Piccabeen Bay Reserve .

DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Piccabeen Bay Reserve .

Post by DYEUZ »

When PB came out , i did a quick review, shared my quick thoughts on it . It was mostly positive , at that time .
Now that i've hunted it more and experienced many situations ,here are my thoughts .
They are strictly based on my gameplay experiences over last couple weeks that includes now , many hunts .

- New species : These new species look really good .

- Nice reserve. All in all , this is a great looking reserve . Good size . Lots of areas for equipment .

- Very immersive for me . Makes me need to be more careful , more aware of my surroundings . Surrounding sounds are good also.

- Dehydration thing : I did not mind at first that thing with the heat and all, but since they've tweaked it , honestly , i don't need the bottle no more because , even if i run a lot and have only the Crocodile Dundee outfit , i never see the effect no more . 2-3-4 hours real time and do not see any effect what so ever . Think they might have tweaked it too much .

- Feral Hogs : They seem out of place . Like they don't belong there . I for one , do not hunt them at all in PB . The fact that they are bugged also for now , doesn't help .
For those that didn't know yet , the bug is on the attacking hogs , which we can't hear . The Cassowary would be a great choice imo vs. the Feral Hogs .

- Weather : The rain at first did not bother me that much . But all that annoyance of the constant ''on and off '' raining came back real quick . for me , aprrox 94% of my hunts are with that ridiculous rain. The thunder and lightning doesn't bother my as much . If it makes some players happy , good for them . They tell us not to continue playing golf when there is a thunderstorm , but hunting with a rifle and ammo on us , seems to be safe . I know of lots of people that don't like the rain and even quit immediately when they see it and still , they put the same weather system in a new reserve .

- Roots of some trees : Those big roots look like they are made of concrete . They don't look good at all . We can even get stuck on them , in between them . Saw lots of animals getting stuck all over as well . Not good .

- Sambar Deer : They seem way to tough . Like they are made of the same concrete as the roots , lol. We can get a WB to go down with one shot from a decent , respectable far distance , but the Sambar needs to be quite close , otherwise , he will jump back up and flee . Then , if not h/l shot , either you will track it a long time and maybe will need a second shot on it .

- Water Buffalo : Are way to easy to hunt . The '' attack behavior '' similar to the Bison's attack , should be modify . The way it is right now : Buffalo turns his head and looks at you for a while . He turns his body now and prepares his attack . Mid way he stops . Then the final meters and hits you . This behavior gives way to much time to the hunter to react and kill it . I would eliminate the stoppage . He would turn his head and look at you , but for a second or two at the most and then , in one sequence , he would run to you . Either you be more careful and aware of their presence near you or you stay away .

- Sambar Deer caller : No SD caller makes it tougher , not impossible , but tougher to hunt them . The fact that they are like tanks and skittish , makes for tougher approaches for sure .
I don't think that having a caller for them would ruined it . Maybe make them tougher to get them to come to the call. No caller for the bovines is understandable though .

- Lagging : I have tried many different settings and i get some big lag in PB. If it rains , which it does all the time for me , and i have lots of tracks around also, my avatar walking upright has the speed of crouch and even slower at times . If i go crouch , takes forever to go anywhere , almost stopped . Then , in other areas of the map , all is good and normal . Really not fun .
I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 card . Not the best you'll say , but never had any problems in any other reserves and / or in any other games .
This lagging could be only on my side and am aware of that .

So, from my original quick thoughts , this reserve as dropped sadly ,couple positive points .
Your thoughts are welcome .
tyvm

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

gas56
Outfitter

Re: Piccabeen Bay Reserve .

Post by gas56 »

DYEUZ wrote:
When PB came out , i did a quick review, shared my quick thoughts on it . It was mostly positive , at that time .
Now that i've hunted it more and experienced many situations ,here are my thoughts .
They are strictly based on my gameplay experiences over last couple weeks that includes now , many hunts .

- New species : These new species look really good .

- Nice reserve. All in all , this is a great looking reserve . Good size . Lots of areas for equipment .

- Very immersive for me . Makes me need to be more careful , more aware of my surroundings . Surrounding sounds are good also.

- Dehydration thing : I did not mind at first that thing with the heat and all, but since they've tweaked it , honestly , i don't need the bottle no more because , even if i run a lot and have only the Crocodile Dundee outfit , i never see the effect no more . 2-3-4 hours real time and do not see any effect what so ever . Think they might have tweaked it too much .

GAS... I have the problem using clothes supposedly good for heat with Dehydration and I run a lot also,.. maybe even more than you, but it's the only way I can check the map really good to learn where the hotspots are.
the bottle of 3 drinks is never enough for me in a 2 hour hunt, and I have expired a lot of times. It really limits my hunting style for the game.

- Feral Hogs : They seem out of place . Like they don't belong there . I for one , do not hunt them at all in PB . The fact that they are bugged also for now , doesn't help .
For those that didn't know yet , the bug is on the attacking hogs , which we can't hear . The Cassowary would be a great choice imo vs. the Feral Hogs .

GAS... I myself wouldn't want a Cassowary, but a Croc especially with all the waterways,.. would be a nice addition or maybe a Dingo IMO. (even if not allowed to hunt IRL)

- Weather : The rain at first did not bother me that much . But all that annoyance of the constant ''on and off '' raining came back real quick . for me , aprrox 94% of my hunts are with that ridiculous rain. The thunder and lightning doesn't bother my as much . If it makes some players happy , good for them . They tell us not to continue playing golf when there is a thunderstorm , but hunting with a rifle and ammo on us , seems to be safe . I know of lots of people that don't like the rain and even quit immediately when they see it and still , they put the same weather system in a new reserve .

GAS...The weather doesn't bother me in this reserve much, as I have been IRL during rainy seasons in places like this and it seems normal to me. BTW though, this is the only reserve it doesn't bother me

- Roots of some trees : Those big roots look like they are made of concrete . They don't look good at all . We can even get stuck on them , in between them . Saw lots of animals getting stuck all over as well . Not good .

Gas... I like the big trees with their roots,.. and they look like they really belong there, just like IRL.

- Sambar Deer : They seem way to tough . Like they are made of the same concrete as the roots , lol. We can get a WB to go down with one shot from a decent , respectable far distance , but the Sambar needs to be quite close , otherwise , he will jump back up and flee . Then , if not h/l shot , either you will track it a long time and maybe will need a second shot on it .

Gas........ I have finally come to the conclusion to use the .300 mag consistently and that took care of the tank problem for me after using a lot of the guns allowed for it and doing as you are describing.... without buying any newer rifle so far.

- Water Buffalo : Are way to easy to hunt . The '' attack behavior '' similar to the Bison's attack , should be modify . The way it is right now : Buffalo turns his head and looks at you for a while . He turns his body now and prepares his attack . Mid way he stops . Then the final meters and hits you . This behavior gives way to much time to the hunter to react and kill it . I would eliminate the stoppage . He would turn his head and look at you , but for a second or two at the most and then , in one sequence , he would run to you . Either you be more careful and aware of their presence near you or you stay away .

Gas.... Really agree with you, 1 complete move without stopping (pivot as it charges toward you, using it's head & neck enough to turn them to gore you with 1 horn)

- Sambar Deer caller : No SD caller makes it tougher , not impossible , but tougher to hunt them . The fact that they are like tanks and skittish , makes for tougher approaches for sure .
I don't think that having a caller for them would ruined it . Maybe make them tougher to get them to come to the call. No caller for the bovines is understandable though .

Gas... I don't think it would hurt anything either!

- Lagging : I have tried many different settings and i get some big lag in PB. If it rains , which it does all the time for me , and i have lots of tracks around also, my avatar walking upright has the speed of crouch and even slower at times . If i go crouch , takes forever to go anywhere , almost stopped . Then , in other areas of the map , all is good and normal . Really not fun .

I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 card . Not the best you'll say , but never had any problems in any other reserves and / or in any other games .
This lagging could be only on my side and am aware of that .

Gas... I use a Nvidia Geforce GTX 680, and AMD 8120 Eight-Core Processor 3.10 GHz, 16 GB RAM which runs the game very good yet,.. even though I don't have the fastest IS anymore.

So, from my original quick thoughts , this reserve as dropped sadly ,couple positive points .
Your thoughts are welcome .
tyvm

GAS... I was not really impressed by this reserve from the beginning and the features they put into it as the other reserves in the recent past. The viewing terrain, running water, & vegetation, and new animation on animals are very good though IMO and I like the way they've done that, even though some machines that aren't adequate enough anymore may suffer with performance on a better graphics map like Tgt & PB.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

As far as I know, feral hogs bug was repaired prior to dev's gone for vacations. I believe I haven't been attacked yet by any on PB. So maybe there is still problem with attack call, but aside of this, they are "vocal" for sure.

I like dehydration effect. I agree it might have been tweaked even too much with the patch. I use outback clothes too, and I also don't have to drink at all - aside of very, very long hunts.

Weather dosn't bother me really.

Sambar - yes, it is too tanky. However I reffer only to the fact, that we do not recive penetration we should - not only compared to RL, but compared to other in-game animals too. The fact I can't drop-on-spot them I find actualy as something positive - but this effect should be achieved in different way. And I think this is good there is no caller, but I understand that for others this might be a drawback.

Water buffalo - I think "charging" is not working as it should.

My additional, own impressions:

At the begining I didn't fall in love in the new reserve, but now I really like to hunt there - specially for Sambar and Banteng. While I maybe preffer distance as my friend still, I find PB positively challenging. :) It has taste of adventure. :)

I realy like body models too, together with textures. However I see some cons here. I think for example, that buffalo head is modeled too similar to Banteng and to domestic cattle. On all photos I saw, in Buffalo the skull seems to be be somewhat narrower at the top - eyes are closer to each other. Snout looks also somewhat less "massive", I would say. For Bantengs, I'm not sure what to think with color variations. Everywhere I read, that there is simple to recognise (mature) males from females based on coloration. Females being reddish, brownish-red to brown, and males dark brown to black. But in game variation seems to be rather random. This would be interesting (and helpful) if by seeing black bull we could count on "mature" one, so possibly bearing high scorring horns. ;)

What I don't realy like are horns and antlers. Ok, maybe for Banteng horns are more less all right - however still lacking of shape variation I saw on internet. But buffalo horns feels for me as being modeled wrong... :P Too round in crossection, badly marked "ripples", and so on. Curved too upward in males. And of course, as with (not all, but...) quite many other animals in game, "top"-ones are highly exagerated in size.

And I really don't understand deers antlers - specially for Rusa they look nothing like in real. Well, at least compared to what I saw on photos. Ok, not every should look like the trophy ones from pictures, but where are those at all? :P It is somwhat better with Sambar, but even those are wrong to some point. Is this because of some engine limitations, or what? :/
Violator31
Outfitter

Post by Violator31 »

A couple of my 1st hunts there I saw the corners of the screen getting blurry or swirling around but I've never had to use the water bottle at all so I don't have any problems with that.
I like the jungle atmosphere, the sounds & even the rain doesn't bother me. In the other reserves sometimes the rain is too overpowering & annoying but I just block it out, in this reserve it just "fits"so it doesn't bother me either. I read where some people complained about so of the birds chatter being annoying..... I'm used to sitting in a tree stand & having Blue Jays carry on like I'm stomping their eggs - alerting every other creature within earshot that there is an intruder nearby, so these birds aren't a problem.
I like hunting any of the charging critter with the .454 hand canon & you are right, the Water Buffalo's actions are dulled or delayed. As a matter of fact I haven't even taken that gun there yet, no need to, I have time to raise the scoped rifle for the kill shot before the danger gets close.
I haven't taken too many of the deer there (I don't shoot too many does). The Sambar are tough. I think the animation is why they are so tough...meaning that, to show off the cool animation they've made them tougher to drop with what looks like a good shot. Too many times I've taken careful aim just to see the thing flop on the ground, bounce up & sprint off into the jungle. I don't mind that there isn't a caller for the Sambar. It makes it more rewarding to get a decent sized buck.
The Banteng sure do spook easy. But at least they are easier to see. I imagine the 2 deer species spook at about the same distance but I rarely see the spook like I do the Banteng.
I have yet to be attacked by hogs here. Generally I've seen them & managed to skirt around them,...so far.
I like the terrain, but it seems like a lot of areas look like I should be able to navigate are more slippery than on VDB. Usually in VDB if there is grass there I can climb that slope, here sometimes that clue doesn't work.
The tree roots, yes they can be annoying, but who posted photos (in another thread) of the gnarled up mess of trees in a real life tropical forest.... it seems like it was Radamus who shared them, it was from a different forum (that's right, he's 2 timing us). Those trees were crazy. It looked like they had to be crawled or climbed over.
(Radamus if that wasn't you that shared those photos, my apologies, it just seems like it was you...whoever it was, they were very cool photos)(some knife related forums).
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Tyvm for your comments guys .
Would like to say a big thx to Gas56 for helping out with my game settings . It is near perfect now . No major lag and visually a great improvement . Gameplay experience as got a real upgrade .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Stealthhunter
Tracker

Post by Stealthhunter »

I agree with a lot of what you are saying there DYEUZ especially adding a new animal like cassowary. However i don't normally like the rain in most maps but i like the rain in this map as it gives the map a real tropical feel and i come from Queensland which has great tropical weather and massive thunderstorms so i think it matches quite nicely. Everyone has their own opinions though on different parts of the game, so i can see where you are coming from.
Please click this link if you are interested in joining up to the UHCapps site. You can win prizes and earn points to get em on the UHCapps
Jagdreviermeister

Post by Jagdreviermeister »

When I'm at PB, I feel like there's only a handful of feral hogs. Mostly in the south, south-west area. Buffalos, Rusas, Sambars and Bantengs dominate this reserve. But I totaly agree with you guys that the hogs should get replaced by another, "more native australian" animal at some point. Could be a bird or a croc species instead. The hogs are simply a placeholder. That's what I was thinking from the beginning.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Jagdreviermeister wrote:But I totaly agree with you guys that the hogs should get replaced by another, "more native australian" animal at some point.
I always thought that all "native Australian" species have already gone extinct and have been replaced with pets from Britain... :? ;)
Image Image Image
Jagdreviermeister

Post by Jagdreviermeister »

You nailed it, Tanngnjostr! Sad but true. Keeping realism in mind, this fact argues for the game. Just like the hogs in Bushrangers. Such neozoon* animals, meaning animals which have established themselves in a region with or without human influence is of course an important part of realism of the game. In a healthy balance of course. But havn't we also the choice of picking out only the sweetest fruits of the cornucopia of RL? TheHunter in 1:1 real life conditions won't work for several reasons, as you know. That means in the other hand that we are (even in an ultra-realistic simulator) flexible in terms of the amount of realism we put into the game. We can bring whatever animals in any meaningful numbers to the reserves as long as they are somehow* native to them.
Yes, we are already at this point of making such choices in theHunter believe it or not. Travel to Iqualuit, Nunavut and try to get a shooting permission for a Polar Bear. You will fail faster than an illiterate who takes part at a fast typing competition! But don't we all enjoy hunting Polar Bears in tH? Of course we do! Do you get me?

Finally, before starting such a projekt like a new animal, ask the community for their opinions like you do with your annual surveys. That imo ensures satisfaction among the large part of the community, which can only be promising. Many hunters inclunding myself like hunting feral hogs. But I'm also pretty much sure that no 1 would have asked for them to appear in PB. They seem to be out of place there. In flight simulator X for example I also wouldn't fly a 747 powered by propeller engines. ;) It just don't seems to be right, you know?!

Please understand this as a positive review and a point of view.
mikeman1
Scout

Post by mikeman1 »

I'd swap pigs for some kind of game bird.
Code: Select all

Return to “Environment & Hunting Area Suggestions”