Southwestern United States Map

Mason-_525

Southwestern United States Map

Post by Mason-_525 »

Hello everyone! This is my first post on TheHunter forums, as I’ve only started playing theHunter Classic recently (have been playing COTW for a while but Classic is just more fun imo). Anyways, Classic has not received a new reserve in 4 years, and so if another one was to ever be added I think it should be inspired by the Southwestern United States. This would provide an opportunity to add some new animal species to the game (as well as being back some old to a new reserve), and provide hunters with a challenging new environment.

What I had in mind was a reserve based off of New Mexico/Arizona, and maybe even elements of Mexico for inspiration. It would consist of two large areas: one more of a true desert, with cacti and glistening canyons. The other would consist of sagebrush plains surrounded by mountains, with sparse tree cover and small, winding rivers cutting between the landscape.

The reserve would consist of these animal species:
- Rocky Mountain Elk (returning species)
- Mule Deer (returning species)
- Pronghorn (new species)
- Puma (returning species)
- Aoudad (new species)
- Javelina (new species)
- Coyote (returning species)
- Gambel’s Quail (new species)

I think this roster provides a nice blend between new and old. The long anticipated Pronghorn would finally be added, as well as the Aoudad (also known as the Barbary Sheep), the Javelina, and Gambel’s Quail. It would also provide another hunting location for Rocky Mountain Elk and Puma, which currently are both exclusive to Timbergold Trails.

I think it would be a good idea to split up the animals between the 2 previously mentioned areas of the map. For the rest of the post I will be referring to these areas as the “desert area” and “sagebrush area”, respectively. There will be one lodge in each area. For the desert area, This is where the Pronghorn, Aoudad, Javelina, and Coyote would be found. In the sagebrush area, this is where Rocky Mountain Elk, Mule Deer, Puma, and Gambel’s Quail could be found. Obviously there would be some overlap, but this is just a general outline. 3/4 new animals would be found in the desert area, which would give the same dizziness effect that Bushrangers Run and Piccabeen Bay give if the hunter was not properly prepared. The sagebrush area would not give off this effect, but only has 1/4 new animals. Each of these 2 areas would be about the same in size.

Generally the cap at animals is about a max of 8 different species in a reserve (there is yet to be one with 9). I took this into account while creating the animal roster, but if there could be more here are some other suggestions (either as extensions to the roster or replacements):
- Bighorn Sheep (hopefully added to full roster, but I could see it replacing the Aoudad)
- Black-Tailed Jackrabbit (could replace Coyote)
- Pheasants (could replace the Quails)

This is my first time doing something like this, so let me know if you like it/have your own suggestions to improve it, and I’ll probably do some more of these in the future!
BCKidd

Re: Southwestern United States Map

Post by BCKidd »

I think it would fun to hunt Pronghorn, as well as the mean and cocky tiny hog, and a new hill climbing sheep, yep I'd like that. ;) Peace,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

Not to be negative but pronghorn are an easy kill unless you use a bow. They just stand out in the open most of the day waiting to be shot. They're tough to sneak up on, so use a bow for a challenge. Taking long shots with a gun is just target practice.
Pete

Long live Hunter Classic.

Hunting elk with round lead balls. Perfect!

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
Mason-_525

Post by Mason-_525 »

I was thinking about a solution to this CaplockHunter, and I’m thinking that the solution would be to make the desert terrain very rugged (obviously there will be canyons, but river beds, plateaus, etc). It will be difficult to hunt pronghorn if the environment is more than just flat, but if it’s flat then they are basically sitting ducks. Something else that could be done is to make Pronghorn very skittish.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

Their best sense is their eyesight. It's like looking through 8x binos for them compared to us. Tough to beat on flat terrain. So terrain that can hide us would help a lot.

In Colorado our huge meadows would have timber areas on the edges. The pronghorn would go into them and just stand there moving around a little. That's when i'd sneak in on them with a muzzleloader. Bow hunters would too. Rifle hunters would just take long shots in the meadows.

I would sneak up on them in the meadows with my muzzy but i'd have to crawl all the way and it would rub me raw and tear up my clothes. I stopped that and just got them in the timber.
Pete

Long live Hunter Classic.

Hunting elk with round lead balls. Perfect!

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
Lovebug

Post by Lovebug »

Absolutely love it. I live in northern Arizona and live in an area described as you say. To the south is desert. Where I live is plateaus and Arroyo's and gullys. All around me are higher areas going into junipers and scrub pines and gambles oaks then into pine trees and large gambles oaks even up to spruce and aspen and eventually alpine areas. All within a hours drive of my central location. I'd love to see it in classic. And not a copy over of randlcho del arroyo. But it's own reserve.

Return to “Environment & Hunting Area Suggestions”