hunter Score is not really very high for that amount of time, but I'd be pretty ticked off if they took it away.

There is also this disclaimer: "We have one simple rule for our events: No exploitation of existing game mechanics to gain an advantage. All winners' hunts will be checked by EW staff prior to prizes being rewarded, and the decision will be final."
That rule applies to all gameplay, not just events. Until issues of exploitation are fixed, if that rule was enforced across the board, all advantages from exploiting would become moot. ;)

I would recommend reporting to support users who are obviously exploiting.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

Tod1d wrote:
That rule applies to all gameplay, not just events.
In your opinion................
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Hey Tod!! Merry Christmas to you and yours, and a very Happy New Year as well!!

Thank you for your reply, but I wasn't reporting it as a bug per se, so I hope this thread can be removed from the bug section. I'd rather make a real bug report, as that's not what I meant this post to be about. I do see what you're saying though, and I guess it is a design flaw "bug." I was just trying to bring attention to how tents have ruined the game IMO. But if it's a bug with the mission, then they just need to do as ogruls said and remove the weapon criterion. But then what about all the other final 'Boss' missions that can be "exploited" with a tent? ;)

Speaking of not restarting the game, you know what would be really funny? On April Fool's Day, if EW put up a fake launcher website so that everyone found their Hunterscore had been returned to zero?... now THAT would be a red letter day for you moderators eh???!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love this beautiful game!! MX&HNY Tod!! Jimbo :)
_dfad_
Scout

Post by _dfad_ »

I believe this is a harmless issue. Yes, you can kill many bears, raise your bear spotting skills, but this would not give you any benefit in competitions because female bears are low scored, not even saying about the limits on attempts. If someone wants to spend hours just killing the same bear again and again... Poor player, who only deserves a pity.
In my opinion, the real issue here is that other variations of .308 pistol do not trigger the mission, and you have to buy 'Rival' even if you had another one already.

"5 FPS at Picabeen Bay" club ;)
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

What do you think the reason is that this player is farming this bear time after time, for hours? Simply for hunter score, or is he farming GM's from this mission?

Either way, I can't think of a more boring activity. If you want to farm hunter score, simply hunt Magpie Geese, you'll rack up the points very quick with them. If it is for GM's, it is an extremely inefficient way to farm GMs. I'm puzzled by this behavior....
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

ogruls wrote:
Tod1d wrote:
Yes, and in EW's... (https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10)
22. You will not exploit any bug in theHunter.com and you will not communicate the existence of any such exploitable bug (bugs that grant the user unnatural or unintended benefits) either directly or through public posting, to any other user of theHunter.com . Bugs should be promptly submitted to the Customer Support Team.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

Tod1d wrote:
ogruls wrote:
Tod1d wrote:
Yes, and in EW's... (https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10)
22. You will not exploit any bug in theHunter.com and you will not communicate the existence of any such exploitable bug (bugs that grant the user unnatural or unintended benefits) either directly or through public posting, to any other user of theHunter.com . Bugs should be promptly submitted to the Customer Support Team.
Depends if you view the animal correctly spawning and correctly registering mission completion when killed correctly as a bug, game mechanic yes, bug no is how I view it. You previously stated "While the game is behaving in the way it was designed, I believe this should be considered a bug." Hence my in your opinion comment.
If folk want to do this to fast level a weapon, up to them how they play the game, if they want to do it to fast track their hunter score, up to them how they play the game. As previously stated am only bothered if it's used for grinding competitions where it is exploiting an existing game mechanics. Couldn't think if anything more boring to do in the game myself but to each their own hence am laissez-faire about it.

Return to “Missions”