Old Deer Model Overhaul

ZTrophyBuckZ
Spotter

Old Deer Model Overhaul

Post by ZTrophyBuckZ »

Hey everyone! I've posted an idea similar to this a while back, but that was just focal on remodeling the older deer. I feel like with the release of Fallow/Axis and their more complex models/AI than the old deer models (i. e. Whitetail, Mule Deer, Blacktail, Sitka), I believe it's due time that the older deer receive some furnishing in order to make them feel more lively and more realistic. Black bear and Brown bear received realistic remodels, Turkeys received realistic remodels, and I believe it's due time for the deer to receive that same sort of love.

Whitetail Deer:
- Remodel: While the current/old model isn't bad, I feel as if it needs some refurbishing in order to be fitting with the detailed and realistic style of the newer deer species.
- Herding: Whitetails don't herd up in the game, but in real life does are quite social. Does should be seen in herds. Bucks should occasionally be seen in bachelor groups, but perhaps not very often.

Mule Deer:
- Remodel: Doesn't need to be said. Current/old model doesn't look all that great, and does not hold up to the modern deer models/AI.
- Herding: Herding for the most part is pretty good, though would like to see at least one buck within a group of does to create the feel of the buck making a "harem".

Blacktail Deer:
- Remodel: Same deal as Mule deer.
- Herding: Perfectly fine in my opinion.
- Rename: Rename to "Columbian Blacktail Deer", since Sitka are ALSO blacktail.

Sitka Deer:
- Remodel: Same deal as Mule deer and Blacktail.
- Herding: Herding is already pretty good, but would like to see a bit more does per herd.
- Rename: Rename to "Sitka Blacktail Deer".

If anyone else wants to share their thoughts/criticisms, feel free! I'm open to hear your guys' thoughts, too!
Last edited by ZTrophyBuckZ on May 19th, 2022, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZTrophyBuckZ
Spotter

Re: Old Deer Model Overhaul

Post by ZTrophyBuckZ »

I'll also be working in Blender to create my idea of the deer remodels for Classic. ;)
deerman30
Tracker

Post by deerman30 »

I believe that some of the animals in the game do need an overhaul, but that could probably only happen if the engine would even allow it. Still, I'd like to see what your renders look like.

I Love Big Racks
trulight
Scout

Post by trulight »

deerman30 wrote:I believe that some of the animals in the game do need an overhaul, but that could probably only happen if the engine would even allow it. Still, I'd like to see what your renders look like.
It will allow it, at the time a lot of these models were created it wasn't an engine issue, it was a computer performance consideration. You have to remember a lot of the models and textures were designed for pc's 10+ years ago :)
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

trulight wrote:
deerman30 wrote:I believe that some of the animals in the game do need an overhaul, but that could probably only happen if the engine would even allow it. Still, I'd like to see what your renders look like.
It will allow it, at the time a lot of these models were created it wasn't an engine issue, it was a computer performance consideration. You have to remember a lot of the models and textures were designed for pc's 10+ years ago :)
The minimum computer for this game as specified on Steam is a dual core CPU with 2Gb RAM and a GeForce 8800 or Radeon 2400. Recommended is an i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz (4C, 8T) with 8Gb RAM and a GTX760 (2Gb VRAM) or better. Despite those specs being incredibly weak even for this game now, is anyone really still using a computer resembling that to play? :shock:

So by all means, absolutely, upgrade the existing animals... but just forget it if they're going to look like the puma, the axis or the fallow deer. Those are poor representations of the originals when compared to the Lynx, the Sambar, or even the RM Elk. Those new models look like 3D cartoons and wouldn't even stress an old 2Gb graphics card. The Mule Deer on Timbergold literally looks more realistic than the puma, which was added 10 years later!! :x
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

ZTrophyBuckZ wrote:
Mule Deer:
- Remodel: Doesn't need to be said. Current/old model doesn't look all that great, and does not hold up to the modern deer models/AI.
- Herding: Herding for the most part is pretty good, though would like to see at least one buck within a group of does to create the feel of the buck making a "harem".
The problem is having a harem only happens during the rut. The mule deer rut is Nov-Jan depending on location. Our mule deer maps look like summer to me.

I'd love to see a rut in the game for deer and elk. I miss seeing two bucks/bulls sparring for the ladies.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
ZTrophyBuckZ
Spotter

Post by ZTrophyBuckZ »

OldMtnMan wrote:
ZTrophyBuckZ wrote:
Mule Deer:
The problem is having a harem only happens during the rut. The mule deer rut is Nov-Jan depending on location. Our mule deer maps look like summer to me.

I'd love to see a rut in the game for deer and elk. I miss seeing two bucks/bulls sparring for the ladies.
That is true. Though Timbergold Trails is a Fall map, but it'd be difficult to code a harem system specifically to one map for the species.
Comrade_Floof

Post by Comrade_Floof »

This is a great idea! Definitely with you here! I hope that at least next year the team will focus on reworking old content like remodeling animals and changing how some of the guns work.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Coding different behaviors would be a simple matter of renaming the model, I.E. whitetail 1 and whitetail 2 . then the game engine would see them as different animals and they can be assigned some of the same and some different A.Is, but still be recorded in the harvest result as plain whitetails.

The red deer are another that should have differing seasonal behaviors . Rut behavior and roaring and answering calls on Hirsch which is an autumn map, and no roaring but barking and answering the buck caller but not coming to calls on Val de bois which is a summer map.

So if red deer can have harem behavior why cant whitetails.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

ZTrophyBuckZ wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:
ZTrophyBuckZ wrote:
Mule Deer:

That is true. Though Timbergold Trails is a Fall map, but it'd be difficult to code a harem system specifically to one map for the species.
I can only answer for my state. Timbergold for me is late summer. I'm going by the colors of the aspens. Starts in early Sept through late Sept. I call it late summer because it can still be in the 70's of even low 80's. The leaves will have fallen off by early Oct. The rut starts in Nov. So, the deer rut would never be during a time period that looked like Timbergold.

I always considered fall as being colder and the leaves have fallen off the trees.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “Animal Suggestions”